Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just bought new springs for my clutch, oem ones. The new springs are quite a lot higher than the old ones when placed next to each other and I thought that was a sign that the old springs had lost a lot of its travel, but even so it feels to me like the new springs are softer and gives less resistance when I press them down evenly, so to me it feels like the new springs are applying less pressure to my clutch. Are there different "hardness" of clutch springs that gives different pressure to the clutch plate? I got my new springs here, and they do not have different types, so I was wondering if that even exists?

Thank you
Søren

·
Registered
854 Posts
The force that a spring exerts is dependent on the stiffness (kg/mm) and the amount that the spring is compressed (mm).

If you have a longer spring with a lower stiffness, and compress it to the same overall length (preload) as a stiffer spring having a shorter uncompressed length, you can achieve the same resultant force (kg) in each spring.

The compressed spring length is determined by the clutch plate stack height, so it will be the same for both springs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts