Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I have been on the search for better lighting for a while now. First I replaced the original projector lens with a zkw-r lens, but the light still sucked . After a ride my low beam headlight glass was cracked, so I then decided to make my own headlight lenses with acrylic (Did a write up on that too" "check signature for link". This was mainly to save money and somewhat of an updated look. Next I tried a pnp kit from DDM 35w h3 low beam only. But I was not happy with the light output. It looked to me like light was everywhere and even in the dark I could not see that well. So I settled on an e55 bi-xenon projector retrofit.

I then purchased the d2s connector, Phillips 85122+ bulb and used the previous ddm ballast. Next came a lot of cutting and swearing. But I think the end result is night and day from the stock, pnp and finally the full retrofit. Enjoy the pics

Pnp kit dark road HID FAIL

High beam, now not much spread due to acrylic lenses

E55 Projector down street tried different camera setting for best picture.

·
Registered
76 Posts
man that looks great! do you have any info and pics on how you did your E55 projector retrofit? any info and or pics would help. Im acually considering this on my bike since I do alot of ridding during the summer nights.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hovo, in the supplied picture I blacked out roughly what you would have to cut out. On the backside where the projector housing sticks out it is roughly 3in diameter. so you have to extend it out a bit but maybe try doing that last as once the projector is seated you may not need to cut it that much.

Cauliflower Ears: I dont have any pictures of that yet, but I simply shoved the ballast between the wires under the tach and speedo, i then used velcro to secure the ignitor.

if you guys have more questions i will try and answer them and supply photos, to assist anyone trying to do this.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, I did not make a bracket. I guess I could have but the e55 projector has plenty of material on the outside of it. So I just drilled two mounting holes that matched the mounting screws for the oem projector. I also cut some of the material to try and get a better fit.
Which projector were you thinking of using?
Here is a picture of an e55 bi xenon projector, for reference.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was thinking of using the FX projector since. the light output on those are alot more consistant from right to left. on the E55 its a bit more concentrated at the center and not as much at the sides. I did a TL retrofit on my jeep it came out pretty good.

its not a ducati.... but heres the album on my retrofit project.

HID retrofit pictures by dependonjohn - Photobucket

Attachments

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I like the results on your jeep. You also made your own lenses, I did that too in my never ending quest for better lights.
I had read the e55 had more light towards the middle and that maybe the e46 would be better but I thought the E55 would fit better, plus I don't ride too often where there are no street lights so I did not need all six lanes of traffic lit up I also already had the zkw-r lens and did not want it to go to waste so any 2.5 in projector was out of the question. I think the spread I got is sufficient. But I may be a little biased as I have already completed the install. :)

I like the fx projectors as well but I thought they may be too bulky to fit in the tight space of the oem projector housing and the headlight bucket. So I went with something that was slimmer up front. Post up pics when you get started and document the process. I am interested to see how yours turns out. Maybe you will convert me and I will go the fx route as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts