Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I love ducati,i love dry clutch and the only ducati that offers that for 3000 is the 748,
is it a good idea to buy it as a commuter bike ?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not unless your commute is less than 3 miles without a stop light. ;)

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
I'm 6'3", 37 years old, have a Corbin and Heli Bars on my 748, and am fine commuting unless its bumper to bumper. I've done a 530 mile day of mostly twisties and was fine after, but more than about 2 hours on an interstate is tough.

And 330 miles AFTER a 150 mile Road America trackday was not the best decision.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In all fairness - the Heli bars are on order and the Corbin seat will be soon. nine16 I agree.

·
Premium Member
3,708 Posts
Rode my 748R to work and around town when I lived down in Fort Myers...never bothered me...

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
if i only had $3000 to spend, the last bike i'd be looking at would be a ducati

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Whenever I get a chance, I ride my Duc to work. Its roughly 40 miles one way. When I get home, you bet your ass if the weather permits, I'm out again cruising the country roads and such. I absolutely love riding my bike. It used to be painful, just the sheer aggressiveness of the riding position would catch up to me. 5000 miles later I'm totally confident that I could ride all day, so long as my partner can keep up.

I've learned to gently grip the bike with my legs and support my torso with my abs, so much that if i were to remove my hands from the grips, my body would remain the same-I usually do this when my arms or wrists get tired. Learning and adapting to this style has given me far more stamina and allows me to have greater control of the bike.

I'm about 6' and 190lbs- I wouldn't say I am all that fit either. You just have to stick with it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
$3000.00 for a 748? Quite the deal unless it has mucho miles. I wouldn't commute on it. I had one. Too uncomfortable, and too many miles on a high maintenance bike. ST2 would be a better choice I think. Not as cool but way more comfortable.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
You CAN (i did) but there are better bikes out there.. If your set on a Ducati, I´d look hard at a Monster if it´s mostly city and an older ST2 or ST4 if its abit more freeway.

But the 748 can be set up to be a pretty good commuter. Higher and wider clipons, lower rearsets are a good start. I´d also get engine ice for the coolant and do buckelew´s fan modification so you can turn the cooling fan on manually. But i have to say that $3000 for a 748 for everyday use? Sounds a little suspicious in my book. If its an older 748, your going to have to check the charging system aswell.

//amullo

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
if i only had $3000 to spend, the last bike i'd be looking at would be a ducati
+1000......The first thing you'd want to do is change the belts, check the valves, and inspect the rockers for flaking chrome. If all you have is $3000, avoid a desmoquattro engined Ducati. The valves and timing belts will run you another $500+ unless you do it yourself, and if you need to replace any rockers, those are $80 each for replated ones and the engine potentially has 16 rockers you may have to worry about. For $3000, and if you absolutely NEED a Ducati, look into some of the 90's SS900 bikes, the early Monsters 900, and ST2 bikes (for the dry clutch). For a commuter, I'd look at a Desmodue (2V) engine because they are much better engines for commuting....or at least that is my opinion on the basis of reliability, cost of parts, ease of maintenance, and engine reputations.

BTW - I bought my wife's ST2 for $3200, sold all the items I didn't want off of it (Corbin seat, tall sindshield, top box, bar risers), bought a couple of items (used slip-ons, eprom), and I only have about $2600 in it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I bought mine for $3200 this week, a '99 with 4161 miles. Price started at $4200 but in this economy you can bottom feed if you're patient. Look in Tampa, Phoenix, Miami, anyplace that's getting killed in the real estate market and don't be afraid to walk away. They'll come back. That's my strategy anyway.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I bought mine for $3200 this week, a '99 with 4161 miles.
A couple of weeks ago I saw a 748 ('99, I think) on the Atlanta Craigslist that was repainted black with an asking price of $2000.

Once you start getting over $4000, people start looking at used 916. 996, 749, and 999 bikes. The 748 has proven to not be a very desirable bike over the last few years. With the mileage and apparent condition of yours, it looks like a really good deal for $3200.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts