Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unheard of to get a really cheap xx8 in a basket (i.e. a basket bike like my first CB450 in the early 80s LOL) - broken and abused etc. to rebuild from scratch? I'd love to sink my teeth into something new...and make it beautiful.

Shawn

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Is it unheard of to get a really cheap xx8 in a basket (i.e. a basket bike like my first CB450 in the early 80s LOL) - broken and abused etc. to rebuild from scratch? I'd love to sink my teeth into something new...and make it beautiful.

Shawn
If you have an unbelievable amount of money to spend on such a project, then you might as well get a decent bike and go from there. There's a nice one for sale now in the classifieds. I do not believe you will save any money at all buying a basket case 748 or 998 and bringing it back to something really nice. You will more than likely spend far more that way. No matter how much you look around in the aftermarket, eventually you will have to buy at least some OEM parts and those are going to cost you big money.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Yeah. Considering even great 748's go for under $5k, there's little point in buying a basket case.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Agree with repsonses. I bought a '99 with 4600 miles for well under $4000. Search around the country and be patient. Areas likes Phoenix, Miami, Tampa, that are getting hammered in real estate had especially good opportunities. Search Craigs and Ebay every day and jump on the opportunity when you see one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I built a 916 basket case last winter and ended up about 6k deep in it.
It would have cost the same or less to buy one in reasonable shape.
I didn't do it to save money, just for fun.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I built a 916 basket case last winter and ended up about 6k deep in it.
It would have cost the same or less to buy one in reasonable shape.
I didn't do it to save money, just for fun.
Yah, you guys have pretty much talked me out of it - didn't realize it would be so expensive. I guess there's a difference money-wise between an early 70s CB450 and a Ducati basketbike LOL:)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I bought a 2000 748 with a very noisy engine and all fairings damaged for $500, and took a year making it into mine, put a 996 engine in, gold forks 4piston 4 pad calipers, cudtom red bull bodywork, white 5 spoke marchesini wheels, termi exhaust, it is a one of a kind and awesome, I prolly have 5 or 6 K in it total, but it is awesome and have turned down 10K, what a fun project and would love to do it with a 1098 type project:D

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Yeah, but $500 for a clean titled bike is a better than a basket case--especially if it "just" needs a motor, forks, and the plastics. Saving a bit with 3 spokes and such, you could have even had it on the road and looking good for a total investment of barely $3k (performing all labor yourself).

Point is that $500 is completely atypically low, even for a basket case. Great find and job though!

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
BTW, interesting that you should choose a CB450 basket and the 748, because those are the exact two bikes I have.

What started as a $700 semi-basket 1971 Honda CB450 was quickly taken down to:

And made into:

While hardly a basket case, my 1998 748 stared pretty much like this (had 3 spokes when I bought it though):

And has become this:

Together:

Scary thing is, even doing most of the labor myself (paint and 498cc hi-compression motor were professionally done), I have as much money in that cafe as I do in the magnesium/carbon fiber/full Ohlins Ducati.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, that's awesome! Beautiful bikes man!

OK so there's no way around the money, that much is clear, but if I did take this up and buy a really, really beaten 748 I could at least do it on my own time as the paycheques come in, and learn a lot in the process...geesh big decisions...

Shawn

·
9,757 Posts
Shawn, you can buy my 748S if you're interested, not exactly a basket case though lol, never down, never abused:

All of the following parts are Ducati Performance CF:
front fender
mirrors
one piece fairings
exhaust shield
chain and brake line guard

Also has:
Termi CF slipons
Ultimap Chip
SC1000 front rotors (lighter than stock snowflakes)
Brembo GP 19x20 radial front brake master cylinder
Rizoma clutch cover
Evoluzione fender eliminator
Evoluzione sidestand killswitch delete
Custom Dynamics LED brakelight/turnsignals (actually works in daylight!)
Kellerman micro polo front turn signals
Sargent seat with yellow piping (the yellow looks awesome in person and matches the rear spring and the yellow Marchesini decals on the wheels. Tried red piping and it looked bland).

PM me if you're interested, you'd have to send me your Rizoma timing belt cover as a partial trade though :p

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
9,757 Posts
There are places that sell salvage motorcycle wrecks, some of them are just plastic that is scuffed, others are pretty bad. Let me see if I can find the one that used to send me updates.

Here's one.

http://wreckedbike.com/motorcycles.html

Another

http://www.safaricycle.com/sub.php?c=used&make=DUCATI

There are a load of them out there. Careful now.
LOL is this one a Xerox? Ouch! haha

http://www.safaricycle.com/mc_customer_detail.php?sn=73264

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shawn, you can buy my 748S if you're interested, not exactly a basket case though lol:

All of the following parts are Ducati Performance CF:
front fender
mirrors
one piece fairings
exhaust shield
chain and brake line guard

Also has:
Termi CF slipons
Ultimap Chip
SC1000 front rotors (lighter than stock snowflakes)
Brembo GP 19x20 radial front brake master cylinder
Rizoma clutch cover
Evoluzione fender eliminator
Evoluzione sidestand killswitch delete
Custom Dynamics LED brakelight/turnsignals (actually works in daylight!)
Kellerman micro polo front turn signals
Sargent seat with yellow piping (the yellow looks awesome in person and matches the rear spring and the yellow Marchesini decals on the wheels. Tried red piping and it looked bland).

PM me if you're interested, you'd have to send me your Rizoma timing belt cover as a partial trade though :p
Been waiting a long time to see that bike LOL! Looks awesome man.

I like the window on the Rizoma but the rest ain't carbon, so I could in 3 hours rebuild the look with plexi if I can find a carbon replacement.

Bike's off for paint, so can't show any pics yet, will when she gets back. I didn't do a standard Ducati job, so I might get some flack (lots of Italian green, not red...)...

No naked chicks or demons though:) And no General Lee which I loved but no one else liked...

I went big time on the paint so I'm very nervous, but it's my old boss who is one of the best and most winningest so I should just relax...and his bro (incredible artist too!) was at one point fastest guy in Canada, so I'm keeping my hopes up on the final product!

I also got a hookup with Lang Hindle to dyno my bike...but probably won't happen til beginning of the season. I just want the Nemesis to work properly...Lang can do that I'm sure! Long as he doesn't try to sell me an exhaust...I love my LV!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts