Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not been able to find a good drawing of the layout of the 748 air intake system, and admittedly I'm yet to tear this bike down that far myself (when I bought it last summer, I took it straight to the shop and had a Ducati tech put Kevlar belts and new air filters, etc. in it). So I've got a couple questions about the intake system.

It's my understanding that there are two conventional filters at the bottom of the airbox which guard the intake trumpets. Correct?

I also see that there is a (mostly disintegrated) sponge-type filter located in each runner tube. What purpose do they serve?

Lastly, I just received my fairings back from the paint shop and, in the process of putting them back together, I've discovered that the stock air screens from the upper fairing seem incredibly restrictive (like you can barely blow air through them). I saw where a guy had basically used gutter fence as a replacement for that screen, totally eliminating the flow resistance and it actually looked good to boot. I've got a piece of mesh that I'm going to mold for the fairing, but I'm wondering how that screen attaches to the fairing, exactly? There's a strip of rubber molding that runs around the outside of the hole on the inner surface, does the screen attach to that with some type of adhesive?

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
I've not been able to find a good drawing of the layout of the 748 air intake system, and admittedly I'm yet to tear this bike down that far myself (when I bought it last summer, I took it straight to the shop and had a Ducati tech put Kevlar belts and new air filters, etc. in it). So I've got a couple questions about the intake system.

It's my understanding that there are two conventional filters at the bottom of the airbox which guard the intake trumpets. Correct?

I also see that there is a (mostly disintegrated) sponge-type filter located in each runner tube. What purpose do they serve?...

Am not positive, but I believe that the basic model, in its default configuration, had only the filters on the inside of the air runners. (Ricambi_1_33_st2_USA by Ducati Omaha... go to page 71.)

By the way, you should be able to find a Parts Manual for your 748, just like this one, at Ducati.com. If not, you can always use the ones at Ducati Omaha... Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche - Ducati Parts

Lastly, I just received my fairings back from the paint shop and, in the process of putting them back together, I've discovered that the stock air screens from the upper fairing seem incredibly restrictive (like you can barely blow air through them). I saw where a guy had basically used gutter fence as a replacement for that screen, totally eliminating the flow resistance and it actually looked good to boot. I've got a piece of mesh that I'm going to mold for the fairing, but I'm wondering how that screen attaches to the fairing, exactly? There's a strip of rubber molding that runs around the outside of the hole on the inner surface, does the screen attach to that with some type of adhesive?
It looks to me that the adhesive used to bond the screen to the inside of the fairing is very similar to what you would see from a hot glue gun...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i read that if you use other than the foam style filters, it restricts airflow and you have to reset the CO trimmer and air/fuel settings to make it run right.

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
The screens are held in place with a type of double sided 3M automotive molding adhesive tape. You can get it at any auto parts store off the shelve. Many just remove the OEM screens. You have a large air box for "reserve" air. I am not sure that those tight screens (really prefilters of sorts) restrict all that much for a stock engine. I did take mine out and installed more open screen, but I also have an aftermarket FBF stage one chip for open exhaust that supposedly allows for intake mods too. Runs very good, so I guess it does.

Much discussion on filters. The bikes come stock (all street models) with dry open cell foam filters in the air tubes. The discussion centers around benefits of those compared to aftermarket filters that cover over both air intakes like a large foam hat. The argument for the large in air box filters is they provide better filtering because of the poor OEM tank to air box seal provided by the older style (lipped) rubber gasket. The argument against is it may effect proper air box resonance due to much of the air box volume being taken up by foam. I believe this to be true. Take a bunch of foam and stuff it in an acoustic guitar and see what happens (or pillows in a kick drum)! Does that effect the bikes performance in the real world of normal street riding? I have no idea...

Argument for the OEM in tube filters. They allow for the largest air box volume without effecting resonance. The argument against is as mentioned, poor sealing of the tank to air box gasket.

My (unscientific) solution. I use the VERY updated, but kind of expensive OEM air box to tank gasket. It seals. Nothing gets through unless you crash and rip your tank off. I also use aftermarket Pipercross oiled foam OEM style (in air tube) filters. You can clean and re oil them as needed. Is that they way to go? I have no back to back dyno runs or race track lap times to show for or against, but I like it so it is for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts