Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had posted on you here that I had received a nice little crack on my low beam headlight from a rock during a ride. Since I do not really have the backing of my wife to buy a new headlight, I decided to try and make my own. I got the idea from the hidplanet thread.
So what I did is buy some duraplex acrylic from Lowes and started to pull apart my headlights. I first removed all the excess rubber butyl from the headlights so removing them would be easier. Once that was done I baked them in the oven for approximately 6 minutes. I then pried open the lens with two butter knives. Once I got a nice little opening on one side I pushed the knife thru to the other side and pushed and pulled to lift up the lens. Oh I did use duct tape on the broken lamp as I did not want a bunch of pieces. I then did the same to the high beam side without the tape as it was still intact. Anyway long story short made a mold with cement and thermoformed the acrylic. Just thought I would share my results.
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,866 Posts
And let that be a lesson to all the wives out there: If you don't let hubby buy the things he needs, you just might wind up with motorcycle parts in your oven.

You crazy mofo. Well done!

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
So... are you going to mass produce them?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,866 Posts
I was just thinking the same thing. You should try to buy a bunch of broken or badly hazed ones cheap and sell "refurbished" for $200 a pop--or on a repair or exchange basis for $150.

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,547 Posts
I use a one piece acrylic headlamp protector but the bike looks better without it.
Most new cars have acrylic headlamp lenses & they don't break from stone chips so it would be better to fit acrylic lenses like super dooper has.

In case anyone wants two piece protectors : Ducati 748, 916, 996, 998 Headlight Guards
Much cheaper than replacing a headlight.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats awesome and looks way better. How did you thermo form them?
What U did was build a frame that would sandwich the acrylic and used 4 bolts with wing nuts. I also made a cut out of the lens in a mdf board so that I could get the exact shape I needed after baking the acrylic and placing it over the mold. The cut it was just a bit bigger to take into account the thickness of the plastic "did not want to tear the plastic". Once the plastic is all set in the frame I preheat the oven to 350 degrees and set the timer for 4 minutes. At this time I have already set up my pieces so I can grab them really quick as the stuff cools really quick. Pull the plastic out place over mold, push down hold for a second then grab your cutout place over the mold and this is where you get the nice 90 degree corners. I think that is about it on thermoforming it, although there are more steps involved with other things like the mold, which needs to be done in bondo and finishing putty, and sanded to flawless finish, other wise the acrylic will pick up any imperfections. Which minor stuff can be sanded down with increasing sandpaper from 1000 thru 2500 and finished with plastic scratch remover.

nine16 said:
And let that be a lesson to all the wives out there: If you don't let hubby buy the things he needs, you just might wind up with motorcycle parts in your oven.

You crazy mofo. Well done!
Yeah I don't think she would be too crazy about me sticking bike parts in the oven, especially the acrylic as it really smells like burning plastic and make the house stink. I tried to do it all while she was at work, the baking parts. I was running around with air freshener trying to cover the smell. I know she smelled it once, but did not say anything. Just asked once "How did you form them? Uhhhhhhmm, I heated them?? Then I walked away fast.

davy-j said:
So... are you going to mass produce them?
I had thought about making a few more if people needed them, but I have not yet decided. plus I have a new kid on the way and the plastic smell would really tee off the wife with a new one in the house. Although I could buy a craigslist oven and put it in the garage. And make a vacuum thermoforming table. I just think it may be a rally small niche market, so I could probably make some here and there. Thinking small niche yellow blur had all kinds of request for fuel nuts including myself, so maybe not so small.
Thanks guys for the compliments. If anyone has anymore questions I am happy to answer.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,866 Posts
If you get several people to order them, you can do them all in one shot and send the wife out on a "Spa Day" to get away from the smell. I think that would make her a lot more understanding. :)

·
Old Wizard
3,000 Posts
Shine your lights on a wall and show us a picture of the light pattern you're getting from these lenses. My guess is you're going to blind oncoming traffic and have severe lighting hot spots with these.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
Not so sure about that.. Atleast not on the lowbeam which is the important one.

Not many waves on/in the cover/glass there for aiming the beam on the lowbeam projector side. Seems the projector is doing the aiming and slicing the asymetrical aswell. No "pie" in the glass what i can see.

(Another front example on the stock unit: http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2008\06\04\bikepics-1310398-full.jpg )
I bet that if you take the projector OUT of the housing it will still have a good beam throw just like on the 999 which has no covering at all! Granted.. The highbeam on this is going to suffer from low beamspread.

I like it!
The lowbeam side looks very nice. The highbeam looks alittle off, but maybe that is just down to what I´m used to seeing.
I´d buy a pair of those glass/accryllic things if they where for sale.

//A

·
Registered
35 Posts
Great job! The high beam side of my headlight was broke when I bought my 748, I found a headlight that was broke in half bought it for 40.00 bucks and pullled the lens out and replaced. BOOM new light. Thanks for sharing the tip hope you can make some "parts for the bike" money on the side!
YD

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
amullo: In talking and reading with the hidplanet guys and TheRetrofitsource people it does all come down to the lens on the projector "which I have also modded with a zkw-r lens" and what comes out as the beam pattern. The headlight cover "new one" is not completely perfect as I was running out of time, since I wanted to ride on the weekend. So there are some small distortions because I got tired of sanding the mold, but I figured I could always make more now that I have everything I need, and practice makes perfect.

I am not trying to blind on-coming traffic but we all know our original lights suck, that is why most people will get HID lights or try new bulbs. This is just something new I wanted to try. If the high beam blinds people I can make a lens with the flutes like the oem and it will even have the labeling but I don't think I will be using the high beam much as the low seems to be sufficient.
I will try and get a wall shot soon.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
amullo: In talking and reading with the hidplanet guys and TheRetrofitsource people it does all come down to the lens on the projector "which I have also modded with a zkw-r lens" and what comes out as the beam pattern. The headlight cover "new one" is not completely perfect as I was running out of time, since I wanted to ride on the weekend. So there are some small distortions because I got tired of sanding the mold, but I figured I could always make more now that I have everything I need, and practice makes perfect.

I am not trying to blind on-coming traffic but we all know our original lights suck, that is why most people will get HID lights or try new bulbs. This is just something new I wanted to try. If the high beam blinds people I can make a lens with the flutes like the oem and it will even have the labeling but I don't think I will be using the high beam much as the low seems to be sufficient.
I will try and get a wall shot soon.
Hey dude, I´m 100% om your side on this.. The projector is what shapes the lowbeam on our bikes. The glass/plastic infront of it is just a cover, just like on modern cars with projectorlights.

The highbeam is only for use when you cant blind anyone anyway, so that is up to you.. :)

It looks great!

//A

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
The highbeam is only for use when you cant blind anyone anyway, so that is up to you.. :)
Although if it scatters too much you may not see so far ahead? and, as we all know, these bikes don't have the best lights and I'm not sure what focuses the beam?

But yes a very clean & tidy look.

·
Super Moderator
8,189 Posts
The higbeam is focused by the glass and reflector whereas the lowbeam is focused by the projectors lense.

The highbeam side has very specific "waves" in the glass to focus the light in certain areas to compensate for what the reflector does. You take those away (like this clear cover does) and your probably going to get an uneven beam that will likely have hotspots or points of illumination that are very bright while other points are not.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Awesome job indeed! Just curious (I ride 848 so I don't know), but how much is a new unit?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The high beam is focused by the glass and reflector whereas the low beam is focused by the projectors lens.

The high beam side has very specific "waves" in the glass to focus the light in certain areas to compensate for what the reflector does. You take those away (like this clear cover does) and your probably going to get an uneven beam that will likely have hotspots or points of illumination that are very bright while other points are not.
Amullo, I read my previous post it kind of sounds like I was attacking you, I was not trying to do that, just answering questions, mainly the one posted by shazam about blinding on coming traffic. But yest I know you are on my side thank you.

The focus point "height" is one issue I ran into with trying to replace the low beam projector lens, the oem is 24mm and I think the zkw-r is approximately 22mm. So the beam looks pretty good without spreading everywhere.
The high beam looks like it is a ball when shined on the closed garage door at approximately 8-10 ft. So once I get it in the middle of the street I will try and take pics to see if it spreads everywhere. And you are right if I use the highs I only use them when there is no one around.

02-998: thanks for the compliment.

Cerberus: The cost of a new unit is approximately 590.99 and used on ebay is around 350.00+. I did see one on here for 150.00 but i missed out, but did not care as I was almost done with my project.

Danny

1 - 20 of 33 Posts