Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.

I'm about to fit a 748 kickstand to my Sport Classic 1000. Can you confirm whether it's a suicide stand or not (it seems to be) and whether or not it accommodates an engine kill switch (I assume it would not if it's a suicide stand).

I just want to make sure I have all the right bits, switches, tools and expectations, before I try to fit it in my driveway.

Thanks

·
Registered
218 Posts
Picture

Pics would help but i have a 916 and it has a one so im sure the 748 does. But like i said pictures would help to answer your question.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I was wondering about the kickstand bolt on my 2k 748. Side stand switch was ziptied up in the harness, and it had one of these bolts securing it when I got it. Good to know it's a real thing lol.

Are you looking to use the side stand switch? If not, while that TPO bypass kit is nice it's not needed. Just pull the side stand switch relay, get two spade connectors and a bit of wire and jump the terminals for the side stand switch signal. Then shrink tube it.

·
Premium Member
887 Posts
Pretty sure it's year dependent, not sure when it changed over, my 98 916 has a suicide stand and no switch, my 01 748 did not have a suicide stand but did have a kill switch, since bypassed.

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
Pretty sure it's year dependent, not sure when it changed over, my 98 916 has a suicide stand and no switch, my 01 748 did not have a suicide stand but did have a kill switch, since bypassed.
+1 It absolutely was model year dependent. My '02 has the kill switch and no suicide stand. Also bypassed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
yep, might be market dependent too. my 99 euro market 996 had one, my 2000 aus delivered 996 didn't... to be honest I kind of miss the suicide stand. when I switched bikes it was a pain as I kept expecting the stand to just spring up as a picked the bike up off it.

so if anyone who's converted their suicide to a non-suicide/flick up stand wants to sell me the bits they removed I'm keen!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I had eliminate suicide stand on my 1998 916 successfully without any TPO kits or aftermarket parts.

I am also running mid section harness from 2001 748, so it was equipped with sidestand switch.

Basically, I purchased a "curved sidestand swing plate" from 2002 996, to replace the "straight sidestand swing plate" on my 1998 916. This curved plate allows return spring to travel further without the curved plate rubbing on the hex nut.

Then, I just connect the 2 wires from harness to sidestand switch, so it will close the sidestand relay.

All together a $10 experience.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts