Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Intro:
Hello from Los Angeles!

Wanted to start a thread for my build on here so I can hopefully have a running bike one day! I currently have a '05 S2R 800 that I've been riding since '06. Done all kinds of things to that bike but ultimately I wanted something with more power. Considered going up to an S4R, but I just couldn't let go of my monster. Another idea was swapping a bigger engine in but at the end of the day, its just an S2R.. So instead I decided to build a Tamburini with an 1100 DS :D

Goal:
Timeless 916 looks with the easy maintenance of a 2 valve Ducati. Street bike, but will likely end up at the track.

Plan:
Obviously the cheaper route would have been to buy a complete bike and go from there. However, these are getting more and more expensive and I just wouldn’t feel right hacking up a clean Tamburini. That, along with the fact that I am building this in a 2 car garage (that houses two small SUVs, my tools, Monster, and now this) means space is limited.

My strategy was to look for bargain parts and slowly build the bike. I really enjoy working on my bike and am looking forward to the journey of building this one – I have always like tinkering with thing’s and this is by far my most ambitions project yet. It helps having another Ducati in the garage, and the fact that a lot of parts will be interchangeable between the two is also exciting. They’ll likely trade shoes often at the very least, and this way I can leave my Monster intact as it currently is.

Starting Point:

Main Components:
  • 748 Frame with adjustable head tube
  • 748 Showa Forks and rear shock
  • 10 Spoke Evo Wheels (Silver)
  • 50mm Termignoni Mufflers
  • 5AM.BF HW610 ECU
  • 1100 DS Engine from ’09 Hypermotard
Obstacles:
Mocking things up for the first time made it apparent what the challenges would be for the build. No surprise, as I had read up on them before starting this whole thing. The main issues to resolve were:
  • Larger openings for engine bolts (easy)
  • Engine casing: Oval hole to accommodate 748 Frame
  • Cross member of the frame needs to be modified to run the DS throttle bodies

The engine bolts were a simple fix, just 2 more mm

Engine casings I was a little more nervous about. Some people fixed this by talking the engine to a machine shop, and that is probably the best option. Others used the frame as a guide and used a drill. I rigged up a shop vac from the opposite side of the engine opening and used a drill and burr bit to shave down the casings on each side over a few nights.

More on that project here

The cross member was something I was initially going to send out, but after doing the engine casings I felt like I could do it, and did!

The dremel wasnt ideal for this LOL, I ended up getting a new grider the following day and the job went much faster. So fast that I nicked one of the airbox mounts, but nothing a spot weld can’t fix, as it didn’t get to the threads. With the crossmember out of the way I was able to mount the throttle bodies and continue sorting out the rest of the components.

Here's a little mock up of the potential set up for the new cross members.

Next up was the air box. Initially I wanted to run this sealed, the way it was originally, but that is something I wouldn’t want to rush, so I kicked that project down the road and went with pod filters as most suggested.

Rough cuts... regretted using my good blades on the damn frame!

Used some silicone turbo elbow couplers and cut them down to fit properly. For now, it will do!

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bargain Hunting:
As we all know, headlights for these bikes are stupid expensive. I was having a hard time finding a set under $400 until I came across these on eBay for $250

Looked like a clean break in the photos, so I pulled the trigger and hoped I would be able to repair them with epoxy.

When they arrived, I was relieved to find that the break was very clean. No pieces missing or anything! It came together very well so mixed up some JB weld and left it over night.

I'll be sanding it down and giving the lights a coat of black paint to finish it off.

Clocks I am using are from 750SS. Paid $80 for them in decent condition, but the temp gauge arrived broken :( Searched high and low for alternatives, but doesnt seem like there is much out there for broken gauge glass (plastic, actually). I managed to work out a credit with the seller and picked up another gauge for replacement, so clocks are pretty much done

Electrical:
I need to start sorting the electrical soon.. Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!

Being that I am running the same ECU as my monster, I figured a good starting point would be a monster harness. I found one for cheap and it showed up with a few broken connectors, which I expected. However, I was quickly overwhelmed by how to run the wiring through the bike. Given that I was stuck, I went through the shop manual for the 748 and decided to pick up a 748 harness, as it would be the easiest to replicate.

The 748 harness is super clean with all connectors in tact, though I'm sure I wont use some of them.

One thing that I still have to sort out is where the battery will go. I am committed to leaving the engine open and unobstructed by oil lines or other components.

Notice the oil lines are run under the front cylinder, same way I have it on my S2R.

One options is mounting it on the opposite side, which I think should work... but I am leaning towards putting it in the tail section along with the ECU and most of the electrical components. Another Idea I had was lowering the oil cooler and mounting the battery in its place.

Gotta do some homework on that.

Comments/Feedback encouraged! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 Monster S2R1000
19 Posts
This is going to be great! I love the idea of the classic 916 style with an air-cooled engine.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,228 Posts
Bargain Hunting:
As we all know, headlights for these bikes are stupid expensive. I was having a hard time finding a set under $400 until I came across these on eBay for $250
View attachment 1004400
Looked like a clean break in the photos, so I pulled the trigger and hoped I would be able to repair them with epoxy.

When they arrived, I was relieved to find that the break was very clean. No pieces missing or anything! It came together very well so mixed up some JB weld and left it over night.
View attachment 1004401
View attachment 1004402
I'll be sanding it down and giving the lights a coat of black paint to finish it off.

Clocks I am using are from 750SS. Paid $80 for them in decent condition, but the temp gauge arrived broken :( Searched high and low for alternatives, but doesnt seem like there is much out there for broken gauge glass (plastic, actually). I managed to work out a credit with the seller and picked up another gauge for replacement, so clocks are pretty much done
View attachment 1004403

Electrical:
I need to start sorting the electrical soon.. Dun dun DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNNNN!!!!!!!!

Being that I am running the same ECU as my monster, I figured a good starting point would be a monster harness. I found one for cheap and it showed up with a few broken connectors, which I expected. However, I was quickly overwhelmed by how to run the wiring through the bike. Given that I was stuck, I went through the shop manual for the 748 and decided to pick up a 748 harness, as it would be the easiest to replicate.

The 748 harness is super clean with all connectors in tact, though I'm sure I wont use some of them.

One thing that I still have to sort out is where the battery will go. I am committed to leaving the engine open and unobstructed by oil lines or other components.
View attachment 1004405
Notice the oil lines are run under the front cylinder, same way I have it on my S2R.

One options is mounting it on the opposite side, which I think should work... but I am leaning towards putting it in the tail section along with the ECU and most of the electrical components. Another Idea I had was lowering the oil cooler and mounting the battery in its place.

Gotta do some homework on that.

Comments/Feedback encouraged! Thanks!
that is a nice oil cooler you have there. The engine is also looking good with the cooler lines under the front cylinder. Too bad that most of it will end up hidden by the 748 engine covers.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
530 Posts
You inspired me to put my air cooled motor in an 1198 frame, mostly because I didn’t wanna mess with cutting and welding cross braces.

let’s see who finishes first 😏

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is a nice oil cooler you have there. The engine is also looking good with the cooler lines under the front cylinder. Too bad that most of it will end up hidden by the 748 engine covers.
Thanks! It came with the bike, which was awesome because that was the exact one I wanted for the build.

And yes, the fairings would hide the engine. But when she runs around naked she'll look good too ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Very cool, I’m looking to do the same but with an 848 frame.
Still searching for a salvage frame and engine....
Subscribed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Slow progress lately, mainly sorting electrical stuff but I think I have a handle on that 🤞🏻

But first I need a home for the battery.

The opposite side seems like it would be the easiest. Just need new mounting tabs for a battery box.

This keeps the other side clean and a lower center of gravity.. I guess lol. Definitely close to factory as far as location.

Option 2 is putting the battery in the tail, but I worry about running out of space for the rest of the electronics if I try to fit it there. And the upper weight may make a difference?

thoughts?

also picked up a new subframe since the other was bent and would only bolt up 3/4 bolts :D

I’ll probably paint it gloss black as I liked that look.

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
530 Posts

you’ve inspired me to go the distance. Do you think the oval holes in the cases will cause issues? I’m thinking the bushings will keep everything aligned and squarely pinched up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you run the bike naked, I would think you will regret not hiding the battery.

Slow progress lately, mainly sorting electrical stuff but I think I have a handle on that 🤞🏻

But first I need a home for the battery.

The opposite side seems like it would be the easiest. Just need new mounting tabs for a battery box.

View attachment 1004914

This keeps the other side clean and a lower center of gravity.. I guess lol. Definitely close to factory as far as location.

Option 2 is putting the battery in the tail, but I worry about running out of space for the rest of the electronics if I try to fit it there. And the upper weight may make a difference?

thoughts?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
View attachment 1005003

you’ve inspired me to go the distance. Do you think the oval holes in the cases will cause issues? I’m thinking the bushings will keep everything aligned and squarely pinched up.
NICE! Boy, I know it must have felt good when you got the rod all the way through!

I don't think it will cause issues. With 4 solid mounting bolts and the spacers on the rear swingarm, its a snug fit.

Absolute worst case, I would take the engine and bore the cases even more to fit a custom insert through the bore. That way its totally secured, but I don't think it will be necessary. I got the idea to do the oval hole from others who have swapped frames/engines, so I am not the pioneer for that mod lol.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you run the bike naked, I would think you will regret not hiding the battery.
I keep telling myself that!

The one think that I keep getting hung up on is how clean it could look if I did it like the 848-1098 bikes, that have the battery on the lower left side:

Would be convenient because I could run the regulator and ECU there. But then again, I also don't have the hoses for the radiator to fill up that space and I keep coming back to exactly what you said: I will probably regret it if I ever do want to run the bike naked. Probably wont be often, but it will look really cool :)

(And yes, the oil lines need to be tidied up)

·
Registered
949 Posts
Cool project! I have an S2R 1000 motor that's needs rebuilding and want to do some sort of hybrid with it. I have an ST frame, some 748 forks, wheels and a bunch of bits laying around the shop. Could almost put one together buying minimal stuff

1 - 20 of 36 Posts