Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a bunch of different resources trying to figure out what I've got on my bike currently. Here's my situation-

The "bitsa" bike i'm working on (74 frame/860 motor) has some weird configuration that I'm not seeing in any pictures or reading resources. I believe they're on BACKWARDS!? The nut is on the driver's Right side and the calipers are trailing the fork.

SEE PIC

I've got a dual rotor, with dual brembo disk brakes, on the spoked wheel (boranni wm-2/ 1.85-19/40, record rm 01-4404). Theres hardly any clearance between the spokes and the calipers. The forks are center-axle type.

I know there were options at the time to run dual disks on the front, but all the pictures i'm seeing show the calipers on the leading side of the fork. Am I correct that the forks are backwards, or was this some "secret mod" that people did? I'm confused. I'm wanting to take off the wheels and clean them up so I can replace tires, rebuild brakes, wheels, etc. I don't want to waste my time if the setup that is on there is incorrect or dangerous.

Any direction or suggestions would be awesome---

Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
You are right that the calipers originally were at the front of the forks, but in terms of mechanical correctness they should go at the rear - it is to do with steering and braking - so some owners turned them around. In practice it makes no difference, so the choice is yours.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Duccout.

Mechanically, I guess that makes sense. The tolerance between the rotor and the fork is super tight. Same between the spokes and the calipers. I'm going to clean up the wheels, purchase a bearing kit, sprockets, chain, (maybe new rotors?) and either rebuild or purchase new f08's.

I've got a second set of wheels I could use that are basically the same aside from saying "Crossed". This is just referring to the spoke configuration, correct? Is there any advantage? The wheels that are "crossed" appear to be chromed, where as the spokes that are currently on the bike seem like they are painted.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I believe that the spoked wheels always came with painted spokes, so the spare wheels have probably been rebuilt with chrome spokes. I don't know what the 'crossed' writing means. Do you need new rotors? if you wish to refurbish them you can do this with a wire wheel and some black heat resistant paint, or have them sand blasted. New rotors are very expensive and costs soon mount up.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Carter: if you decide to rebuild your calipers, break the caliper half-to-half bolts while the calipers are still mounted to the forks; so much easier than trying to clamp the caliper in something off the bike. To remove the pistons, I used compressed air; drain as much fluid out of the caliper and put a tiny plastic disc (I cut one from a food lid) between the connecting port inside the calipers then put the caliper halves back together. Put a rag between the pistons and put goggles on; don't do this indoors.. My compressor has a rubber ended piece that I held against one of the caliper ports. Very carefully, open the air. The piston popped out immediately. Repeat on the other side. My bike had been off the road for 29 years but was put away very clean. My teflon coated pistons looked new. Your older ones may require a simple polish or replacement.

The rotor to fork leg tolerances are tight on my bike too. If the axle washer that goes between the speedo drive and fork leg is dished/distorted, it can result in the wheel shifting towards the fork on the speedo drive side. This is a common problem as the OEM washer is made of aluminum. It's easy to quickly check; just look at the centre line of the calipers; they should be centred with the middle of the discs and the gap between fork leg and disc should be the same on both sides. Another check with the front wheel off the bike, the length of the big spacer should be the the same as the speedo drive and washer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts