Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Another Newb question- I've gotta ask because I'm finding this bike is a conglomeration of different parts.

The rear axle is depicted in the manual as having a small nut, washer, then big (36mm, but very thin) nut on the drive side of the bike. My question, ( know this is probably dumb, but I dont want to destroy anything, so I'm making sure!) -- Does the axle pull straight out, or do I need to unthread it from the drive side first before pulling??? I can't tell if the "step up" in thread sizes is part of the axle. It doesn't appear to have any kind of separate threads in the diagram ( original parts book from 74).

I realize it's probably just seized up in there and I'm going to have to use a drift to get it out. BUT, I don't want to manhandle this if it's supposed to actually unscrew before sliding out. Any insight or secret-ninja axle removal tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Hi Carter,

As you can see, the axle has a tommy bar on the left side, so you unscrew the smaller nut on the end of the axle on the drive side and the axle should slide out, leaving the sprocket bolted to the swinging arm. Obviously, it is very prone to corrosion in there, so may be tough to get out after all these years. It may be possible to get a piece of bar underneath the small tommy bar and gently lever it out a small way. Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info,

I've been away for a few days, but I'm headed to my shop today to see if all the penetrating oil did its job. My caliper rebuild kits from Bevel Heaven came in yesterday, so hopefully I'll finish up the front wheel/brakes and get started on the rear today.

One job at a time!

Thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts