Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Anytime pal.........go easy. Most of this world dont understand what we been through.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
PUH ZOOKIES!!!

erm ... Suzukis .... but not Katanas. A bit of a mish-mash between real deal race bikes from the 70s/80s as well as a few modern replicas.

(below) Note the blue plastic Lectron carbs, hand bent exhaust headers, what look to be Koni rear shocks that may have been "laid down" a little bit.

(below) This one has been one of my favorites for quite a while. Cleanly built, really classy look to it, has ~fast~ written all over it. Love the shape of the fuel tank, and the black paint makes it look that much better. Classic forward extended front number plate, and of course the bolted on rear number plates. Fully floating rear brake caliper mount. Yum.

The four images below are all of Kevin Schwantz' GS1000 racebike. Another sick specimen ... well built, very sexeh .... monoshock rear suspension and full floating rear caliper mount .... just prior to the 16 inch front wheel era.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Only one this time. A late model Kawasaki Z900RS (2018 or 2019) ... homage to Pikes Peak bikes. Just a sweetheart of a motorcycle. I have a disease.

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Its amazing what Pops Y has accomplished............. If you didnt have a Yosh exhaust in the 80's you were shit. I had a GSXRR 750 with a Yoshi exhaust and reworked carbs set to his specs. Un fucking believeable. I kick myself for ever selling that bike. What a mistake.........

Kevin Schwantz is a hero of mine ........... NOBODY raced Rainey harder or better than him. I got to meet him at a bike show in Chicago. So cool, I couldnt beleive I was talking to a world champ. Guy was just so nice and down to earth. I love the guy for being so open to me. We talked about "The pass" made on Rainey and how the 500cc 2 strokes were such beasts. Luxky fella.

Thank you Rex.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I know ... I know ... this isn't really a bike from the "golden era" I'm covering in this thread ... but I stumbled on it when digging up more images of another rider to add to my collection. Holy SHIT Batman ... another excellent specimen of a modern replica of those wonderful bikes that were raced in the 70s/80s. I'd ride something like this ... no doubt about it. It's a Muzzy Kawasaki .... well, it may not have been actually built by Muzzy his own damn self, but it has some seriously cool Muzzy parts!

I present a 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R ... bloody magnificent. The forks, the handlingbars, the mini-fairing, the dual rear shocks, the swinginarm, the seat, the welded steel tube frame, the style, the color, the intake ... THE YUM !!!

Bon appatit ...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Eddie Lawson ..... the Kawasaki era (post #1 of 2):

This is the first of two ~Lawson~ chapters. This particular chapter will need two postings to cover the one dozen plus images in my collection, each posting having about a half dozen images.

The Yamaha FZ50 era chapter will come later, it will also require two separate postings to cover over a dozen images I have collected.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,073 Posts
Looking at all these really awesome old photos makes me think about how technology has advanced and helped the sport.

This is the greatest advancement in motorcycle racing tech I’ve seen come along in my lifetime.

God those old HUGE number plates were FUGLY! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Looking at all these really awesome old photos makes me think about how technology has advanced and helped the sport.

This is the greatest advancement in motorcycle racing tech I’ve seen come along in my lifetime.

God those old HUGE number plates were FUGLY! :)

The large number plates were far more about aero than they were about rider identification. The rear number plates were used to fill in the gaps back there that created buffeting (and therefor drag). The front one was clearly a "cheater fairing". When you look at the rear tailpiece of bikes in the later 1980s and early 1990s those areas were filled in with actual fairings ... in the earlier years since production bikes had no "full fairings" or large tail sections the number plates were used for that task.

·
18,073 Posts
I don’t think so. I’m not even sure the word aero existed back then. :)

They were required by the rules to be that large so a bunch of women sitting 50 yards away, with a sheet of paper and a pencil, could score you when you went by each lap.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Okey dokey. Then allow me to reword it ... the number plate size was taken advantage of to reduce drag. Placement of the rear ones, and forward angle as well as the forward distance from the headstock of the front one were thought to (at that time) optimize the airflow around the bike and rider as best as possible while remaining within the rules.

If fluid dynamics were "not even understood" back then, why had full fairings and things such as "dustbins" been utilized .... even as far back as the 1950s ... or more?

Note how far forward the front plate is on this bike .... no other reason other than to have some positive response based the theories of fluid dynamics. The plate could have been just as easily been fork mounted rather than frame mounted as well.

·
18,073 Posts
The practical application of fluid dynamics as it pertains to the 12”x10” number plates used during this period of American Superbike racing boggles the mind. Lol! :)

You’re going to have to trust me on this, the color of the plate background made much more difference than the placement. The white ones were a shit load faster than the black ones. :)

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Steady Eddie............went on to win four MotoGP championships with Yamaha and Honda..............another favorite of mine. Guy was alright. Met once at a show. Way cool, down to earth.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Wes Cooley's 1979 Suzuki GS1000 built by Pops Yoshimura ... (post #1 of 2):

Last set of posts for today. This is a digitized copy of a technical article centered around this bike, with a sidebar about Pops and his own story of how he went from working on G.I.'s bikes in Japan to becoming a race bike builder of very high demand. Pops invented the 4-into-1 high performance exhaust system, and he drew from the Motocross world when it came to designing and fabricating rear suspension systems on road racing bikes. He used simple yet highly effective welding methods to build his race bikes, such as O2-C2H2 (oxy-acetylene) brazing on frame members, and SMAW (arc "stick" welding) on fork stanchions to lengthen the tubes to increase the front ground clearance (along with dirt bike styled rear suspension techniques which raised the rear ... the combined efforts raised the entire bike). Pops also hand bent the exhaust system tubes, the manual process produced very graceful, long curves rather than using shorter 90 degree sections welded together which placed more restriction on the flow of exhaust gases. The longer curves of hand bend exhaust systems were of greater benefit especially at higher RPM where the airspeed of gases increased dramatically.

A lot of the text is small, so you may do well to expand the images to better see the small lettering. This is a very interesting article, filled with detailed information regarding all of the tricks Pops used to build Cooley's Suzuki. An excellent read, no doubt about it! Split up into two posts since there are 16 pages.

41 - 60 of 70 Posts