Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Seeing those old '70s Kaws reminded me of Dan Chivington telling me and a buddy about how they "braced" the stock swingarms before they were allowed to. Seems that they would take the swingarm and saw it in half, vertically, as far as they could...and weld a strip of bar steel in between the 2 halves as they got welded back together. After grinding the welds down smooth and painting, it looked like a stock swingarm, but was stronger. No deflection...

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Seeing those old '70s Kaws reminded me of Dan Chivington telling me and a buddy about how they "braced" the stock swingarms before they were allowed to. Seems that they would take the swingarm and saw it in half, vertically, as far as they could...and weld a strip of bar steel in between the 2 halves as they got welded back together. After grinding the welds down smooth and painting, it looked like a stock swingarm, but was stronger. No deflection...
Another trick that some racers used was to make "cheater frames". The stock mild steel frames would be copied as absolutely closely as possible but built with CrMo tubing. The attention to detail was so focused that even the crappy mass-produced production line welds were even copied. This wasn't done to make the bikes lighter ... but rather stronger/stiffer.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Some modern replica bikes. The pictures are fairly self explanatory so adding narration to each image won't be required. I'll sprinkle pictures of these replica bikes in various posts throughout this thread .... there are many. I'll start with these seven CB750 replicas for now. The Honda CB series of the early 1980s is a favorite among the AMA Production Superbikes of that era. The sharper eyed among us will notice that Suzuki engines were used in some of them.

More of these another time.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
Yep, there were many ways to make a production racer “stock”. Nobody would protest because they were all doing it and at the time officials didn’t give a fuck and there were no mandatory checks.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
My dick hurts from cranking it to much😄. The CB Bolders😁 were and still are my all time favourites. I only had 4 of them.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A couple more modern replicas ... this one started life as a 1982 Honda CB750. It's now got an all new CrMo frame and is powered by a Suzuki 1157 oil burner. One of my more favorite resto-mods among the tribe. Damned thing is street legal! Juuuuussst barely.

Here's another modern replica beasty ... this time we've a Kawasaki based machine on an all aluminum Spondon frame and swingarm. Barbaric sumbitch!

Ok, that's ten pictures. I love the front number plate with the oil cooler mounted below it setup that many of these bikes have, whether they be real deal production racebikes or modern replicas. Part of the overall style that is unique to these machines. There's a lot more to love about these bikes, that's for true!

:giggle:

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Nicely done sir.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
Thanks man. I've got so many more images ... I'm trying to trickle them out, but it's hard! I keep having to tell myself to take it slowly.

:p ... :cool:
Its tough, I know. So much to say or spill. Relax and take your time bruddah.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts