Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pictures of my horizontal manifold pipe. I know many have had trouble with theirs splitting at the welds. Mine did to, but then later blew out in a new place. I have sent the pipe to the guy in Tennessee that repairs forged wheels. Frame Straight is the company. He is a miracle worker with metal. All of the pipes cost 870.00 we will see if I save any money. The sheet of metal is expensive, and I understand it will either be tented or gas filled. Has anyone else ever had one repaired? Do you have one lying around, I'll buy it.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added metal and blew again in 1000 miles. Losing money fast on this one. Can this pipe be purchased even used?

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
Get a fabricator to make a piece to fit. IT IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE TO CLEAN ALL THE CARBON INSIDE the exhaust where the weld will be. The guy who is welding it should be a competent trained welder and not a hack at a muffler shop. Tent isn’t necessarily. Plug both ends with bungs (even tape will do in a pinch) and feed a tube in one end and purge with argon while welding.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Get a fabricator to make a piece to fit. IT IS OF THE UTMOST IMPORTANCE TO CLEAN ALL THE CARBON INSIDE the exhaust where the weld will be. The guy who is welding it should be a competent trained welder and not a hack at a muffler shop. Tent isn’t necessarily. Plug both ends with bungs (even tape will do in a pinch) and feed a tube in one end and purge with argon while welding.
This is the second patch. The new failure does follow a seam. But the crack out in the field is so irregular. I think the newer version of this pipe is round without seams.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
This is the second patch. The new failure does follow a seam. But the crack out in the field is so irregular. I think the newer version of this pipe is round without seams.
View attachment 990703 View attachment 990704 View attachment 990705
This happens quite often after a repair and I have no idea why. I always tell customers this may happen and I can only guarantee what I’ve repaired and not the cracks or blowouts that happen around the repair. It’s infuriating. I can only guess that the damage has occurred over a wider area. The weakest part let’s go and after the repair, which is strong, the rest starts to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You have described it clearly. From what I can see online the new pipe has no welds, just bends. I tried a little experiment with titanium mesh and fiberglass wrap. Held for two hours and oddly did not burn through. I watched it running and the pipe swells and retracts. In the hole obviously movement was greatest. Then after 1 WFO run it opened a crack down the side. I think Termi failed to understand how much movement a flat spot gets at 700 degrees. I am forced to order the pipe kit. Ebay 870.00 +60 Shipping unless someone has a used set.

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
You have described it clearly. From what I can see online the new pipe has no welds, just bends. I tried a little experiment with titanium mesh and fiberglass wrap. Held for two hours and oddly did not burn through. I watched it running and the pipe swells and retracts. In the hole obviously movement was greatest. Then after 1 WFO run it opened a crack down the side. I think Termi failed to understand how much movement a flat spot gets at 700 degrees. I am forced to order the pipe kit. Ebay 870.00 +60 Shipping unless someone has a used set.
Sort of caught between a rock and a hard place. Somebody could fab the whole section but at what cost. Cheaper to fab using round pipe but then there’s the fairing fit issue. It’s close to a case of having to just bite the bullet and get a new one.
I would try to console you but damn-it. Your choice to buy a Ducati.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just playing 96c. I don’t really mean that. 😃
Of course you do. You've been down the rabbit hole. At least we are not talking ignition or starter. You will not believe this. I contacted the Canadian importer EURO CORSA .COM. A very nice man Marco is contacting Italy. Yes in August the whole of Italy shuts down, but he thinks there may be a way to help me get the part I need.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also learned about the welded header verses the newer hydroformed bent tube. Found a complete system in Charleston, Forwarded my phones and drove like hell. So this welding thing is resolved. If you have the welded version. Just buy a pipe kit from MOTOWHEELS and move on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts