Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is one of these for sale locally. Might be fun...:cool:... anybody have any general info on the bike or pitfalls associated with a 38 year old?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Very often you will find significant damage to the engine due to insufficient oil flow, mostly from poor maintenance and lugging the engine. The singles loved higher rpms and frequent oil changes. That said, most engine parts and many other bits are available and from a variety of sources. Restorations are costly though and as a friend of mine likes to say, if you don't spend three times what its worth, you're not doing it right. Another consideration is the engines on the early Ducatis were assembled and shimmed by hand to obtain the close tolerances necessary. This makes rebuilding any of the bevel Ducatis labor intensive and therefore expensive if you can't do it yourself. I've got four singles right now and they are great fun but remember they take more effort to maintain than a modern bike.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Check and see if it's a "desmo" model, much more valuable. A complete 450 scrambler running might fetch $2K to $3K, a desmo head all by itself is worth $2.5K.

Either way very fun bikes to work on and tinker with. Not so much fun riding them as the 450 is a real shaker. If it has the motoplat ignition stay away, that stuff was crap. If you are lucky enough to get a spark out of it, it won't be very strong, barely enough to start the bike.

As said before the engines are fragile if not looked after, and generally the scramblers were back road farm bikes in there day and usually not cared for. The roller bearing big ends require allot of oil pressure, unfortunately plodding around on the farm doesn't create the pressure needed. These engines are 'race' engines designed for high RPM running and frequent oil changes.

·
Registered
188 Posts
There are no Desmo scramblers, unless has been modified.

Go for it, they are a fun bike, and easy to look after if you stay ontop of it.

250 and 450 are yellow, 350 are orange. This will also help in determining how original it is.

MF

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
There are no Desmo scramblers, unless has been modified.
MF
I don't remember what year it came out, but I'm positive I've seen a 450 desmo in scrambler form. I almost bought one for the engine until I noticed it had a weird compression release in the head!

·
Registered
188 Posts
The weird compression release would have been an RT450. (kinda look like a scrambler)

RTs and TS were the only singles with the decopressor on the right side under the top bevel cover. Pic attached :)

MF

Attachments

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Yah that's the puppy. I thought it was a scrambler, RT was more of a dirt bike if I recall.

·
Registered
1 Posts
450 desmo R/T or T/S

Just wondering if there is anyone on this list with a 450 desmo R/T or T/S.
I have just pulled my one out of 15 years storage and am about to do some work to get it back on the road. I am going to need an exhaust and sidecovers and would like to hear thoughts on where I could find these.
If anyone knows how the the alternator and regulator work on these bikes I would also like to hear. (I have electronics knowledge) The manual just shows 3 wires comming from an alternator block without describing the wiring of the coils. I am trying to figure how this works (without stripping it down) and whether it is connected to the 'Logitron' regulator correctly.

Cheers from Dave

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi Dave
i have a couple of RTs . if you are looking for the high level headerpipe
for a RT Overlander Motorcycle Equipment in Australia makes a stainless steel copy . i bought a 1 into 2 muffler from this guy

http://www.brezzirandellini.com/ingrandimento.php?ID_Dettagli_C=40

my brother has molds to make the sidecovers in fiberglass in either white or yellow gelcoat

a RT has flywheel magneto ignition with 2 wires coming from the engine
and a different profile cam to open de points to saturate the coil
part nr AA 367 B

the 3 wire alternator has 2 yellow wires and 1 red wire . you can see the whole thing as 1 coil ( 2 yellow ) with 1 tap in the middle (red )
there is 12 volt over the yellows and 6 volt between yellow and red
Ducati used twice 1 yellow and red and rectified that with 2 diodes
so they used only half of the waveform
i converted my bike to 12 volts . used a Boyer Bransden powerbox and
ditched the battery

Regards Eldert

·
Registered
195 Posts
Wait a minute...

Hi guys.

Just hauled home my new 450 scrambler (fifteen minutes ago). Don't know anything about it yet (including whether it is a Mototrans or real Duc, but will soon. I did note, however that there appears to be a compression release valve on the left handlebar- contrary to the post above that says only on RTs etc.

So its got nice Akront rims that say "Spain" on them, the aforesaid compression release, a wonky looking choke mechanism, a Dellorto 29 carb, the big round air filter on the right, a braced (dirt bike style) tall handlebar, and the bullet shaped Aprillia headlight with the swtich on it. Oh, points- not electronic, CEV guages, a centre (er) stand as well as a side stand, and the gussetted frame as seen on the later 450 Mk III.

Anyone tell me anything?

Cheers-

SMS

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Hi guys.

Just hauled home my new 450 scrambler (fifteen minutes ago). Don't know anything about it yet (including whether it is a Mototrans or real Duc, but will soon. I did note, however that there appears to be a compression release valve on the left handlebar- contrary to the post above that says only on RTs etc.

So its got nice Akront rims that say "Spain" on them, the aforesaid compression release, a wonky looking choke mechanism, a Dellorto 29 carb, the big round air filter on the right, a braced (dirt bike style) tall handlebar, and the bullet shaped Aprillia headlight with the swtich on it. Oh, points- not electronic, CEV guages, a centre (er) stand as well as a side stand, and the gussetted frame as seen on the later 450 Mk III.

Anyone tell me anything?

Cheers-

SMS
Love to see a picture of the frame.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi guys.

I did note, however that there appears to be a compression release valve on the left handlebar- contrary to the post above that says only on RTs etc.

SMS
No one actually said Scramblers did not have a decompressor, what the discussion was about, was how the cylinder was decompressed. Either the Desmo way of the relief valve on the combustion chamber, or by the valve spring way of opening the exhaust valve. There is only one exception to this and it is the TS450 which is a valve spring engine, but with a Desmo style decompressor....

PS Mototrans Dukes are still real Dukes ;)

MF

·
Registered
239 Posts
this is a Italian scrambler ( Mototrans did not make 450s ) from the first serie
frontwheel looks a litttle small is it a 18 or 19 inch ?

Eldert

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks...and;

cheers- and thanks for the info;

Now, the rear shocks have been replaced with cheapos. They basically have no dampening at all. What looks like the original alloy bodied shocks and springs were included in a box. It seems like they were abandoned simply because of ugliness (need de-rusting etc). I find that when the shock bodies (which are dis-assemblable) are compressed there is no resistance, but when pulled apart there is resistance- and the resistance seems equal in both units. Is it possible that the damping is handled by the spring and the rebound by the shock unit? are these rebuildable? Do mine sound like they are functioning properly? Is this how they should work?

Thanks
Sheldon

·
Registered
348 Posts
Looks Great!

And to clear some things up, yes I agree, what You have is a genuine Italian Ducati.

And be very proud of that, if the Moto-trans were worth anything, they'd:
(1) fetch a decent price, which they still don't

(2) be seen vintage racing, which they aren't (without completely pitching all the Spanish stuff)

(3) Be made where real DUCATI have been and ALWAYS will be, Bologna ITALY

Just ask any Volkswagen fan what they think of the bullshit imitation Brazilian copy Beetles......

Or any Hardcore Old-school Mini-Cooper fan what they think of the new crap (made in Germany)

Hold your Head up high and know that you now own something that No one that has only ever owned Moto-Trans copies has ever owned........

a REAL Duck single-

GREAT find by the way- I bought a 1974 450SCR brand new in the crate in 2000 and sold it in 2003, I will never forgive myself.......

Here's me on my 1970 350SCR (made in ITALY, Thanx)

Keep the pics of progress coming!

Also 450RT weren't the only Ducks to come with the Comp release on the side of the head with a funny looking Oil return line- almost all the Moto-trans 350 had them.....

Still got 4 old Ducks tho-

·
Registered
3 Posts
450 Desmo

I recently invested in a 1971? 450 SCR with desmo head and it has been stated in this thread that the Scrambler did not come with a desmo head. Yet the Ducati website states that a few Scrambler bikes did come with desmo heads,

"The Scrambler series included a few bikes with Desmo cylinder heads and was subjected to continual technical adjustment right up until 1974, when production was halted."

Ducati SCRAMBLER

Another reference with images,

1973 Ducati 450 Desmo Scrambler

Anyone else know anything further?

·
Registered
382 Posts
Anyone else know anything further?
A little, Peter. According to Motociclismo's restoration and maintenance guide for the Scrambler:

"Va ricordato che dal 1971 era possibile, su richiesta, ordinare una Scrambler con la distribuzione desmodromica"
= It should be noted that from 1971 it was possible, upon request, to order a Scrambler with desmodromic timing.

Can't immediately see why anyone would have wanted to ... :). But there you go ...

Ciao

Craig (450 SCR owner ... with conventional timing)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts