Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shaved 7 pounds (6.8 actual), off my Hyper by replacing the battery. Anyway this is a new battery technology called Lifepo4, non-lead based, they use it in other stuff and this guy on the KTM site and Thumpertalk site started making them a couple years ago for the dirt bikes with electric starts and everybody is raving about them. Anyway I bought it for the SM bike, but asked the guy about putting it in the Hyper. He said it should turn it over that he used them in Jap inline 4s 1000s and the charging it typical on all bikes. I did a bunch of research on this technology, all seems great. And that is crazy wieght savings in one shot. Battery was $160 which is expensive but about 60 bucks more than a regular one. Feel like a toy compared to the Hyper battery.

Anyway here are some pics...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
big woop ... i can lose 12 lbs. just by dropping a steamer before i get on the hypertard :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Keep us posted on the durabliity and longevity. I like the idea behind this battery.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
why stop at 12 lbs of shit johhny when you have another 10 lbs taking up the place of a brain.... :D
if i lose the shit up there ... that's another 24.75 lbs.

but if you lose all yours ... what are we talking about ... 185-195 lbs? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

but if you lose all yours ... what are we talking about ... 185-195 lbs? :rolleyes:
All I can tell from your incoherent post is that you agree you have shit for brains...like 24.75 pounds of it...and that you like turd sandwiches...

Try to stay on topic... lightwieght batteries for people who actually ride their bikes.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
That's a nice weight savings and I like the casing used on this battery. I've been running a Speed Cell battery which appears to use similar battery cells. I use a quick disconnect setup to easily swap the battery for use on my other bikes. My battery is mounted in the stock location using heavy duty Velcro.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's a nice weight savings and I like the casing used on this battery. I've been running a Speed Cell battery which appears to use similar battery cells. I use a quick disconnect setup to easily swap the battery for use on my other bikes. My battery is mounted in the stock location using heavy duty Velcro.
what is this quick disconnect you are talking about... I would love to have that!!! I could just switch it between the bikes since I never ride them at the same time... awesome

Yes I believe that this is similar to the speed cell
http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnTech%20Battery/Welcome.html

This guy JoeT is a little more upfront about the technology, its basic...anyone with a bit of time and know how can make one... I was going to but wanted to support the guy for doing it. You can buy the battery cells on line and make the same set up if you know about wiring batteries together... I think for about 70 bucks in material then just shrink wrap it and stick it in... they will charge on a normal motorcycle system as a lead battery.

Here is the post that got me started on this battery. The battery starts the Hyper fine. When you first read the post he isn't selling them with the case...and they were cheaper now he does the case and it clean. Shipping and response was great. I hope he does well with this. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=743306

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Peter, how much does your Speedcell weigh? is it 5.0Ah like Scotts? smiler price? Thanks Alex

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
All I can tell from your incoherent post is that you agree you have shit for brains...like 24.75 pounds of it...and that you like turd sandwiches...

Try to stay on topic... lightwieght batteries for people who actually ride their bikes.

Ouch! :rolleyes: can't you girls just take an enema, and be done with it? :D LOL Alex

·
Registered
426 Posts
I just shaved 7 pounds (6.8 actual), off my Hyper by replacing the battery. Anyway this is a new battery technology called Lifepo4, non-lead based, they use it in other stuff and this guy on the KTM site and Thumpertalk site started making them a couple years ago for the dirt bikes with electric starts and everybody is raving about them. Anyway I bought it for the SM bike, but asked the guy about putting it in the Hyper. He said it should turn it over that he used them in Jap inline 4s 1000s and the charging it typical on all bikes. I did a bunch of research on this technology, all seems great. And that is crazy wieght savings in one shot. Battery was $160 which is expensive but about 60 bucks more than a regular one. Feel like a toy compared to the Hyper battery.
Could you please post up the suppliers details?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

you so funny ... but you can't spell for shite. and the turd sandwich was you, asshat.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Could you please post up the suppliers details?
Supplier/maker of the battery... you can actually make them yourself if you know about wiring battery cells together. Its the Lifepo4 3.2 cells I think he uses. The Battery starts the Hyper fine. I will report longer term as I use the battery.

http://www.turntechbattery.com/TurnT...y/Welcome.html

FAQ
1. Are they Lithium batteries?
Yes, but they are a completely different chemistry than the batteries that power laptops, cell phones, and Ipods. The chemistry is called Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP).
2. How do I connect the battery?
Basically plug and play. TurnTech provides bolt/nuts so all that has to be done is connecting the positive battery terminal to the positive wire and like wise on the negative side. Just like a normal battery. HOWEVER, you will MAY need to find a way to keep it tight in the battery box as it is much smaller than the standard battery.
3. Will the battery charge?
They will charge just like a normal lead acid battery, you don't need to do anything special. However, if your system requires more power than the bike is producing it will eventually drain the battery. If you need more power from the system the battery will not increase the power the bike is putting out.
You can use a normal lead acid charger to charge the battery as long as the charger put out less amps than the capacity rating of the battery.
4. Is there a warranty?
Yes, there is a six month limited warrantee on the battery.
5. How much do they weigh?

Battery Weight
2.5Ah .8 lbs
5.0Ah 1.6 lbs

6. How big are they?
Battery Length Width Height
2.5Ah 4.625" 2.0" 3.5"
5.0Ah 4.625" 2.75" 3.5"

7. How long will the battery last?
The length of time depends on how you use it. The graph below shows the number of 18 second starting pulse the battery can do (this data is for the 5Ah battery). The yellow line is the actual capacity used during the starting pulse, notice that the X axis is in THOUSANDS.

8. How long can they be stored?
The graph below shows the voltage drop over time as the battery is stored at different temperatures. The batteries were kept at temperature 24/7 for the duration of the testing

9. How do they behave if I leave them on a trickle charger?
The graph below shows the capacity of the battery, tested once a month.

10. How is the low/high temperature performance?
The batteries don’t provide as much power initially as a lead acid battery at low temperatures. HOWEVER, the battery will self heat during the pulse, as the battery warms it provides more amps. The battery will get stronger rather than weaker as more starting attempts are made.
At high temperatures as seen above the life of the battery is reduced. At approximately 170°C (338°F) the battery will shut down and not provide any power.

11. How do I decide which battery?
I have recommendations for the type of bike with each battery. However each bike and situation is different. Below are some questions to answer if you are on the fence between two batteries.
Does the bike have a kick starter?
Do I have a normal clutch?
Is weight important?
Am I OK with the occasional kick start?
Is your bike an easy to start?
If the answers are mostly yes then the smaller will be ok. If mostly no then the larger will be a better choice.

THE SMALLEST battery the 250 and 300cc two strokes can use is the 5Ah.

12. Is there liquid electrolyte that can leak?
There is a small amount of liquid electrolyte in each of the cells that make up the battery. The battery is completely enclosed only leaks in extreme circumstances. Even if the cells are punctured most of the electrolyte is adsorbed by the films inside the battery and won’t leak out. The electrolyte is an organic solvent not much different than acetone (finger nail polish).

13. What is the voltage of a fully charged battery?
The battery should read under 15V and above 13.5V when fully charged (in most cased it will read 13.6-14.4V). The range is due to how it was charged and how long it has been since it was off the charger. The maximum voltage the battery should be exposed to is 16.5V.

14. Can you make a special battery different at a different voltage or amperage?
Yes. Contact Joe with your needs, 7.5Ah and 10Ah batteries take 2 weeks, custom batteries can take up to 1 month to complete.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
Peter, how much does your Speedcell weigh? is it 5.0Ah like Scotts? smiler price? Thanks Alex
The speedcell is 1.7lbs, 240 amps and 4.6ah. It cost $250. So $150 for this other battery seems like a really good deal if it holds up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
only a 6mth warranty? is that normal for these types of products?
I really wouldn't know. but I think anything electric doesn't get much warranty...I am not trying to sell anybody on it until I've fully tested it long term. But at this time the Hyper fires right up and the charging it typical of all bikes so there should not be a problem.

I actually never intended this for the Ducati. I was only thinking for my WR450 dirt bike, which the battery never turned over the bike cold, even when warm would only crank for 3 tries then die out. I kept hearing these were great for ease of starting and the ability to keep cranking over the motor better than lead/acid ones that come with modern 450s... so I bought it...but then asked the guy about turning over a 1100 twin and he said the 5.0ah could turn over inline 1000s...but he hadn't tried it on a Twin which may be harder... he said give it a shot it won't hurt your battery at all... So low and behold it fires up the Hyper easy... I don't know if it cranking it over faster or slower because my bike always starts within a second or two. I'm just blown away by the 7lbs loss... I picked up the Ducati battery last night and moved it side to side... its a ton of wieght. I did the same to the Turntech and it like nothing. I actually think I'll feel it when I ride the tight twisty next time out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I actually think I'll feel it when I ride the tight twisty next time out.
Glad I won't be making a pitiful attempt to keep up with you! :)

You will have to put the heavy battery in for our next ride, and perhaps a few in a backpack... ;)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts