Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I´m planning to install some wider handlebars on my 2001 750SS, because it´s not very comfortable to ride long distances with just clipons. What are my options? I read that the best way to go would be to install a Monster triple tree for the handlebar mounts. Do the Monsters have the same offset so I could only change the top clamp? And I guess I´d also need longer brake lines and probably a longer speedo cable thingy?

I´d like something like that:

·
Registered
620 Posts
I dont know for sure but I doubt anything dealing with the speedo needs changing, the things that may need addressed would be --brake line's, clutch line & maybe the L & R combo switch wires may need to be longer & I dont know if the 2001 has a choke / fast idle cable but that may need to longer as well

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Monsters are not the same offset so you would need a complete set not just the top. I have gone the other way and put SS trees on my monster so yes they fit. The question will be hill the bars be too close to the tank or hit your fairing if you plan to run one. I think you will be able to adjust the steering lock so the tank is safe but you will likely need to trim your upper fairing. Again I have not tried this myself but I have put a LSL kit on a 996 and the fairing was in the way.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I suggest trying some taller risers with separate clip on bars that are longer. I did this with a clip on set from Cycle Cat, but they are out of business..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I suggest trying some taller risers with separate clip on bars that are longer. I did this with a clip on set from Cycle Cat, but they are out of business..
True. But I'm reasonably sure that there are other available similar products from either Spiegler LSL or Woodcraft. Maybe a couple of others too. I seem to remember seeing a riser kit from Woodcraft for sale that was 30mm taller than stock as well as an adjustable version from someone....Variobar maybe....sean

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Woodcraft does have clip ons with changeable riser plates, probably no higher than stock.

Helibars did make taller clip ons for the SS and they are still in business

I may have a set of cycle cats I would sell but I do not think they would be higher probably lower than stock.

Remember stock have a bit of rise due to being below the top tree, another option would be to swap forks with a later injected SS and move the clip ons to above the tree. This would require a new set of calipers, speedo drive and you would need to either modify the forks with spacers to run a solid axle in the forks, modify your front wheel for a 25mm axle or buy a later style front wheel. I have a solid axle setup I use for my race rain tire/wheel and run a 25mm axle setup for dry so after you adapt things it is a easy swap. Speedo drive would probably be the toughest question.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dont know for sure but I doubt anything dealing with the speedo needs changing, the things that may need addressed would be --brake line's, clutch line & maybe the L & R combo switch wires may need to be longer & I dont know if the 2001 has a choke / fast idle cable but that may need to longer as well
My bad, the speedo cable is fine yes. I think the switch wires will be okay, they´re pretty long iirc.

Monsters are not the same offset so you would need a complete set not just the top. I have gone the other way and put SS trees on my monster so yes they fit. The question will be hill the bars be too close to the tank or hit your fairing if you plan to run one. I think you will be able to adjust the steering lock so the tank is safe but you will likely need to trim your upper fairing. Again I have not tried this myself but I have put a LSL kit on a 996 and the fairing was in the way.
Okay, thanks. I don´t think they woud hit the tank because 1) they sit a bit higher than original clip-ons 2) the handlebar is not really angled towards the tank like my clipons are.

I did try using some riser clipons but they weren´t very good imho, so I´m set on using a wider bar.

I´ll probably make and easily swappable mod so for longer rides I can throw the wider bar on and not worry about my back getting sick while riding.

What I´m thinking is I will get something like in the picture, attatch them onto the original triple tree via drilling 2 holes through it. Then it´s just getting longer brake/clutch hoses and throttle/choke cables made.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The upper fairing will definitely need extensive mods, you can't raise the stock bars more than an inch or so before the switch gear hits. See in the picture you posted above, the red parts next to the wind screen are cut off

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I´m okay with cutting the upper fairing. I´d need to get it painted/wrapped eitherway. I also have a spare upper triple.

What company makes quality handlebars? I´m looking something in 50-100$ range.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just buy a Monster and call it a day lol

·
Registered
620 Posts
I'm sure there are many here that would trade you Monster for a Super Sport

·
Registered
620 Posts
I just hate to see a good basically original bike get cut up lol