Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my homework on converting the 1996 900SS/CR from clip ons to 7/8" handlebars. I'm not certain I'll actually need to do that, but researching options in the event my neck injury calls for a more upright riding position. I'm aware that the fairing would not fit bars that are much higher up than the stock rig.

I've been sniffin' around in an attempt to locate whatever parts/pieces are available but have had very little success. There's some aftermarket stuff out there, but I've not located anything that is specifically for my model/year. I know the stock upper triple has a 51mm hole for the fork legs (I actually measured that) so the hope is that there is a triple within the Ducati line-up that would permit 7/8" handlebars.

One dimension that I don't know is what the offset is of the stock triples, and since whatever upper triple would be used must have the same offset as the stock triples have, that's important.

So maybe there's some Monster upper triple with the same offset as my model and 51mm fork clamps .... er sumthin' ????

Way out on the far end of this is the notion of using (perhaps) and entire front end from (let's say) a Yamaha R6 .. the vintage that uses telescopic forks rather than USD forks. I say that because I happen to have two sets of telescopic R6 front ends complete with triples, brakes, fenders, and wheels. There may be adaptive steering head bearing kits that would help move that notion along, but the steering stem may need machining to the correct length.

Please know I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas on this.

:)

·
Premium Member
644 Posts
I'm doing my homework on converting the 1996 900SS/CR from clip ons to 7/8" handlebars. I'm not certain I'll actually need to do that, but researching options in the event my neck injury calls for a more upright riding position. I'm aware that the fairing would not fit bars that are much higher up than the stock rig.

I've been sniffin' around in an attempt to locate whatever parts/pieces are available but have had very little success. There's some aftermarket stuff out there, but I've not located anything that is specifically for my model/year. I know the stock upper triple has a 51mm hole for the fork legs (I actually measured that) so the hope is that there is a triple within the Ducati line-up that would permit 7/8" handlebars.

One dimension that I don't know is what the offset is of the stock triples, and since whatever upper triple would be used must have the same offset as the stock triples have, that's important.

So maybe there's some Monster upper triple with the same offset as my model and 51mm fork clamps .... er sumthin' ????

Way out on the far end of this is the notion of using (perhaps) and entire front end from (let's say) a Yamaha R6 .. the vintage that uses telescopic forks rather than USD forks. I say that because I happen to have two sets of telescopic R6 front ends complete with triples, brakes, fenders, and wheels. There may be adaptive steering head bearing kits that would help move that notion along, but the steering stem may need machining to the correct length.

Please know I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks here.

Thanks for any help and/or ideas on this.

The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200.

After that, I believe there's a company in Germany that makes a replacement upper yoke for the OEM SS triple that accomodates a 7/8" bar. You likely already found this. Around $600 IIRC, and it's the OEM offset, you simply take off your old top yoke and put this on instead.

If you have a complete front end sitting around doing nothing, Classified Moto will do the work for you - you send them both triples and tell them what you want the final assembly to be. They take all the critical measurements and do the work with what you send them. Last I looked it was around $600. Doesn't necessarily make sense for your R6 forks, but it did when I was considering an SPS Ohlins fork with magnesium triple from a 996.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200.

After that, I believe there's a company in Germany that makes a replacement upper yolk for the OEM SS triple that accomodates a 7/8" bar. You likely already found this. Around $600 IIRC, and it's the OEM offset, you simply take off your old top yolk and put this on instead.

If you have a complete front end sitting around doing nothing, Classified Moto will do the work for you - you send them both triples and tell them what you want the final assembly to be. They take all the critical measurements and do the work with what you send them. Last I looked it was around $600. Doesn't necessarily make sense for your R6 forks, but it did when I was considering an SPS Ohlins fork with magnesium triple from a 996.
Supah Killah Infos ... thanks TOOOOONNNS.

Those R6 forks are the same set that most every flat track bike uses these days. Race Tech has a full-on Gold thing, springs, etc. for those sticks. The brakes are plenty good enough and the front wheel weighs like nothing. About five years ago I began buying bit/pieces of Ducati stuff to begin building a bike. Frames with clear titles, seats, fuel tanks, rear suspension pieces, and a junked engine (chunks missing from one of the engine mounts) that I used for mockups. The idea back then was to use one of the R6 front ends.

Health issues got in the way (no thanks to the friggin Veteran's Admin) and that project was left unattended to. So that's why I have a couple of R6 fronts here. If I recall, All Balls used to carry the needed conversion bearing set for the Ducati headstock. I may be wrong on that ... much has happened in the previous five years so my recollection may be out of tune, needing a rebuild.

Thanks so much for the Monster cross-over data. I may snag me a set in the next couple of months.

So are there other ways of getting there?

~scratching head .... thinking ... thinking ... don't mind the smell of smoke, it's just my brain over-clocking~

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The easiest option is to find a set of triples from a Monster of the same vintage. The SS and Monster used the same forks (50/54 mm clamping diameters), with the same brakes and same wheels. The SS has a 25mm offset, the Monster a 22mm offset I believe, so the handling would be slightly different/slower. That said, they will fit right in with no changes needed to your forks, no need for shims in the triple, and no need to change or modify the frame or stem - they literally drop in, but with a slightly different offset. You can likely get these on ebay for less than $200....
Woops ... what about the steering stops? Will there be any trouble/issues there? I certainly wouldn't want the fork sticks banging into my nearly perfect 900SS fuel tank when they are steered to the stops! One of the things (one of many) that were allowing me to turn loose of $4K for this bike is the excellent condition of the body panels and the fuel tank ... no dents, no Bondo, not a scratch, zee-row rust inside of the tank.

I've got MIG - TIG - Oxy+Acetylene welding equipment at my disposal, but I'd rather not have to deal with welding up extended or modified steering stops if I don't have to. If I would need to go that far, I'd also do-up the steering head bracing to get ahead of any cracking/failures that may show up later. Attached pic is of an especially nice job.

Sooo ..... what of steering stops ... and what of steering stops?

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
I would mock up something with wood / broom handle and stick it onto your current triple clamp to see what would fit. There is not much clearance around the windscreen or tank. The lower triple clamp does have some set screws to set the wheel lock position to avoid hitting stuff, but there isn't much adjustment available and the SS already has precious little lock for low speed maneuverability.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would mock up something with wood / broom handle and stick it onto your current triple clamp to see what would fit. There is not much clearance around the windscreen or tank. The lower triple clamp does have some set screws to set the wheel lock position to avoid hitting stuff, but there isn't much adjustment available and the SS already has precious little lock for low speed maneuverability.
Damned good notion. I already bought in to the possibility (more like probability) that the stock fairing won't work with bars atop the triple. But that's ok, there's alternatives. I've been told that the stock fairing really doesn't offer any real wind blocking for the rider anyhow (unless in a full tuck).

I'd like to look into the possibility of doing something like the attached pics. Imagine replacing the oil cooler in the pics with an LED lightbar (as a headlamp).

But again, this handlebar thing will only be needed if my neck just cannot deal with the low slung clip-ons. I've a permanent inoperable injury to the Brachial Plexus on the right side of my neck. Thank all that is good I can still play bass and guitar (and keys)!

:smile2:

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Call Nick 407-347-3498 he's here in Florida has a ton of used Ducati parts I have gotten a few things from him and he treated me good -at least I think so. He's a nice guy and he may have a set of Monster triple clamps that will work for you and do exactly what you want, probably at a good price.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
Early monster trees have the same adjustable steering stops as the SS and would be the easiest to convert, I use SS trees on my monster track bikes. Yes you will have more work to do to make it all work which brings me to the question... if you are turning your SS into a monster why not just trade into a monster? Same engine but better rear suspension design and a superbike looking chassis. You can run superbike bars or monster city tall bars depending in your fit.

I own both and think the SS is slightly better looking due to the classic fairing design but if you are removing the fairings you are doing to have a naked SS which while good is no longer as good looking as the classic monster and has few benefits overa monster at that point.

A customer just sold the bike you are building in that he had a shop Cafe out a 900CR with no fairings, tube bars and a monster round headlight . The customer bought it as his first Ducati but decided he wanted a less molested version so sold it.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I've got MIG - TIG - Oxy+Acetylene welding equipment at my disposal, but I'd rather not have to deal with welding up extended or modified steering stops if I don't have to. If I would need to go that far, I'd also do-up the steering head bracing to get ahead of any cracking/failures that may show up later. Attached pic is of an especially nice job.
If you were going to go through all that trouble, why not just get one of these:

The Monster set up is probably the least problematic for what you are describing. A whole litany of different bars are available...particularly if you swap the risers to ones that will hold any of the Pro-Taper style bars available all over the web...that or you could go the Spiegler superbike bar route.....sean

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you were going to go through all that trouble, why not just get one of these:

The Monster set up is probably the least problematic for what you are describing. A whole litany of different bars are available...particularly if you swap the risers to ones that will hold any of the Pro-Taper style bars available all over the web...that or you could go the Spiegler superbike bar route.....sean
Let's not forget that ROX offers a very wide breadth of risers that allow one to configure their bars into any number of positions .... up, forward, backward ... and far less money than the Spiegler offerings. The ROX stuff also accommodates "fat bars" and Pro Tapers as well by mounting a conversion riser set in 7/8" risers.

I've seen the BBB Fab support brace before, however I thought it was a custom fabbed piece, I wasn't aware of it being a commercially available item. Thanks!

Early monster trees have the same adjustable steering stops as the SS and would be the easiest to convert, I use SS trees on my monster track bikes. Yes you will have more work to do to make it all work which brings me to the question... if you are turning your SS into a monster why not just trade into a monster? Same engine but better rear suspension design and a superbike looking chassis. You can run superbike bars or monster city tall bars depending in your fit.

I own both and think the SS is slightly better looking due to the classic fairing design but if you are removing the fairings you are doing to have a naked SS which while good is no longer as good looking as the classic monster and has few benefits overa monster at that point.

A customer just sold the bike you are building in that he had a shop Cafe out a 900CR with no fairings, tube bars and a monster round headlight . The customer bought it as his first Ducati but decided he wanted a less molested version so sold it.
So, sell the bike that I just bought, and buy a Monster? I haven't even ridden my SS yet. That makes no sense to me, sorry. I'd also point out that changing trees and bars is hardly "turning the SS into a Monster".

Let's remember that I am looking at options ... in case my neck issue won't work with the low handlebars of the SS. Also, "good looking" is a subjective issue.

If I sell my SS and buy a Monster ... then I'm no different ... no more unique ... than every other monkey's uncle that has a Monster. When you say "Superbike", are you referring to a Ducati "Superbike"? I don't see how that would get me any farther than what I already own. I'd still need to do something with the bars if my neck won't deal with the tucked in riding position.

Crucially, I don't have the money to uprate to a more recent model either. Besides, I prefer the air cooled engine.

Regarding the adjustable steering stops on the Monster triples, that's fine and all ... however Member *psyopper made mention of the offset of the Monster triples being 3mm shorter than the SS triples. So even though the Monster triples have "the same adjustable steering stops as the SS", there is 3mm less offset. Adjustable steering stops will not make up for that ... well, at least very much. That's why I asked about it.

I think we're getting off track here. It serves to remember that I may not need to change bars/triples at all. I'm simply looking ahead into possible options should I have problems with the low bars on the SS. And just because I happen to like the 1980s AMA Superbikes doesn't mean that is what I'm trying to do with my SS. Sure, I'm bound to be influenced and inspired by some of the aspects of those bikes, but having built a number of motorcycles and ATVs I know where the line is when it comes to making an apple out of a station wagon (as in attempting to do something so far beyond what a given bike's ethos is that it's a lost cause).

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate the input from everyone so far. But unless the SS is so wrong for me that I simply cannot ride it at all, I've no intention of selling it and going on yet another hunt for a 1990s air cooled Monster in as good condition with as low miles on the OD as the SS/CR I bought. Things would have to be very (very!) wrong with the SS/CR before I even began to take selling it and buying a Monster into consideration.

I appreciate where your heart is in regards to your suggestions. I understand you've nothing but the best of intentions, and I sincerely appreciate that. Thanks very much for your willingness to help.

I'm still open to more suggestions, ideas, and any experiences from others. :)

Rex.

·
Premium Member
3,593 Posts
So, sell the bike that I just bought, and buy a Monster? I haven't even ridden my SS yet. That makes no sense to me, sorry.
If you have not ridden it yet why are you condemning the stock bars that may be fine, or a set of heli bars that are a little higher? I thin you should ride it without too much money time spent on it first to see if you will like it before going down the rabbit hole too far. A monster would be cheaper and likely more comfortable with no modifications than a highly modded supersport.

I'd also point out that changing trees and bars is hardly "turning the SS into a Monster".
Great point except it seldom ends there. What will you do to have the bars clear the fairing and windscreen?
What about the new longer brake lines you will need?
Throttle cables will need to be changed to longer (monster) cables., sometimes choke as well.

I do these conversions enough to know it is never as simple or cheap to make such modifications as "just" a set of tree's, well unless you simply do not care the outcome which I doubt is the case. I have a customer with a spiegler bar conversion on a 996 and it is a very well made kit with many of the parts included to make things work, but it is far from inexpensive for that reason.
Crucially, I don't have the money to uprate to a more recent model either. Besides, I prefer the air cooled engine.
A man's got to know his limitations so good to know, I too prefer the air cooled motors and own both. I would not be surprised though if you asked around you might find a monster 900 owner that woould like a SS so rather than selling think of it as a parallel trade. My customer I mentioned with the modded/monsterized SS would have certainly considered a trade for a more original Supersport so they are out there it is a matter of finding each other.

If I sell my SS and buy a Monster ... then I'm no different ... no more unique ... than every other monkey's uncle that has a Monster.
True although if you research monsters you will see they may be the most highly modified /personalized Ducati model. You can do pretty much what you want to a monster and you are starting with possibly a BETTER starting point than the SS. In the end it is your bike ,your decision. I am only sharing my experience from building and working on them both for 20+ years, things I see first hand not read off a web page.

When you say "Superbike", are you referring to a Ducati "Superbike"?
Not Ducati superbike but 1980's UJM "superbike bend" which are about a 1-2" rise from the risers and are higher than what you have now. Not to be confused with clubmans which are lower.

Regarding the adjustable steering stops on the Monster triples, that's fine and all ... however Member *psyopper made mention of the offset of the Monster triples being 3mm shorter than the SS triples.
Yes the monster trees have less offset so more trail. I swap SS trees onto monsters with no steering stop issues. I have not gone the other way but have both bare monster frames and monster trees so if you ask nicely I can test fit a set if I can find what box the tree's are in. I would guess the stops just need a slight adjustment to keep the fork tubes off the frame tubes. Also the more rearward bars will need to clear the tank which with the tall risers you will need to clear your adjustable forks if you have them should fit.

Keep in mind that wide bars = more leverage so lighter perceived steering, this is why you have more trail to tame the tendency for riders to manhandle something that needs a light touch. Many monster's have steering dampers , more than clip on equipped bikes due to the wide bars.

I would wait until you get to spend some time on the bike as is first. If at that time you think a slightly higher bar will work I would look at Heli or some of the other brands that are higher than what you own and these while not as high as a monster bar will be close to a 1980's superbike bend with much fewer parts to change and added costs. This is all subjective if you end goal is more about building the bike into something "special to you" at which point have at it you will learn along the way.

I appreciate where your heart is in regards to your suggestions. I understand you've nothing but the best of intentions, and I sincerely appreciate that. Thanks very much for your willingness to help.
You are welcome opinions are free but often we both know their worth. It is your bike but I all to often see people create a tar baby out of something that was close to being right or so far off it would never work. As always know the risks and have fun on the journey.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you have not ridden it yet why are you condemning the stock bars that may be fine, or a set of heli bars that are a little higher?
I am not condemning them ... I have said over and over that "if" they don't work out, "then" I'll need to do something different. Please read what I've said again. I've also said over and over that I'm simply looking into options in the event the clip-ons don't work out. I don't know where you're getting this "condemning" thing from.

I thin you should ride it without too much money time spent on it first to see if you will like it before going down the rabbit hole too far.
I'm way ahead of that. Again, i'm not spending any money on reconfiguring the SS ... all i've done is ask questions, take notes, and putting those notes aside. It's just mental preparation, nothing more than finding out what options are available and making choices BEFORE spending a single red cent on anything involving reconfiguring the riding position. It's just questions.

A monster would be cheaper and likely more comfortable with no modifications than a highly modded supersport.
Thanks for your view and opinion.

Great point except it seldom ends there. What will you do to have the bars clear the fairing and windscreen?
remove or replace them. Yes yes ... I understand that it's more than a simple "R or R" task, but to me all of that is a given with no need for me to explain how I understand those notions. Probably my fault for taking a few things for granted (meaning you and others do not really know me yet).

What about the new longer brake lines you will need?
already way ahead of you there. I fully understand that.

Throttle cables will need to be changed to longer (monster) cables., sometimes choke as well.
already way ahead of you there. I fully understand that.

This is not my first rodeo. I've built a number of bikes/ATVs and even SCORE race trucks. I am fully aware that reconfiguring things has a defined domino affect. I purposely did not explain all of that in order to keep my opening post short and concise. Otherwise people don't want to read it, and/or complain about how long my posts are. But all of those problems and domino issues are a given, I understand that. Thinking more about that now, I think it's about the people in this membership getting to know me better. I've probably taken that for granted.

I do these conversions enough to know it is never as simple or cheap to make such modifications as "just" a set of tree's, well unless you simply do not care the outcome which I doubt is the case.
As have I. All of that stuff is a given. I totally and completely understand all of that. This is my seventeenth motorcycle. I've built race bikes, street bikes, and been a metal fabricator since I was 14 years old (1974). I designed all of my own front and rear suspension modifications myself, as well as did all of the welding and fab on that bike myself. I've designed and built BMX frames and forks long beforethe term "BMX" was ever coined. You're making a lot of assumptions about me here.

I have a customer with a spiegler bar conversion on a 996 and it is a very well made kit with many of the parts included to make things work, but it is far from inexpensive for that reason.
...check.

A man's got to know his limitations
Having been a street cop in S.E. Los Angeles during the highest crime rate era in the most densely populated region of the U.S.A ... I fully understand the concept of knowing ones limitations. It also how I survived while serving in a nuclear security counter terrorist team when taking on the Red Brigades in Germany while serving in the military. I owned and operated my own brick and mortar business that specialized in industrial equipment repair ... every day brought challenges that required thinking on your feet and coming up with improvised solutions. Fifteen years, 7k ft/sq facility, eighteen employees, and responsible (contracted) for making sure that emergency power generators were up to snuff for airports, hospitals, police stations, fire departments, communications repeater stations, and casinos.

I would not be surprised though if you asked around you might find a monster 900 owner that woould like a SS so rather than selling think of it as a parallel trade. My customer I mentioned with the modded/monsterized SS would have certainly considered a trade for a more original Supersport so they are out there it is a matter of finding each other.
Thank you, I'll keep that in mind should I find myself in a situation that requires such actions.

True although if you research monsters you will see they may be the most highly modified /personalized Ducati model. You can do pretty much what you want to a monster and you are starting with possibly a BETTER starting point than the SS. In the end it is your bike ,your decision. I am only sharing my experience from building and working on them both for 20+ years, things I see first hand not read off a web page.
Check.

Not Ducati superbike but 1980's UJM "superbike bend" which are about a 1-2" rise from the risers and are higher than what you have now. Not to be confused with clubmans which are lower.
Well aware of that. comes down to risers used and bars selected. Again, I raced for years, built bikes, I get it.

Yes the monster trees have less offset so more trail. I swap SS trees onto monsters with no steering stop issues. I have not gone the other way but have both bare monster frames and monster trees so if you ask nicely I can test fit a set if I can find what box the tree's are in. I would guess the stops just need a slight adjustment to keep the fork tubes off the frame tubes. Also the more rearward bars will need to clear the tank which with the tall risers you will need to clear your adjustable forks if you have them should fit.
I understand that.

Keep in mind that wide bars = more leverage so lighter perceived steering, this is why you have more trail to tame the tendency for riders to manhandle something that needs a light touch. Many monster's have steering dampers , more than clip on equipped bikes due to the wide bars.
Understood.

I would wait until you get to spend some time on the bike as is first.
I'm not barrelling into changing anything ... again, I'm just gathering information.

If at that time you think a slightly higher bar will work I would look at Heli or some of the other brands that are higher than what you own and these while not as high as a monster bar will be close to a 1980's superbike bend with much fewer parts to change and added costs.
I'm not after a "superbike bend" ... I just want to be able to ride the bike without pain. If it ends up that the stock bars work, then GREAT!

This is all subjective if you end goal is more about building the bike into something "special to you" at which point have at it you will learn along the way.
Gotchya.

You are welcome opinions are free but often we both know their worth. It is your bike but I all to often see people create a tar baby out of something that was close to being right or so far off it would never work. As always know the risks and have fun on the journey.
Understood.

Somewhere along the way here things have become confused. I'm not intent on doing anything before actually putting time on the bike. I've mentioned my liking for UJM AMA Superbikes .... but that's all it is ... an admiration. However I fully understand that function comes way way way before form. I've not once said I'm going to spend a bunch of money on triples, bars, and so on before ever even riding the bike. I really hope that I've conveyed that clearly now so I don't cause any confusion. I promise I'll obtain a Monster if it comes to that. Ok? Thank you very much for your input. The fact that you posted all of the above may be helpful to many many other folks thinking of diving headlong into something they know little about. I think you and I have far more in common as far as experience and knowledge gained from decades of doing things than at first thought.

Lastly, just to make certain I've got my intentions across ... I'm just gathering information ... no money will be spent on anything until time is put on the bike. I'm the type of person that thinks forward, and gather information on possible outcomes before the situation is dire and demands immediate action. Which is all I'm doing in this thread.

Thanks so much for your input, and I hope you will continue to do so. Rex.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey Rex I am just screwing with you here mate not getting into the middle of this --But you do know that the first Bike to win the World Superbike title was -------A BMW R90S lol

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Rex I am just screwing with you here mate not getting into the middle of this --But you do know that the first Bike to win the World Superbike title was -------A BMW R90S lol
Actually, I do know that! I'm not all super informed about all of the riders in the early onset of the AMA SBK stuff, but it's been a hobby of mine (as a matter of study) for about ten years now. I was in the military 79 to 85 so I wasn't really in a position to attend any events back then. The thing I like the most about that era was bikes had to be built, not bought. And a good deal of the riders were more or less on their own as privateers or with small sponsorships. Those old bikes handled like ass. "Wobble machines" as some called them. Kenny Roberts used to call them "The Diesels" due to their weight, size, and rather clumsy abilities compared to GP bikes of the day.

Some of the "cheater tricks" were interesting as well. Some teams would actually put together chrome moly frames, copied as much as possible with small but effective changes in geometry, going as far as making the welds look like mass produced MIG welded frames to sneak past tech inspection. To me, it was the "men of men" class since the bikes weren't designed on a sheet of paper on an engineer's drafting table and purposely designed to suit the task ... but instead were street bikes that were never designed for racing. Simply amazing era, with very interesting modifications to suit the rules and the task.

The likes of Wes Cooley, Freddie Spencer, Wayne Rainey, and many others "loved to hate" those bikes back then. Wobble monsters, with far more horsepower than the frames and suspension could deal with, and tires that would be considered garbage today. No rider assist tech (wheelie control, ABS brakes, and the like).

Single pot Lockheed calipers, forks taken from heavy cruisers extended by welding a short length of a donor set of forks to raise the bike up an inch or so adapted to their bikes, hand-modified side cases on the engines to provide cornering clearance, and exhaust systems bent by hand without using a tube bender (it's easy to spot those, they don't have mandrel bent curves that go from 90 degree bend to the next 90 degree bend, but instead have long graceful curves that were made by packing sand inside of the tubes as a mandrel and bent little bits at a time in a vise or other jig to create the long curves). Many of the frame mods were brazed together rather than welded. And the obvious "cheater fairings" made by mounting a large number plate out in front of the triples at an angle and up high to create a "fairing". Same with the rear end, large number plates mounted in such a way that they actually "cleaned up" the buffeting as the airstream broke around the ass end of the bike. The engines were coated with "Kal-Gard" which was a very thin grey/black coating that helped to "pull heat" from the engines back then (that's a very simplified explanation). Just killer bikes.

Those guys had balls of brass, so large they clanked when they walked.

:laugh:

I could talk about those bikes all day.

:wink2:

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Member *BelgianDuc900SS ... you're a frelling LEGEND man!!! Thank you!

:smile2:

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Before you commit to changing anything, remember that the stock 900SS clip ons are very high. They were way too high for me, even after dropping them as low as they would go, and I had to ultimately change them out for 888 clip ons, which are several inches lower.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Before you commit to changing anything, remember that the stock 900SS clip ons are very high. They were way too high for me, even after dropping them as low as they would go, and I had to ultimately change them out for 888 clip ons, which are several inches lower.
Thank you. To be clear, as I've said several times (four? five?), I'm not spending any money or changing anything regarding the handlebars until I put some time on the bike.

·
Registered
944 Posts

AMA Superbike title....yes. World Superbike title....no. That honor would go to Honda and Fred Merkel.

This is a complete list of FIM World Superbike Champions, from 1988 up to and including 2018.

(I cropped the chart at 1995)

Riders Championship

By season
Season Champion Motorcycle Wins 2nd pl. 3rd pl. Team

1988 Fred Merkel Honda RC30 2 2 1 Rumi Honda
1989 Fred Merkel Honda RC30 3 2 5 Rumi Honda
1990 Raymond Roche Ducati 851 8 7 2 Squadra Corse Ducati Lucchinelli

1991 Doug Polen Ducati 888 17 4 0 Fast by Ferracci Ducati
1992 Doug Polen Ducati 888 9 4 2 Team Police Ducati
1993 Scott Russell Kawasaki ZXR-750 5 12 1 Team Muzzy Kawasaki 1994 Carl Fogarty Ducati 916 10 4 0 Virginio Ferrari Ducati Corse

1995 Carl Fogarty Ducati 916 13 6 0 Virginio Ferrari Ducati Corse

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm really coming around to the stock CR fairing ~look~, so I'm really hoping the stock handlebars/clip-ons work out!

Then the only thing fairing related will be the headlight. I hope the stocker will be sufficient for these unlighted roads and pitch black highways out here.

On my 1984 Sportster I replaced the sealed beam with a Hella lens and Hella H4 bulb (the sneaky one, that had a 55 watt low beam and a 100 watt high beam). It really helped out.

So here's to praying to the Ducati gods that the clip ons and the headlight work out!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts