Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rolled over 7,500 miles and I want to do my own service. I know I need belts and some other things. Are you guys using a shim Kit ot buying them individually? Where do you guys get your parts online? If you have any advice on valve checks let me know. I'm searching for info at this time. Thanks!

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
If you want to spend the money, I'm sure a shim set will save you a lot of time, not having to go buy them or wait for the mail. I have been buying mine separately and I do it during the winter so time is not as big a factor. Sometimes , once you measure, you find some shims can be used elsewhere, but it's great to be able to get one from the box and move on. My closest dealer is 75 miles but there's a repair shop that I usually order through.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to spend the money, I'm sure a shim set will save you a lot of time, not having to go buy them or wait for the mail. I have been buying mine separately and I do it during the winter so time is not as big a factor. Sometimes , once you measure, you find some shims can be used elsewhere, but it's great to be able to get one from the box and move on. My closest dealer is 75 miles but there's a repair shop that I usually order through.
My dealer is 75 miles away too. I have a KTM 690 that takes shims so I bought a kit from Hot Cams to make it easier. I haven't started sourcing parts and supplies but if I can get a Ducati kit for $100 or less I might do it.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
You can order shims as needed from EMSDuc online. When I did the 15,000 mile service on my 1100 EVO I measured and ordered only the shims I needed (and one a size larger and a size smaller than what I needed-just in case). All told, it took me 2 weeks to do the valves and belts. It probably cost me more in the long run than if I had Ducati do it but it was a worthwhile experience IMO. Having the satisfaction of doing it myself is huge.

I did it in the middle of August when it was hot as hell in my garage. I generally don't ride much when it's that hot anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts