Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Monster 696. The rear seat cowl bolts just spin and spin. Is there a trick or a clip I can get a hold on with pliers? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
If they are well nuts, the rubber expansion nuts they use, the center will sometimes seize on the bolt and turn with it. If you can get something in there to squeeze it you can usually get the bolt out. Never use loctite on these because of this. If anything, put some anti seize on it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Umm I used to own a monster 696, I never removed the cowl by the bolts? I just pulled on the bolt parts and it had these plastic tabs that kept the cowl in place.

Okay watched a few youtube videos and seems like my bike had some aftermarket stuff installed, made it really easy to pull the cowl out and put in the replacement "bolts" to fill the holes ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I think I know what the problem is. Someone put a regular hex screw in when it takes a special screw/bolt. Not sure how to get these out though.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
What I said still applies. See if you can grab the fasteners from behind with needle nose pliers to keep them from turning while you unscrew the bolt.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Quick comment on this, as it also happened to me. The cowl bolt goes into a plastic plug on the seat, with a brass threaded insert. In my case, the issue was the brass insert spinning inside the plastic plug. I was able to remove the plug from the seat (with the cowl attached to it), but even then I could not prevent the brass insert from spinning. I ended up ordering a new plug (I believe it was $15 or so) and cutting the old one with the Dremel, so I could grab the brass insert with plies and loosen the cowl bolt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts