Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to make a purchase soon, but this will be my first Duc and I need advice from the group on 696 vs 1100. In the past I've ridden MX and I've had a couple of GSXR's. I'm 38 now and have had health issues, so I doubt the 848 would be the bike for me and I'm figuring the monster would be better for ergo issues, but still give me enough sport to keep me happy. I'll be using the bike for weekend joy rides and sometimes commuting thru backroads to work. I can afford either bike, so cost isn't an issue. I've read about the low rpm issues with the 1100 and that concerns me since I will spend a good bit of time "putting around" in traffic, etc. I'm thinking I could get the 696 and spend the money saved on termi exhaust, etc. I guess what I need from the group is will the 696 keep me entertained considering I've had GSXR's in the past or should I step up to the 1100 keeping in mind I will do a lot of back road pleasure riding and won't be dragging my knees like I did in the past. Also, will there be a big difference in maint. costs between the 2 bikes? Sorry for the long post, but the monster line is new to me and I need your advice. I appreciate your help.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Maint. costs should be the same on both bikes.
I'd vote for getting the 1100.
I think you'd start looking for more power pretty fast.
I haven't ridden the 1100 however I assume that low speed riding shouldn't be a problem if you change the gearing and possibly fueling.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Ducati is giving free maintenance for a year until Aug 31. I just bought an 1100 and found that out, looks like I'll definitely have to get at least 7,500 miles on it within the next year. I think people overexaggerate the low speed chugging and stalling. It just seems like typical dry clutch Ducati characteristics that some people might not be used to.

·
Registered
230 Posts
sounds like you are in a similar situation i was in. I got the 1100 and am glad I did. the only thing that sucks is the surging at low rpms. sucks for me because traffic here in hawaii is almost omnipresent. but otherwise, great bike!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems I may have stumbled upon a good price for a '07 S4R. That might be a good way for me to go so I can have a monster with more power than the GSXR's I had in the past. Best of both worlds perhaps. I've got my fingers crossed that I may soon be the proud owner of a Duc. We'll see...;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts