Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so today, I took my first serious ride of the season. I was gone for about 6 hours, riding the twisties and such, and was disappointingly uncomfortable.

This winter I grew a tiny bit, but I mean, really.

So, what is there out there to make the 696 more sufficient for day, multi day, or even the planned iron butt, use?

I already have the comfort touring seat from Ducati, but that's it, as far as comfy stuff.

I have heard alot about risers and different bars, so do they effect the steering, lock to lock? I feel like the bars are meant to fit perfectly into the perforated area. Can anyone speak from personal experience? How about some pics.

Any advice appreciated

Hibbz

·
Registered
5 Posts
This week-end I have made 2 modifications to improve the comfort of 696:
- changed the seat for the touring one: more confortable, no more "slope" that was pressing the nuts against the tank, less slippery.
- as I did not find any riser for the 696, I have lowered the tubes of the fork by 1.5 cm (maximum possible): less "charge" on wrists (should have decreased the agility on curves but I did not notice it)

Hope it helps!

·
Registered
81 Posts

I installed Grip Puppies over the grips. They help cushion pressure on my wrists, and give a fuller feel. I'm on the fence about them, but they only cost $10.

Touring seat mos def helps the butt. I also wear padded biking shorts underneath my riding jeans.

With those items though, I still get uncomfortable after 30 mins of riding. :think:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Ok, so today, I took my first serious ride of the season. I was gone for about 6 hours, riding the twisties and such, and was disappointingly uncomfortable.

Hibbz

Hey Hibbz... i feel your pain man.
I have a new 1100 S and i spent a couple of days in Texas last week
scooting the Hill Country on a pal's 696. It's a fine ride but it is never going to make it as a distance scoot. Nor was it ever intended to be. The folks at Ducati always saw it as a bit of a canyon/urban blaster.

This September, 3 of us will do Seattle to Halifax... about 6000 miles the way we've planned it, on 250 Ninja R's and i guarantee you we will be more comfortable than we would be on my Monster.

Bars, padded seats, and padded bicycle shorts will all help but there's still the
seat to peg distance, gearing issues and the overall tininess of the bike.

If you're looking to put in a whole bunch of 400-600 mile days, i'd be
looking at other scoots. The Multi Strada will pretty much laugh at that
mileage.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I can't really comment on the 696, however i have ridden my monster 600 for 500 mile+ rides.
It's got a corbin seat and a DP carbon windscreen (are there any decent windscreens for the 696?) wich really helped for longer trips. Those both helped a ton, especially the windscreen really helped taking some of the wind from my shoulders.

One thing i think would help, but doesn't bolt on to your bike, would be to go to the gym. With stronger muscles you wont just sit on the seat like a bag of potatoas taking a beating every time you hit a bump.

Something that made longer highway riding easier for me was putting my butt in the back of the seat and having my toes on the pegs, this reduced the wind buffeting.

What makes it unconfortable for you to ride? space between the pegs and the seat? bar position? seat comfort?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts