Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just to set the scene, my name is Jason, Have owned Ducati motor bikes in all shapes and forms for the last 12 years. I currently own a 999 and a 620 Sport.

A few months ago i was looking into going racing. Not as a front runner, but as a weekend club event type of thing. I bought a 620 Sport to enter a "Twin Sprint" class that allows 2 cylinder road bikes up to 699cc. A lot of people are running the Suzuki SV650's. Yeah yeah, i know, i could run the same, but then i would just end up being a sheep. I decided that my love for Ducati should see me take another direction. A 620 became available and i was all over it. Sure, its not in the same HP league, but who cares, i get to trundle round on a bike that i want to be on, not a bike i want to win on.

I have been search the forums for weeks now. Only problem is that a lot of the info i find pertains to the 620 monsters. I see a few others have 620 Sports as race bikes, but they never mention anything about them that helps me out.

My questions are...

1a: Will the 900SS/1000DS adjustable suspension slot straight in (or perhaps M900 or ST Forks ??) Or is there a kit for the 620 that will give it adjusters ? Race Tech dont seem to make a kit for the 620's, only for the Showa forks it appears. I have read that the super bike forks, 748, 996, 999 etc require some shimming and different axles. a link or more info on maybe using these as an alternative, as there are heaps of them on ebay, and not many SS type forks.

1b: Rear suspension from other models ? found a cheap Ohlins rear shock for a 1000MultiStrada with remote adjuster for cheap. Looks similar, but ?

2: As a race weight reduction, i wanted to run a single muffler. one way i thought was to use an old pre '98 600SS exhaust system. Also cuts costs on mufflers only having to buy one, and there are heaps of "generic" mufflers i can use then. An alternative, are the post '01 750SS, 800SS, 900SS and 1000DS exhaust headers all the same fit ? Might be easier to get the cross over taken out and a Y section added to remove one side exhaust.

3: Race fairings ? Im not using sharkskins because they want almost double the price of the fairings to ship them to Australia. $190 seat + $280 postage. Ouch. I found out about Ricambi Weiss via this forum... good deals ? Their stuff ok and reliable parts and postage ? An alternative for race fairings. Australia would be good, but world wide is ok.

4: anything else i have forgotten ? gearing ratios ? air intake mods, power commander ? FIM Ultimap ? (bike has no red key but has original black key, starts and rides fine.)

Sorry this is a long post, but i figured it better to ask a heap of questions together then to start a new thread for each...

Many thanks in advance for any help. By far one of the best motorcycle forums i have been on.

Now, lastly, can everyone go easy on the post count and spare me the "use the search function" speech. I have been coming to this site for a long time to read up on anything i have ever needed to know. Only just registered to ask a few questions because i have searched for weeks and cant find the answers when i search for them. I am not a new user, (re: n00b) it's just that im not a big contributor.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I am one of the few 620 Sport owners here. I think I recall only seeing one other one. I took my bike out to the track for the first time last week. I could hang with some of the I4 600's in the corners, but not enough hp to pass in the straights.

1.a./b. Interested to see the responses on this question.

2. From my understanding the 800/1000 exhaust was only different in that the had a straight pipe without the honeycomb convdrter inside. Per a Ducati Dealer, we can still order the pipes from them, but do not have the option of the pre-mapped ECU to go with them. Price was around $1200.

3. Sharkskinz and Hotbodies both told me they didn't carry parts for the bike.

4. The only power mod I have done was to put in the iridium plugs and put in better spark plug wires (TPO Dragon - see ebay). Oh yeah, and I figure my custom paint and powdercoated parts added at least 5-10 hp. :) The Ducati specs show 62 hp at the shaft for the bike and the only Dyno I have done came to 65.3 at the wheel (yes, I know all are different).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am still searching madly.

I cant get a set of forks without paying huge $$'s for them, and i dont want to just to find out they dont work. I am getting to a point where i am going to swap out the whole front end and put in the triple clamps and front wheels from a super bike. Didnt want to go that route, as its very expensive and may not even be legal under the rules. One thing i have noticed is that the top triple clamp part No. 341.1.039.1A, and bottom triple clamp part No. 342.2.007.1A are identical to both 620ie and 1000DS

The exhaust part numbers are different, but only by one number. This could mean something like bigger diameter at the manifold end not allowing it to mount into the head... I found some exhaust headers here. The ones on the bike are RS and need replacing. Might just be easier to get the bad section removed and a new section put in. Was hoping all the systems are the same. I might be able to get a loan of a set of 750SS headers from a 01MY and see if they fit.

As for the bodies on these bikes, i am 99% sure its the same body across all the 99+ SS bikes. I have converted a 750Sport into a SS using gravel rashed 2nd hand fairing parts off a 1000DS without an issue. Would imagine the 620 to have the same fairing parts. All of the part numbers match except for colours. If you are buying a replica race glass kit, im sure it would be the same across all of the SS range.

I got a power commander on order as i cannot find the FIM Ultimap units. Their website is blocked by the provider for not paying a bill or something. My bike starts and runs without an issue, just no red key. So cant afford to lose the only black key i have. If i do, then i will look more into the FIM fuel injection systems. I have power commanders on all my other bikes, so im very happy with how they work!

If i find out any more info, i will keep you all posted. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Any fork from post -98 SS's will fit. M and ST's are wrong length.
Once there was pre-load adjusters available as a kit from DP, not worth it.
SBK forks will require machining of the upper and shimming of the lower fork yokes. But the axle is the same. Do a search, there's a lot of posts on the subject. Well search again! ;)

Get an Öhlins or similar specifically made for an SS. It doesn't matter if the shock says Öhlins if the internals are wrong and set up for another model.

620, 800 and 1000 SS's use the same headers (same part #'s) 750 and 900 use different headers and are not interchangeable.

Found a Czech company that still makes SSie race fairings though shipping to Oz might be a bit pricey. http://www.motoforza-czech.cz/

In the DP exhaust kit there's a replacement fuel pressure regulator for the 620. Mr Black does not mention this in his reports (bikeboy.org), so I'm not sure it does anything worthwhile, sure feels like it though.

Oh, my track bike is a 620 Sport:
Done - Lights removed, race fairing, DP slip-ons with FPR and open air box, Öhlins rear shock.
To do - SBK fork conversion, get myself to drive faster... :eek:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Found a Czech company that still makes SSie race fairings though shipping to Oz might be a bit pricey.
And that company name is ____?

pegaxs said:
As for the bodies on these bikes, i am 99% sure its the same body across all the 99+ SS bikes. I have converted a 750Sport into a SS using gravel rashed 2nd hand fairing parts off a 1000DS without an issue. Would imagine the 620 to have the same fairing parts. All of the part numbers match except for colours. If you are buying a replica race glass kit, im sure it would be the same across all of the SS range.
When I said "my bike", I was including those others as they would fit too. I was told by both companies that just in general, they don't carry parts for our gen of SS (or S in our case).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts