Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Got a 2003 620SS here with 30k miles, stock wet clutch
There's a strange rattle noise when the clutch is engaged.
In gear or Neutral, makes no difference.
Pulling the clutch lever in, and the rattle pretty much dissappears.

Took off the clutch cover.
The basket looks OK to me, I don't really notice any wear (?)
The disk plates measured thickness is 3.5mm. It is right at the limit accodring to the service manual? Got a 400 manual but they have the same clutch plates
Also the disk plates have some wear on the outer ring. Photo attached. Can this cause the rattle?
The pressure plate springs are measured and they are 43+mm, so sould be fine
The clutch basket M25 nut is nice and tight, There is Slight up-down play when jerking the clutch basket by hand
I read some threads on the forum that the flywheel/alternator nut on the other side can also be a culprit... (?)

Running out of ideas, what can be the cause of this rattle/noise?

IMG_20200418_193803.jpg
InkedIMG_20200418_193940_LI.jpg
IMG_20200418_193934.jpg IMG_20200418_193803.jpg InkedIMG_20200418_193940_LI.jpg IMG_20200418_193934.jpg

·
Registered
55 Posts
That basket and the tangs on the plates looks pretty mint, i have seen them way worse.
Check the big nut in the middle of the basket, if they come loose can make some pretty weird noises, you will have to make a tool to hold the basket from turning somehow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The big 32mm drum nut is Tight.
There is some light wear on the inner and outer baskets. But again not too bad, added some photos
What I don't like is the clunky outer basket play, it is at least 2 mm. Is this Normal? Could this be the cause of the rattle?
Video:

Basket wear:
IMG_20200419_163803.jpg

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
Do you mean between the tangs and basket grooves ? Because if you’re saying your basket does anything but spin you have an issue . That might explain the wear on the outer portion of the plates. I’ve never seen that before. I think you should pull the hub and basket and have a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Do you mean between the tangs and basket grooves ? Because if you’re saying your basket does anything but spin you have an issue . That might explain the wear on the outer portion of the plates. I’ve never seen that before. I think you should pull the hub and basket and have a look.

There is some light notching on the inner hub and outer basket fangs. Not too bad.
The outer basket with the primary gear has a slight play up&down.
Primary gear bearings shot?

·
Premium Member
5,436 Posts
Inner hub and basket tangs look fine. There were some wet clutch bikes that had cush drive springs in the outer basket that did fail.Pull the outer basket and inspect the back side of the outer basket.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
I won’t guess. You have to pull the basket and hub and get a look, but something isn’t right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the bearing (#14), that didn't do much, may be Little bit less up-down movement.
Next up: the inner beearing ring (#13).
Will have to wait 2-3 weeks to get it from the dealer... part number 88110261A

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got that inner bearing ring (#13). Replaced that but no difference. Still some up/down lef/right movement with the outer basket.
Outer basket back side looks fine.
Running out of ideas here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re-installed the clutch basket with the new bearings. May be little bit less noisy but overall pretty much the same.
Pulling the clutch lever even little bit, barely touching it, and the rattle disappears completely?
It is coming from the right side somewhere near the oil pump, difficult to say.
Video below.

·
Registered
7,372 Posts
You can look up “quiet clutch mod” for dry clutches and try that. I’ve never heard of doing it with a wet clutch but I don’t know of any reason why you couldn’t try it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Few weeks and lots of $$$ later
Brand New Ducati clutch plates/friction plates
Brand New Ducati hub/basket.
Both the inner basket bearings have been replaced.
Perhaps Little bit better pretty much still the old rattle when clutch is engaged.

Can someone say for ceratin the outer basket is supposed to move like this?
Everything including the basket itself is now brand new, there is nothing more to replace
Is this slight basket play what even causing this rattle.........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts