Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky me my bike is acting up , last month is got me to work and just would not start ,it would turn over , all the lights came on you could even hear the slight buzz from I 'd guess the fuel pump .

Had it towed to the dealership ,in a few days they called me and said its the starter relay and they had a good used one for half the price of a new ,so they put it on it ran fine for this last 3-4 weeks went to work same thing , just wont start ,turns over ,wont "fire up".

I have read letters on this subject and most say check all the wire, batt, leads ,etc but would a starter relay on a 620 really make it not start ,it sounds very strong when it turns over and the bike runs great .

I dont want to buy a used one,or pay dealership prices , would anyone know were i could look up the part number for an 03 ducati ie ss full faring 620 >starter relay < Thanks

·
Registered
979 Posts
I dont want to buy a used one,or pay dealership prices , would anyone know were i could look up the part number for an 03 ducati ie ss full faring 620 >starter relay < Thanks
Ive said it before, and Ill say it again... ebay ebay ebay. You can find anything there, but you may have to be patient to find one for the right price. Also cant hurt to post a WTB in the classifieds here on .ms

·
Registered
116 Posts
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but if the starter relay was duff the starter motor would not spin, the engine would not turn over. Therefore the problem is elsewhere. Fuel / air / spark.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
You can select your bike from here Ducati Omaha - Ducati OEM Parts Ordering System - Parts Fiche

Then "flick" through to find the part and hence number.

I would do the following first.

Check fuse 6-14 first as it may be that simple. The legend in the fuse box lid will probably refer to it as Injection.

If that is OK, remove the front spark plug, then with the HT lead back on, rest the metal thread of the plug on the engine so it connects. Then try to start the bike normally and look for a spark at the plug.

Spark means the problem is elsewhere and no spark means follow my instructions below.

I expect the wiring is similar, if not the same as a 1000DS copy I have. Unfortunately it is crap as it does not show what connects to what over the 2 pages it is on. Pretty dumb IMO

The "Start" relay will not be the the big one that cranks the starter motor as that is working. That is called a contactor and is much bigger than a relay.

Within the wiring there are probably two relays, but maybe just one on the 620. These will be located very close to the fuse box.

If fitted, one is a master relay that closes when the key is in the on position. This powers up the fuse box. Red/black cable is power into this relay and brown is the power out to the fuse box. This relay is working otherwise you would not be able to get lights, camera action! This relay can be identified by also having a red/white cable to it and a black cable.

The other relay provides power to the injectors and coils. This is probably where the problem lies in that no power means no fuel via the injectors and no spark.

This relay can be identified by having two brown cables going to it and I think a brown/white cable and a brown/black cable. This is probably a relay that is readily available in auto electrical stores.

A quick way to check a relay is to put a finger on top of the relay, then turn on the bike with stand up etc. and you should feel the relay click. You can also pull out the relay and test it with 12 volts to the coil - positive to 86 and negative to 85 and you should hear and feel the click. Power into this relay is terminal 30 and power out, once the coil is energised is terminal 87.
When not energised, the resistance between 30 and 87 will be infinite and when energised will be close to zero.

If you don't have a multimeter you can test the relay with a 12 volt bulb and some wires. Connect terminal 30 to battery positive, then connect one side of a bulb to terminal 87 and the other side of the bulb to battery negative. Then energise the coil with positive to 86 and negative to 85. The bulb should light and if it does not then the relay is stuffed.

Relays can get "stuck" or have arced (dirty) contacts inside. Sometimes a tap on a hard surface will free it up, but better to change it.

Like I wrote, the diag I have is crap, so it is impossible to see if the fuel pump is connected to this relay. It is on my 2001 900SS so fuel pump priming means that "start" relay is OK.

Check/test and tell us how you get on in case we need to delve further.

Richard

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Great , I try everything today ,again Im just going by what the dealership told me the problem was the starter relay ,I went out to my bike about noon right before I posted ,and the bike started and I can push start the bike , so I went to go to work and the bike just turned over and nothing would not fire up ,again thanks for the advice ,and I do get all my parts of ebay ,I orderd a relay for 11 bucks with a 30 day warrenty so when ii get that ,Ill see if that makes a diffrence . I see from the parts diagram its called the Remote switch ,that they replaced ,thats what I orderd off ebay ,I dont know ,I had better luck with my Susuki and Yamaha s lol thanks again .

And to the guy with the the starter relay "duff" question ,I read alot and the forms are full of bikes that will turn over and not start and the problem seems to be the starter relay ,so I dont know why you would answer a post and have nothing to say ,next time just dont say anything if you cant help .

·
Registered
267 Posts

And to the guy with the the starter relay "duff" question ,I read alot and the forms are full of bikes that will turn over and not start and the problem seems to be the starter relay ,so I dont know why you would answer a post and have nothing to say ,next time just dont say anything if you cant help .
To hopefully un-muddy the waters here a little, the unit which Punch correctly calls a contactor--the unit that sits between the battery positive and the starter hot connection with the 2 large cable connections and the small white plug from the key switch circuit--is very commonly referred to (at least in the US) as a "starter relay" which, technically speaking, it is. My first thought in reading the original post was similar to Cookie's, but after a bit, I figured it may have been a question of semantics.

Bryan

·
Registered
116 Posts
Great , I try everything today ,again Im just going by what the dealership told me the problem was the starter relay ,I went out to my bike about noon right before I posted ,and the bike started and I can push start the bike , so I went to go to work and the bike just turned over and nothing would not fire up ,again thanks for the advice ,and I do get all my parts of ebay ,I orderd a relay for 11 bucks with a 30 day warrenty so when ii get that ,Ill see if that makes a diffrence . I see from the parts diagram its called the Remote switch ,that they replaced ,thats what I orderd off ebay ,I dont know ,I had better luck with my Susuki and Yamaha s lol thanks again.
Wait, wait, wait..... i was in the middle of a reply about the second half of your post but i thought i would google this "remote switch" you mention. Do you mean item 3 on this page?

BATTERY BOX MOUNT. Fits: Ducati SuperSport | Pandora's Ducati Parts

'Cos if so, as i said, that's for the starter motor, and it can't be that if you're engine is turning over. Don't take my word for it:

The big one that cranks the starter motor as that is working.
The unit that sits between the battery positive and the starter hot connection with the 2 large cable connections and the small white plug from the key switch circuit.
They are both talking about item 3.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
I see from the parts diagram its called the Remote switch ,that they replaced ,thats what I orderd off ebay ,I dont know ,I had better luck with my Susuki and Yamaha s lol thanks again .

First part of above - the "Remote Switch" from the link Cookie posted is the starter motor contractor.
Second part of above - Cookie was correct in that if that was stuffed the bike would not crank and therefore it is probably a fuel or spark issue.

My earlier post about the checking the fuse, relay and spark plug out of the head will test/check if this is where the problem lies. My preference is to test to find a problem rather than change parts in an ad hoc manner.

Repeating myself from other threads on electrics, even the cheapest, crappiest multimeter is an invaluable tool to test voltages around bikes to see where they "disappear" and hence hone in on the section of the wiring that has the problem. Similarly the meter can be used on the resistance scale to hone in on crap wires, components etc.

Richard

·
Registered
116 Posts
My preference is to test to find a problem rather than change parts in an ad hoc manner.
I agree with that! Even with ebay parts available, i'm just not that flush. Elimination may be slow but is the only way. Imagine you're playing "Guess Who?" but with crappy Italian electrical components. ;)

Repeating myself from other threads on electrics, even the cheapest, crappiest multimeter is an invaluable tool
So true, if some bike companies were being honest about their electrics there would have been one in the OEM tool kit. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yup

Yes thanks I couldnt find the part ,but now I looked up "contactor" and thats the part (Thank You) ,yes seems to be the issue ,basicly if my bike wont start ,if I unplug it ,wiggle, jiggle or tap ,it will start right up ,I found it for about 100 bucks new , hopefully thats the ticket .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts