Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone just replacing headstock bearings bike as been stood for a few years
befor i got it, and the steering as got jerky, tightening head nut the one with the four notches, manual says 44 newton meters but how tight is that without a torque wrench.

·
Registered
746 Posts
hi everyone just replacing headstock bearings bike as been stood for a few years
befor i got it, and the steering as got jerky, tightening head nut the one with the four notches, manual says 44 newton meters but how tight is that without a torque wrench.

Are you really sure you want to be working on your bike?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
you adjust the 4 notch nut by hand, if you had a tool you might go up to 8nm, but not much at all. a koni shock tool fits just nice and is short so you don't put a lot of leverage on it.

then i nip the top centre stem nut of the top triple up so that the triple sits against the 4 notch nut with a little force, but not very tight. so you know the 4 notch nut can't move when it's all done basically. then torque the 3 top triple pinch screws - 22nm centre, 34nm forks - then back off and retighten the top centre stem nut again to a nip plus a little.

if you tighten the top centre stem nut like ducati do then it will load the bearings by pushing down the top triple and the 4 notch nut. torquing the pinch screw first will help stop this, but it still happens if you use torque on it and it makes a very noticeable difference. the nut doesn't need to be that tight.

with the front up i like it so the forks will fall to the side or bounce gently off the stops with a gentle push. as part of the first service i used to undo the top centre stem nut and adjust the bearings then tighten again as above. if your nut is still as ex factory then you can feel the amount of load it puts on the bearings when you undo it if you move the steering side to side before and after.

to clarify, attached image from the manual shows top centre stem nut circled in red, top triple pinch screws circled in blue and 4 notch nut circled in black

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts