Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guy's paying the Dealer to do the first service? Does it really need to be done by them or can we do it ourselves?
I heard that we can't reset the Oil Change light, is that true? If I can do it myself, I would prefer not to give the Dealer anymore of my money...:nerd:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I was able to negotiate the first service into the deal when I bought my bike so it didn't cost me anything. It shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars though.

As for doing it yourself, you can but you won't be able to reset the service light. My dealer charged me half an hour labor to reset the service light when I did the 15k mile service on my Monster which cost me around $60.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I paid around $240 for the first service. They also stamp your maintenance log sheet. You will need them in order to maintain your warranty. I think only the major services needs to be done by a Ducati tech/dealer so maybe the 600, 6500 and 15k for starters.

·
Premium Member
12,297 Posts
The Proper first service...
Look up what is supposed to be done...

It is an insurance policy if something happens then you can whine and say that it is their fault.
A good time to look at the oil screen and see what is in there,

I'll bet that there are dealers that change oil & Filter and that's all the do besides give it a quick glance over, and put lots of smudges on the bike to look like they did something.

Then the dealers that do what the service is intended to do and check fasteners and test ride Etc. etc.

Supporting your dealer and developing a relationship with them can be of help if something does happen down the road. Having a trained eye and ear who knows and cares about your Ducati Experience , is going to get rid of that "I Hope that I done it right"
nagging feeling.

I hate the Gorilla mechanics who will overtighten things , miss the little things that you may do right.

Roll the dice....Get your hands dirty or pay the man.

Good thing to check the mechanics work after the overpriced service...

Reactions: Sco

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,477 Posts

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I don't think I've ever paid for a real 600 mi service. It's either been negotiated in the purchase price, or I've done them myself. One dealer turned the service reminder off when I had a bike in for a warranty problem. Another one charged me $50 bucks for the 'first service' on my air-cooled. He let me come back to the service area with him and we talked bikes while he adjusted the chain, tightened a few assorted fasteners and gave things a general look see. He checked the engine management with his computer and turned the reminder off. I'd already changed the oil and filter.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Can't believe that question still comes up. :confused:

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.) and was enacted in 1975. It was passed to protect consumers from discriminatory warranty practices. It does little to protect those who opt to drink the Kool Aid. :wink2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think the key issue is that they require the mechanic to be a factory trained and certified for certain services otherwise it may void the warranty. When I brought my new 14 in for its first service, they discovered that the mandatory service bulletin on the throttle cable was not performed, and they repaired an oil leak around the timing chain. And they say that theymake sure your instrument panel has the latest update and software installed.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
$200 for the 600 miles service. If you use the recommended oil that's $80 all by itself. Add a filter and you're spending a hundred beans to do it yourself. So for another hundred bucks you get the bike checked over by the dealer... if you trust your dealer and think that having a relationship with them is of value then it's a no brainer imo.

If you don't trust your dealer then best of luck... I wouldn't own a Ducati if I didn't REALLY trust my dealer.

·
Hammer Down
1,666 Posts
I'm a guy who likes to do his own work but because I was in the middle of a move and my tools etc were packed up I decided to let my dealer handle it. I think I paid $175ish. I've bought several bikes and have had a relationship with them for a few years. Point being is that I trust them. For comparison, the Ducati/BMW dealer here in Atlanta wants $280 or so for a minor service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What are you guy's paying the Dealer to do the first service? Does it really need to be done by them or can we do it ourselves?
I heard that we can't reset the Oil Change light, is that true? If I can do it myself, I would prefer not to give the Dealer anymore of my money...:nerd:
I'm glad I went to the dealer to do the 600 miles service. After leaving my bike for service and other add ons I received an email from the service tech:
(during the oil change portion of the break-in service, a particular belly pan bolt was seized within its housing. – Our tech was forced to drill out the bolt in order to get the belly pan off to change the engine oil… Very odd, considering the part hasn’t been removed since its install at the factory.)

I owned several Ducatis and I ran into this many times. Bolts over tightened from factory as if they are using power tool without torque limits. Sometimes trying to save could end up costing more.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Wait. You had to get an email. Someone couldn't tell you that when you were there? I'm getting old. That just sucks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'm 2 hours drive from the dealer and had left the bike for some other work. They were letting me know that pick up time may change.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
$200 for the 600 miles service. If you use the recommended oil that's $80 all by itself. Add a filter and you're spending a hundred beans to do it yourself. So for another hundred bucks you get the bike checked over by the dealer... if you trust your dealer and think that having a relationship with them is of value then it's a no brainer imo.

If you don't trust your dealer then best of luck... I wouldn't own a Ducati if I didn't REALLY trust my dealer.
Everyone's situation is different. I'm well over 2 hrs from any Duc dealership that I might trust, so I don't really have much of a relationship with any of them. I'm just a guy from out of town who brings his bikes in once a year for servicing.

At any rate, I can do everything a dealer would do for a 600 mile service for about $50-$60 bucks and an hour or so of my time.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
I'm about 2.5hrs from my dealer... but the oil change interval is so long I'm only looking at a bit more than one trip a year which just gives me an excuse for a nice day trip into central PA (which has awesome roads for riding).

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
After years of saying I'd never own one, I eventually bought a trailer a few years back. Unless I have someone drive along with me, I can't ride the bike to the dealership for service, although I have done it in the past. That time I definitely wore out my welcome hanging around the dealership from opening until late in the afternoon waiting for them to complete a major service. I'm sure they got tired of watching me roam around trying on gear and kicking showroom tires all day long. So I trailer the bike to the dealer then pick it back up the following week, which is way too much bother for a 600 mile service.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I don,t really trust my dealer , I"ve had it in for 600 mile service and 1 recall ( throttle cable ) , both times things were loose , the 600 mile service my rear caliper was damn near ready to fall off the bolts were so loose , told them about it , they apologized , then 2 yrs later the new housing around the throttle cable was loose right after replacement , called them up again , they apologized again , same mechanic , when I get the valves checked and belts replaced , I will either do it myself or take to a different dealership that USED to be the Ducati dealer ( in Calgary we only have 1 official Ducati dealership even though there are 1.2 million people ) . Just so you know Tuneboy software allows oil and Desmo service resets .

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think the key issue is that they require the mechanic to be a factory trained and certified for certain services otherwise it may void the warranty. When I brought my new 14 in for its first service, they discovered that the mandatory service bulletin on the throttle cable was not performed, and they repaired an oil leak around the timing chain. And they say that theymake sure your instrument panel has the latest update and software installed.
You can try to rationalize your choices all day long but that doesn't make them correct. The statute is explicit and does not require specify factory trained mechanics.

As regards mandatory service bulletins, Ducati is obligated to notify you of those.

I fully understand some people not wanting/caring to do their own service for various reasons and support their choice. But voiding the factory warranty is not justification for that choice.

·
Premium Member
1,877 Posts
When you buy a new bike, part of the money the dealer gets for scheduled service work is commonly referred to as "bribery". You have a $20,000+ motorcycle and if anything goes wrong with that bike you WILL be expecting the dealer to fight with the factory for as many warranty related repairs as come up.
If you don't want to pay the "fee", buy used and do the work yourself.
We are sort of lucky here in the states in that we have a law that says if we document service work the manufacturer / dealer can't automatically reject a warranty claim. But that law doesn't mean diddly if they don't fight for you and just repeat what the manufacturer says.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts