Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that my bike has some scuff marks on the frame's L/H side, right above the chain. I noticed this when I was washing my bike, a day after I got it serviced. I'm wondering if there is any reason for the mechanic to work on this side of the bike for the 600 mile service. Although I do have an oil leak, which is on the R/H side which needs to get repaired under warranty. But he may have taken off some of the covers on the L/H side as well to fully inspect where the leak was coming from. I've owned the bike for one week, and I know this was not there when I took delivery of the bike. I would have definitely noticed it upon delivery because the scuff mark is near the auxiliary power outlet that we went over during the pre-inspection. If it was damaged during the service, I'm more upset that it was not disclosed at all, rather than informing me that a minor mishap happened.

Shame on me for not inspecting the bike upon taking delivery after the 600 mile service. But again, wouldn't the dealer note that there is scuff marks upon receiving the bike too?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Had stuff like this happen on a few bikes. Just plain carelessness. Really sucks. I would definitely say something. They might give you a discount or something, but it's kind of doubtful.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Damage.

Make them repair that immediately.
I'd be all over them and it would have never left their shop.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
I can't think of any reason a tech would be down there with a tool or whatever for the 600mi service. Hard to tell from the pic, is it a scuff in the paint, or a scrape in the aluminum?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I'm thinking bike on bike contact moving them around. Had that happen to one of my Harleys.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can't think of any reason a tech would be down there with a tool or whatever for the 600mi service. Hard to tell from the pic, is it a scuff in the paint, or a scrape in the aluminum?
That's what I need to confirm,at this point of being a brand new owner of a MTS, I have no clue on how to even go about changing the oil or oil filter. Like I had mentioned, he did have at least one side of the engine casing off to look where the leak was coming from. I did see a smaller chain, it wasn't the main drive chain. I viewed it personally as they took me into the shop to show me, but I never went around to the other side of the bike to see if he had removed anything from the other side. Or maybe it was indeed that side, I just can't remember. But they said they took pictures of where the leak was coming from for them to send into Ducati. Speaking of pictures, I took several pictures of my bike when it was still in the showroom just prior me riding it out of the dealership and it appears that scuff was not there. I'm almost 100% positive that it happened at the shop, but I leave that 2% uncertainty to vandalism. Couldn't be from my boots, I wear my riding pants over my boots.

I did ask if he was a Ducati mechanic and he mentioned no. He said he use to be certified but no longer is. The certified guy was not in. I don't understand why they would schedule me in for a mandatory service on a day the Duc mechanic is off. I understand it's just an oil change, but it was more than that because of the leak and the Service Bulletin.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Looks like that bike fell over or something fell into it. The shock spring is also scuffed. That is some tough paint to chip too. My race bike never had a chip in the paint on the spring after 3 years of racing. No reason a bike with 600 miles should have it either.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It does appear your bike was leaned partially on that side, maybe the mechanic caught it in time.
Its definitely something the shop needs to be made aware of.
Don't be shy or scared, its also a good opportinity to see who you are dealing with, the type of attitude.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Something got rammed into it pretty good to gouge the aluminum like that. That wasn't an "oops" that was an "oh shit"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts