Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this website and I have a maintance question, so here it goes. I bought my 2007 ST3s new almost 2 years ago and I just hit 600 mi (I know I need to ride it more), but my question is what should I have done at this service interval. Some dealers say just change the oil, brake fluids, Hyd. clutch fluids and others say to change the anti-freeze and others say all that and the engine belt. Estimates range from $260.00 to $900.00. Do I follow the 600mi maintance or do the 2 year maintance?

JDesmo

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
At 2 years you are due for an oil change, and belt (2yrs- 15K), other fluids probably need a look at the least. So I would say that the estimates that you have received are probaby about right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Butch for your candid response. I just wanted to know that the dealers were not not trying to take advantage. Pure Ducati in Ft. Laud. said the same as you and were in the $650.00 range for those services. Looks like I wll be taking my bike to them!
J.D.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
J Desmo,
I am here in Tampa. I recommend a phone call or two. LT Snyder will be down here next week, and although he doesn;t post here, I'd be happy to ask him your post on your behalf. My cut is have the guys over at Ducati Tampa (Gunn hwy) do the 600 Svc, change coolant (water wetter)...no belt change.
PM if you want to discuss by phone.

·
Premium Member
6,919 Posts
J Desmo,
I am here in Tampa. I recommend a phone call or two. LT Snyder will be down here next week, and although he doesn;t post here, I'd be happy to ask him your post on your behalf. My cut is have the guys over at Ducati Tampa (Gunn hwy) do the 600 Svc, change coolant (water wetter)...no belt change.
PM if you want to discuss by phone.
Why wouldn't you do the belts? Are they part of the two year service?

Just interested because my ST2 at 28,000kms and is due for belts @ 30,000, but time wise they where last done in 2006 @ 20,000kms.

Are the newer kevlar belts more reliable? Is that your reasoning or something else?

Thanks,

Craig

J

·
0 Posts
he has 600miles on it not 6000,vinnies right,an oil change and full safety inspection is plenty good .

·
Registered
41 Posts
what about mine?

he has 600miles on it not 6000,vinnies right,an oil change and full safety inspection is plenty good .
Okay, what about my 2005 ST3 with 600 miles? Is the consensus that the belts require changing? I bought the parts and am planning to do it, but I thought I would get other opinions.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
05 with 600miles!!

I bought my 03 ST4s in 06 with 400 miles. I did another 700 miles and checked the belts. One had started shredding but apart from that they both looked new.

I counted myself lucky that I chose to change the belts due to the fact that the bike must have sat around with no use.

I read somewhere that if you leave it sitting for 3 months without starting or turning over ...change the belts:eek:

Been meaning to ask LT Snyder how long he lets his bikes sit there with no use...he has a lot of them!!

But theres plenty of threads on belt life!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for your opinions. Just for the record, I start and ride the bike at least once a month (even if I just ride a few laps around my neighborhood). I just don't always go for a long ride, especially when it is HOT during the summer months here in Florida, but the Duc gets started regularly.

By the way who is LT Synder?

JDesmo

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I would certainly "inspect" the current belts...if frayed, dry rotted, or improperly adjusted, be sure to correct...Are you under warranty? What did the Ducati dealer's service manager say as it relates to warranty if any?
If not under warranty or not concerned about that and visual inspection and adjustment are fine, I would not replace them.
Do what your you are comfortable with doing. Caveat emptor.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
My first thought "Sell It" and let somebody else make the decision , keeping this type of bike for the usage its getting is just crazy....Why ???

Second thoughts are:- why change the coolant / oil / filter - provide you have made sure the engine was fully warm each time it was started then none of these items should have deteriated in 600 miles or 2 years......

Belts , now thats a different matter because of the possible outcome resulting from your choice of action !

If it has HONESTLY not sat for lengthy periods of time (e.g. 6 months+) , and you suggest you have ridden it monthly , then the belts "Should" be fine but if you have any doubts then change them because the worry of an expensive engine rebuild will kill you !

Get outta there and ride LOL

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I am another who sits on the fence when it comes to belt replacement and wonder if there is a definitive answer on this. I know of many Duc owners that have a stable of bikes. They generally sit in heated climate controlled storage and some of them don't get many miles put on them. If your bike is stored and ridden regularly (sometimes sitting 3 or 4 months at a time (we do have winter in Canada) do you need to replace the belts every two years if the bike hasn't had many miles put on it since the last service. I appreciate opinions. Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks to all that answered, Like I said in and earlier post I will have the belts checked and replaced.
Thanks,
JDesmo

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well my bike 600 mile bike has sat for 4+ years aside from the recent 100 miles I have put on it. So I'll do the belts, and I have ordered all new coolant hoses as well. As soon as the engine turning tool arrives I'll tear into and replace the belts. Mights as well check the valves clearances too. Love the bike by the way!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts