Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread i started asking about importing a bimota there is a yb8 in japan that has a 6spd trans instead of the 5spd. Does any one know how hard it is to switch between the 5 and 6 spd trans? do they have different cases, bearings, etc?

·
Registered
87 Posts
In another thread i started asking about importing a bimota there is a yb8 in japan that has a 6spd trans instead of the 5spd. Does any one know how hard it is to switch between the 5 and 6 spd trans? do they have different cases, bearings, etc?
I converted my YB10 to 6 speed. OWO1 trans works if you want close ratio as well as the yzf750 I believe. No case mods. You can get the (KIT)tanny's for under 1K now. Only down side is they are not as tough as the 5 speed. I started the process because I wanted 6 gears like all my other bikes, then it went out of control. Since the case was split, might as well do the crank. Then might as well do rods. Then pistons,cams,spring,porting, D-shaped exhaust ports, clutch hub, studs,cable clutch and so on. Be careful it's only the tranny you want :) Engine mods in 1994 were $12K. That didn't include flatslides, exhaust, bigger radiator etc. But 172HP at the wheel and 422lb wet weight was pretty awesome 16 years ago.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I converted my YB10 to 6 speed. OWO1 trans works if you want close ratio as well as the yzf750 I believe. No case mods. You can get the (KIT)tanny's for under 1K now. Only down side is they are not as tough as the 5 speed. I started the process because I wanted 6 gears like all my other bikes, then it went out of control. Since the case was split, might as well do the crank. Then might as well do rods. Then pistons,cams,spring,porting, D-shaped exhaust ports, clutch hub, studs,cable clutch and so on. Be careful it's only the tranny you want :) Engine mods in 1994 were $12K. That didn't include flatslides, exhaust, bigger radiator etc. But 172HP at the wheel and 422lb wet weight was pretty awesome 16 years ago.
Yeah, I get into the 'well, since I have X open, I might as well do Y' scene myself from time to time. As Everet Dirksen once said, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon you are talking real money." Also, remember the sign outside the speed shop in the first Mad Max movie? "How fast do you want to go? How much money do you have?"

Yep, been there, done that too many times myself. Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts