Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the above figure off the Ducati website. The 749 is listed at 116HP while the 749R is at 121HP. I'm sure this is at the crank and not rear wheel. Anyone have the rear wheel figures? Seems like not much power difference between the two, big difference in price though.

Is the 749 fast enough? I have a 916 and its kind of fast enough. If the 749 has more HP than the 916 then I suppose I would be happy with it. There are probably differences in power delivery, I'm looking at it from a drag race power point of view at this time.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
"Got the above figure off the Ducati website. The 749 is listed at 116HP while the 749R is at 121HP. I'm sure this is at the crank and not rear wheel. Anyone have the rear wheel figures? Seems like not much power difference between the two, big difference in price though."

All the dyno numbers are at the crank, not rear wheel. For rear wheel dyno numbers, check out Sigma, Veetwo, Fox Performance and Lofgren's site. The R is a lot more money and bling factor (see below), If you dont want bling. You could bump a base 749 over a R with the money you save between the two. Some head work, big bore pistons, etc... All depends what you want to do. There is no replacement for displacement and its only money. The 916 you are coming from is similar to a 748 with the case and barrels. A little difference in the tranny and rev nature. Im sure you know the 7 series is known for its high rev nature. You will get that nature in a 748/749 even more with a R series.
The 749R you are paying for:

CF bodywork
Head work
Mag Heads (I could be wrong)
Full Ohlins

Old body style Desmo 748 runs:
748cc with a bore of 88mm/61.5mm stroke @ 11.5:1 compression

The base 749 runs with:
748cc with a bore of 90mm/58.8mm stroke @ 11.7:1 compression

The 749R runs with:
749cc with a bore of 94mm/54mm stroke @12.7:1 compression

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
There are alot more diffrences in the engine then only compression. The R runs diffrent cams and has titanium connector rods and a balanced crank.

Here is the diffrence
The graph below shows all std 749R in green, all std 749 in red and a 749S '04 with asymmetrical Termi power kit (the cheap one) in blue
POWER (REAR WHEEL)

Torque (REAR WHEEL)

And a 4:th gear run that REALLY shows the diffrence. (REARWHEEL) since the 3:rd gear seemed to be slipping some on the R in the above 2 graphs

SOURCE: http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/749rbase.html

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Couple things to clear up guys...the 749 is 108hp. The "S" is 116. Little difference there also. AND, no more CF body work on the R. '04 was the last year of that. '05 went back to plastic. I have an S and made 112 hp/56ft.lbs. at the wheel with full exhaust and PCIII w/custom map.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone, excellent info.

Galaxy, with your ad ons your bike is doing 112RWHP? That to me is enough power when I relate it to my 916 and 600RR (before I wrecked it). I have a feeling though my 05 600RR Honda would pull an 05 749S in the straights. Mine had the full system and power commander too. I say that because of some non scientific drag racing at the track against a variety of Ducatis. The Honda was an amazing machine powerwise in the upper RPMs. I know there is a power delivery difference between the two bikes, but I've heard a lot about the 749 not being fast enough. (in whos eyes?) My idea of fast enough as I said before is having a bike that is comparable to the 916's power or a little more actually. It would be great if the 749S can compete in the 600 class. I don't like the idea of getting passed on the straights by 600s. That stopped when I bought the Honda.

The looks of the newer Ducati Superbikes are starting to grow on me. I also like the red frame of the 05 models. Budget wise the 749S fits better than the base 999. I just want to make sure the power is acceptable.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The only reason why the official numbers show the 749R as 121hp is because the bike is restricted to pass emmission laws.

The 749R is meant to be run with a free-flowing exhaust, which takes crank hp to well over 130hp, and in the case of the installation of the Corse Kit, to crank hp of almost 150hp. --- This is only a few hp away from the power that the factory SuperSport bike ran by Lorenzo Lanzi puts out: 138hp to the WHEEL... These numbers will never be possibile on a regular 749. This is what you are paying for with the 749R (not just for exlusivity, Full Ohlins and lighter/forged Wheels).

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
The R has a completely different motor with a shorter stroke crank, Ti rods, Ti valves, different heads, slipper clutch, different frame, steering damper, swingarm, different suspension, brakes, wheels, gas tank, computer mapping... Two completely different bikes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
John said:
I'm looking at it from a drag race power point of view at this time.
From a drag racing point of view, I would think that torque curves would be an important consideration. The 749 would likely give up some torque to your 916.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Unless you think you won't get the temptation later on to add Ohlins this and that, slipper clutch, etc to a base 749 or 749S it's cheaper to start with the R most likely. It's more at the beginning, but if you get a 749S and then want Ohlins forks($2K), Ohlins shock($1K), whatever the slipper cost, engine work, etc, you will end up spending more than if you started with the R.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yes and no grendal.you could buy a 749 for $12,000.add ohlins,$3000 so total is 15.and when you want to sell you can still get 1800 for the forks and 700 for the shock.(avg sell price on ebay etc).and all will need exhaust .as far as the slipper,thats extra ,but i'm talking street here anyways.

·
Registered
929 Posts
John,

I had a 04 600rr and last year I took a ride on a dark 749 and the 600rr is faster as long as your at 14k+ in every gear :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I bought the base dark so I could mod it the way I wanted and not have to try and sell off 'expensive' stock parts as they where replaced.

·
Premium Member
8,727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hunduc said:
John,

I had a 04 600rr and last year I took a ride on a dark 749 and the 600rr is faster as long as your at 14k+ in every gear :)

I realize the power comes on at higher RPMs with the 600. The 05 600rr was an improved bike over the 04, much improved. Coupled with a full system Yoshimura and a Power Commander, the bike hit its power at around 7K and wouldn't let up . The thing was impressive, especially for a 599cc motor.

·
Registered
69 Posts
MikeM said:
The R has a completely different motor with a shorter stroke crank, Ti rods, Ti valves, different heads, slipper clutch, different frame, steering damper, swingarm, different suspension, brakes, wheels, gas tank, computer mapping... Two completely different bikes.
While I agree the 749R is a completely different animal from the balance of 749 lineup, the frame is identical to std and S versions, the Dark lacks the adjustable rake and steering damper fitting. The swingarms are identical among all versions of 749/999 for '06, in '05 the 749 Dark still used the older swingarm. Some of the upgrades may not seem that 'value-added' given the big price differential to the 749R but the fork, slipper clutch and reduced rotating mass in engine are VERY noticable on the track where the 749R is ideally suited. That bike is Ducati's ultimate track weapon.

For a street bike w/limited track usage the 749S is a fine bike. Maybe a dyno only shows 8hp increase over std/Dark at WOT, in practical terms, the std and dark motor feels like a dog compared to an '04 and later S bike with its hotter cams. Take care

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
bigmac said:
the std and dark motor feels like a dog compared to an '04 and later S bike with its hotter cams. Take care

I wouldn't be too sure about that one. I've seen some dyno runs plenty of times where a dark/std 749 made a noticeable bit more torque in the lower through mid range areas. Yes the S will kick it in later, but...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts