Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I went to visit a good friend of mine 280km from my house this weekend, and thought, this is my chance to make my first long trip on my Superlight from 1996. It was extremely hot in the Spanish summer sun.

1. Engine Temp
Even when driving at 120 km/h, at about 5k rpm in 5th, the temp was quite stable at about 110-115C. The air temp was about 35-38C in the shade, but I was driving with the baking sun making me sweat like a pig!
I take it this engine temp is normal?

2. Seat/Suspension
I am 42, and after 45min on the bike I start suffering. My ass was completely destroyed from the seat being too hard, and literally had to stop!! Will it help adjusting the suspension?
I've read a few threads related to this issue. I am planning another road trip in September, so I need to do something. Maybe a Corbin (too expensive) or a Tourtecs cushion?

Apart from these points, the bike is just wonderful. Incredibly stable on the road, feels very strong. The sound is fantastic. We are lucky we can enjoy these machines!!

I attach a couple of pictures on the way, and back, via Ronda, Spain.

Thanks for your comments.
Regards,
/R

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sounds like a great trip. it's remarkable what excellent sport tourers a carby SS can be. Just another reason to love these bikes.
My '92 doesn't have a temp gauge but I have many 350+ miles days out here in New Mexico, Utah and Texas at 90-100 degrees running in the 5K range for hours on end without issue. I don't think you have anything to worry about there.
I've got a few years on you and a Sargent seat made a huge difference in comfort for me.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
A better seat is the key. And I'd advise to not scrimp on that. Get the Sargent, or Corbin, or whatever is best for you. I had a Corbin on my Monster for about 90K miles, but I never really liked it. I am pretty likely to try a Sargent for my next seat.

There are areas in life where you can cut corners and save money, and there are areas where it really is worth it to not do that. Don't buy cheap tires. Don't buy cheap shoes. Don't buy cheap seats. Don't get too thrifty with anything your life or health depends on.

PhilB

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Until you get the nice seat, ask a bicycle guy to help you find the best riding shorts to wear under your jeans. A well made 10 panel with the highest quality chamois is what I recommend.

As for the heat, well, get a tank bag instead of the back pack, that will help a lot. mesh jackets too, if that isn't what you are wearing in those pics.

Great looking bike, one of my favorites

·
Registered
289 Posts
1. Engine Temp
Even when driving at 120 km/h, at about 5k rpm in 5th, the temp was quite stable at about 110-115C. The air temp was about 35-38C in the shade, but I was driving with the baking sun making me sweat like a pig!
Very nice bike, looks almost identical to mine, except that mine is an SP with a SL tail.
A few days back, I rode ~100miles in hot weather, right around 32C, very sunny. On the way out my temp stayed right at 100C, moving to 110C or so when stopped. On the way back it never quite got up to 110C, but that was mostly downhill with a very strong headwind.

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
1. Engine Temp

2. Seat/Suspension
I am 42, and after 45min on the bike I start suffering. My ass was completely destroyed from the seat being too hard, and literally had to stop!! Will it help adjusting the suspension?
I've read a few threads related to this issue. I am planning another road trip in September, so I need to do something. Maybe a Corbin (too expensive) or a Tourtecs cushion?
1/. My 900 runs to around 110-120 on hot (though here, that's mid to high 20's) days here, so yours sounds OK re the temp. Plus, that's me on a back road, so not just cruising.

2/. Things that improved my ride comfort - was a lambskin (NOT sheepskin), as the lambskin fleece is denser, and doesn't flatten out so much - plus it's smaller, so fits better. I can do 800kms in a days ride, with not too much discomfort. 500 kms is easy. Upgrading my rear shock to an Ohlins was also a big comfort boost - even though the spring rates are fairly similar, the Ohlins damping just works so much better. I find I can do 300 kms without the lambskin (comfortable), 500 kms without (but getting a bit uncomfortable), 500kms with the lambskin (comfortable), and 800-100kms with (but I feel it after).

BTW - I'm 55... ;)

Loaded up for a long haul...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,885 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again for your comments. Steveb64, I laughed a lot with your lambskin suggestion. It would surely make an impression!!!

Also, I appreciate the suggestion of bicycle riding shorts RockAZ. Really worth a try before getting a more permanent solution. I don't take long trips often, so maybe I can survive with this idea.

Have a great weekend!
/R

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Thanks again for your comments. Steveb64, I laughed a lot with your lambskin suggestion. It would surely make an impression!!!

Also, I appreciate the suggestion of bicycle riding shorts RockAZ. Really worth a try before getting a more permanent solution. I don't take long trips often, so maybe I can survive with this idea.

Have a great weekend!
/R
I can guarantee that the lambskin will stop the seat making an impression! :) I bought mine in NZ - well, friends did, and brought it (well, them - my partner - now wife got one too) up to Europe where we bought our bikes (new, in '95/6), and we did 15,000kms in 9 weeks, riding from the UK, down through France, Spain, Portugal, back into Spain (across the middle), up to Andorra, then Austria, then back to the UK, then to the IOM, then around the top of the UK before selling the missus' bike, and shipping my Duc back to NZ. Same lambskin in the pic I posted.

One question - how tall are you? I'm near 6 ft - 180cm, so when I'm sitting on my seat, my legs are pretty much level with the seat base, so it doesn't dig in anywhere - I sit more on my under thigh muscles than my butt muscles. I found my Duc was more comfortable then the missus RF900, as with it, my feet were too far forward, and I ended up sitting on my butt muscles, which got kinda sore, pretty quickly. Looking at your pictures, it looks like you may have a similar problem with your SL (you look a bit shorter than me). Maybe some rearsets (adjustable, so you can raise the footpeg height a bit) could help? Ideally, you want them so your feet are still under you, so you can lift your butt off the seat when needed - but higher then the OEM pegs, for shorter legs.

And cheers for the weekend thoughts - but we're in mid winter here, and not nice weather forecast this weekend. So no riding - but hopefully, still a good weekend. ;) Have a good one yourself!

BTW - one of the bonus's of using a lambskin on the seat - is if you're camping on the way - it makes for a great under pad for the sleeping bag! :D :sleep:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Steveb64,

Nice to get feedback from NZ!
Sorry for the late reply. I am on holiday in Sweden, and try to disconnect from the internet.

15.000 km in 9 weeks... Well done!! It seems I need a lot of practice to catch up.

I am exactly your size, 180cm. My legs feel a little high on the bike. The seat on the SL is rather square, so all the support is concentrated on a small area of the bum.

Hope winter isn't too tough! I am enjoying 17C in Sweden, which is rather nice after the hot Spanish sun.

Take care
/R

·
Premium Member
2,496 Posts
Hi Steveb64,

Nice to get feedback from NZ!
Sorry for the late reply. I am on holiday in Sweden, and try to disconnect from the internet.

15.000 km in 9 weeks... Well done!! It seems I need a lot of practice to catch up.

I am exactly your size, 180cm. My legs feel a little high on the bike. The seat on the SL is rather square, so all the support is concentrated on a small area of the bum.

Hope winter isn't too tough! I am enjoying 17C in Sweden, which is rather nice after the hot Spanish sun.

Take care
/R
I can relate to no internet while on holiday! :)

Maybe your legs are a little longer than mine, as I find I sit with my thigh muscles lying along the seat, so I'm sitting more on my thighs than my bum - as opposed to my wifes bike (in Europe) - an RF900 - it had my feet way too far forward, which really did mean I was sitting on my bum - and unable to lift it off the seat when I wanted. Sore butt in about an hour... Maybe try sitting with your feet further back on the pegs, so the balls of your feet (or your toes) are on the pegs, rather than the arch (middle) of your foot?

As for winter - not too bad here - 20C the other day. Pretty good for mid-winter. However - it's caught up with us the last couple of days - highs of 11-13C. It's actually been warmer than usual - but wetter too. A lot of local (rural) folk I've spoken with recently, have ALL commented on how wet this winter has been. Good for the critters (plenty of feed), but the downside is that we're wading in mud anytime we step onto the paddocks. Haha - and the hot Spanish sun is why we did our ride through Europe in April/May. Sadly, being too hot was never a problem - it was a very late spring that year (96)...

If you're still in Sweden - get some gravlax (cured salmon), and combine it with vodka shots... Vodka (Absolut is one of the best - chilled in a freezer) shot, followed by a chunk of gravlax (kills the Vodka flavour/taste). With friends is a good idea... ;)

Have a good one!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Steveb64,

I will try that.

Gravlax is a must. You are right. Vodka is also possible, but tonight we have some Akvavit and beer with the shrimps!!

Take care,
R

1 - 15 of 15 Posts