Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm afraid this may be a very stupid question, but I have tried searching for it a couple of days now. On my 1999 996, between 50 and 60 mph, 55 is marked in red. What does this mean?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'll take a guess and say that Italians think that the speed limit in the USA is 55mph and that they'll get sued by someone who says that the bike didn't give them adequate warning that they were exceeding the speed limit.

So they made it nice and visible.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
The USA's federal speed limit of 55mph ended in 1995. It's likely the speedo on your '99 was designed with that law in mind; OR, even though the law had ended, that mark was still there as a suggestion.

·
comrade moderator
26,974 Posts
It was likely designed and perhaps even made before 1995 and Ducati had a crap load of them in the wharehouse to be used up.

You're the 17 year old with the 996, right? This 55mph silliness was before your time...Gawd, do I feel old.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Wasn't exciting enough to try to remember, but yes, I remember "burying" the speedo and still being passed. :eek:

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hmmm...I wonder how many of you remember 85mph speedometers?
Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember. Had one on my 1980 CB750F, bought new in the Fall of ... Gulp... 1979 :eek:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts