Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking on oem parts section of ducatiomaha.com.

Found out that my bike takes part # 73740072A

But, that part number has been replaced by part # 73710051A and costs $54.99 EACH. MY GOD!

Is that "new" part number for the "new and improved" (red lettered) (Kevlar) belts I've read about? At $54.99 each, they better be. Man. $54.99. You think they'd throw in a free hat or a bowl of pasta!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You might want to check with some of the vendors listed here, Ducati Seattle, Moto Wheels .... $55 seems a bit steep for a belt, IMHO.

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
Yeah it sucks. I feel you.
The dollar is really suffering compaired to the euro. Premium italian bike. Premium italian prices.
Low volume exotic production means higher prices too.
High volume production and lower quality products ads up to lower prices.(Jap bikes)
When the dollar was strong. the europeans had to suffer when they wanted to buy any american products. Now it has turned around..........
I work for an italian company, whenever people try to special order parts from us and find out the cost they usually gulp and dig in and pay. Every now and then we get someone who raises a stink over it. but it does no good its the part that works on your bike if you need the part it will have to come from italy. It surprises me that a lot of people do not understand the nature of this.

·
Registered
536 Posts
55 bucks is a steal !!!!

oem belts for my '02 748 are 75 bucks each...no aftermarket parts exist...im thinking of slicing one belt in two to save some cash...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Is that "new" part number for the "new and improved" (red lettered) (Kevlar) belts I've read about? At $54.99 each, they better be. Man. $54.99. You think they'd throw in a free hat or a bowl of pasta!

After 10 years, I don't think the "red letter belts" can be called new anymore.

Premium italian bike. Premium italian prices.
Low volume exotic production means higher prices too.
The belts are Gates PowerGrip belts. They would be 1/3 the price if Gates could sell them through their dealer network. Ducati has some type of no compete clause with Gates. I have not seen the aftermarket 2V belts, it would be interesting to see if these are Gates belts, which may indicate that there was a time limit on the agreement. Perhaps the Desmoquattro belts will be available soon, if this is the case.

When the dollar was strong. the europeans had to suffer when they wanted to buy any american products....the part that works on your bike if you need the part it will have to come from italy. It surprises me that a lot of people do not understand the nature of this.

True, the dollar is weak, but...it's a freaking rubber drive belt. It's NOT made in Italy, and belts from the same manufacturer sell for a fraction of the cost through the manufacturers distribution network. It's price gouging, plain and simple.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After 10 years, I don't think the "red letter belts" can be called new anymore.
Hmmmmm, why does the parts manual on ducati.com say the belt needed for my 2001 750SS (7 years old) is part number 73740072A

.....and then ducatiomaha.com says that part number has been replaced by part number 73710051A?

If they've been out for 10 years as you say, then why does the "older" part number (73740072A) even exist?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Haha..if you're whining about a 55 dollar cam belt you better hope nothing serious goes wrong with your bike...them's the breaks of Ducati ownership...:D

·
Registered
268 Posts
Welcome to the world of Ducati ownership.

Dry your eyes my friend, there is a set on Fleabay right now. Brand new "RED LETTER" 3 days left....$20

·
Registered
268 Posts
My thoughts exactly, $1800 for a 40000 kay service and I still didn't feel the need to post a thread about it.
OUCH!

You guys need to service your own bikes. That alot of money that can be spent on beer/women.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Look at this way, you don't need to replace the belts until you start seeing a fair amount of wear. I know guys who were on the same belts for 20K before changing them. $108 is a tank of gas in a SUV or a full synthetic oil change in the car, so what is there to be upset about.

I view my bike like that credit card commercial:

Tank of gas--- $20(yea that's what it cost me here in San Diego)
Replacing the tires you worned out-----$350
THE BIG ASS GRIN ON YOUR FACE AS YOU ACCELERATE OUT OF THE CORNER TO THE MUSIC OF A BOOMING DESMO----------PRICELESS

Plus it is still cheaper than spending days looking for a cheaper alternative to save $10-$20.

Oh I forgot PEACE OF MIND.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I was looking on oem parts section of ducatiomaha.com.

Found out that my bike takes part # 73740072A

But, that part number has been replaced by part # 73710051A and costs $54.99 EACH. MY GOD!

That's a bargain in my world. My bikes belts cost close to double that. You are lucky! ;)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hmmmmm, why does the parts manual on ducati.com say the belt needed for my 2001 750SS (7 years old) is part number 73740072A

.....and then ducatiomaha.com says that part number has been replaced by part number 73710051A?

If they've been out for 10 years as you say, then why does the "older" part number (73740072A) even exist?

Because that same belt has been used on other bikes besides your 2001 750. My point is that I have owned my 900 SS-SP since 1997. The first belt change I did was in 1998, that is when I first heard the warning to use the "new red letter belts" I will not attempt to try and make any sense of what Ducati or any of their illustrious dealers do, other than offer that I seriously doubt that once a part number is supersceded, the factory can find and replace every single reference to the old number, at every dealership in the entire world. I'm just happy if I can get parts when I order them. I did have a parts counter employee at Corse Milwaukee get a little pissed when I refused the belts he handed me labelled 600/750 Monster. According to him, all the 2V motors use the same belts.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Howsabouts $110 for a single head gasket.......

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
there is a set on Fleabay right now. Brand new "RED LETTER" 3 days left....$20
I checked eBay. None were the part number I needed. But thanks VERY much for the heads-up!

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts
Hey I sell and install these belts (this is not an ad) you think it is frustrating on your end? testastretta belts are around $100 each! There are no known aftermarket belts for the newer bikes.
I try to keep services low so people can spend 4 more on riding or fun stuff but its tough when ducati wants every one to pony up $100-$200 every 2 years for belts.

You can get aftermarket square tooth belts for old 750's
you can get belts for 900's
you can get belts for non-drop cast head desmoquattros
thats it!
they are much cheaper than oem and though I have heard of one failure many are using them.

With ducati pricing heading nowhere but up maybe someone will now see that there is room to make some money and produce belts for the rest of the range.

Oh and I would run the pre 2001 round tooth 750 belts they are almost $20 less , while you can still order them.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts