Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can we Convert 530 sprocket chain Kit to 525 Aluminium kit on 2015 MST 1200S ? Reduces weight by 2 lbs ? Any other side effects ?

·
Registered
869 Posts
No real negatives, it'll just wear a little quicker.

I guess I really don't understand your obsession to lose all this weight on a bike like the Multistrada.

It's not a race bike, can you detect significant handling differences between a bike with a full tank of gas or near empty? Because that's pretty much what you are setting about to achieve.

The lightweight wheels will be you biggest performance gain, but only on fast, 70+ S bends, where they make transitioning side to side easier. But with that said, with the high and wide handlebars, that's not much of an issue on the Multistrada compared to a sports bike with clip-ons, you have way more leverage to make the bike turn quickly. You'll gain a bit better braking and acceleration, but the acceleration will be undetectable to you physically.

You should also be looking for a titanium front axle, replace all the rotor bolts and the caliper mount bolts with Ti and all the other steel bolts with Ti. You'll get about 3lbs saving for about another $1000.

You can get a Ti rear spring ($400) for your shock, that'll save another couple of lbs.

And of course, one of the biggest overlooked area is tires. There are large disparities in weight between different brands and these help in the same way the lightweight wheels do.

But with that said, much of the stability of the bike comes from the rotating mass of the wheels. With a bike like the Multistrada, having a fairly high center of gravity, removing some of that mass can lead to the bike showing tendencies of being a bit nervous at higher speeds.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I guess I really don't understand your obsession to lose all this weight on a bike like the Multistrada.
I'm glad someone finally said it! The OP is planning to spend a fortune on upgrades to add power and remove weight. When he's done with it all, he'll have a huge hole in his bank account... and a bike with the same power-to-weight ratio as an unmodified BMW S1000XR. Why bother? The only place you'll notice the changes are on a dyno or racetrack.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
Maybe because he enjoys modifying his bike and the challenge of trying to improve it. If you guys are so worried about money and what he doesn't need, maybe you should go back to riding cbr125s? they are cheap and who needs more than that, unless your on the dyno or track?. :think:

The original question, your right, drop a couple pounds at the expense of faster wear. In itself not a big deal but in combination with other items it begins to add up to significant improvements.

Reactions: Mitico and Reddydr

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any info on Lightweight Rear Hub Kit ?

AEM is the only Light weight Rear Hubkit + Titanium flange Or Do we have any other options?

·
Registered
665 Posts
The Multistrada is one of the last bikes I would ever consider installing an aluminum rear sprocket on. She's heavy and torquey and not nice to alloy teeth. With a lighter aftermarket steel sprocket you'll get at least twice the life compared to aluminum.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
AEM is the only Light weight Rear Hubkit + Titanium flange Or Do we have any other options?
Finally ordered
AEM rear Hubkit + Rear SICOM Brakedisc pad kit + Lightweight FrontSprocket With TitaniumLocknut +525 EK ZVX3 chain
+OZ GASS RS-A wheels + Earth-X lithium ion batter ETX -36D with CCA above 400,
+Akrapovic Headers +Slipons
Shall keep updating

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hoped you weighed it before and after with a full tank of gas, or better yet, with the tank totally empty to get a get a good delta.

Don't do an oil change between all this work as that could affect the results as well.

Reactions: Reddydr

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any Titanium RearAxle for MST

Any Titanium rear Axle available for MST ? Noticed that is the only bulkier part in the rear wheel hub assembly , As we could get all LIGHTWEIGHT Rear Hub assembly parts like Sicom Rear brake rotor ,titanium hardware ,Axle nuts etc ,
i couldnt notice Titanium Rear axle ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Didn't see a rear axle but this place sells a ti front one for our bikes. It's nearly $630. I hope you're loaded money-wise, this weight-loss undertaking isn't going to end up cheap by any means.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The front Axle is dead axle Where as Rear axle is Active & Should be Stronger ,heavier in transferring power & Braking from end to end ,I felt this shld make sense if We can find a titanium version ,
I like your concern on cautioning ,
Lucky I could Perfectly use the Difference money in selling my KTM1190 used for 2 years & Has lots of Fan following in India As there are only 2 bikes in India ( Imported personally into India, As KTM is not selling This Adventure bike ,Hence need to pay full Duty of 115%of the value =landed cost is 48k Us$ Sold for 36k Us$ ) & In buying This MST spent 30kUs $ Decided to spend 6k on performance upgrades on MST ,
And I enjoy while doing so , Workhard play hard ,
Merry Christmas friend

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
Spending money to increase performance, I'd start with the engine going with 1198 cams and pistons to get 25-30hp more, then drop weight with full exhaust, bst or magnesium rims aswell as getting rid of anything bolted on I didn't need.
2c

Reactions: Reddydr

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spending money to increase performance, I'd start with the engine going with 1198 cams and pistons to get 25-30hp more, then drop weight with full exhaust, bst or magnesium rims aswell as getting rid of anything bolted on I didn't need.
2c
As long as The Torque being maintained As it is , Worth while thinking of it .

·
Registered
237 Posts
As weight is a primary concern, the MultiS has been gaining weight since the liquid cooled model was introduced. Comparing the base models 2010 dry weight 416 lbs, 2013 dual plug @ 432, 2015 DVT @ 460. The "S" models add about 8 lbs. Wet weight on 2015 around 530 lbs. Difference between wet and dry including fuel, water, oil, battery maybe oil in the front shock for all I know. These weights are from Bikez.com, perhaps not the best source.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Took the AEM hub off my 2011 after the first sprocket wore out after only a few thousand miles. Looks great if you have a hanger queen though...

·
Super Moderator
8,217 Posts
As long as The Torque being maintained As it is , Worth while thinking of it .
More of everything across the entire range is what you get.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The only place you'll see that weight is on Ducati's scale. All the real-world reports I've read put the weight closer to 550 pounds...
You may be correct but what I was trying to say was if the OB wanted to save ~44 lbs at the get go, he should just buy an old one. More weight saved than the $6000 budget wil get him. But then it really is not all about weight is it? Wheeler in Robbinsvill NC has a dandy MC scale free. Maybe the guys going to the Spring Multistrada ride could stop by there and weigh the fleet. :think:

·
Registered
348 Posts
You may be correct but what I was trying to say was if the OB wanted to save ~44 lbs at the get go, he should just buy an old one.
550 - 516 = 34 pounds, assuming your 516-pound weight is a real-world number and not from a Ducati press release. Finding a used 2010 Multistrada in India might be difficult...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts