Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone have any thoughts on what might be long term issues with this? i have an m821 in that had a new chain and sprockets fitted by the previous owner before selling it, allegedly done 12,000km this way. nothing looks overly worn or unusual.

i'm having trouble thinking what might go wrong, apart from it just feeling wrong. not something i've ever tried myself.

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
I have seen it before also with no apparent issue, I can imagiine if the chain is aligned the only issue would be shorter sprocket life than the proper size sprocket. I have seen miss-aligned sprockets cause wear to transmissions but only in that the transmission is now being loaded differently so just like at original break in the metal will appear on the drain plug magnet and with enough miles/use it decreases and stops as it breaks in again.

I would think the greatest issue will be needing new components sooner than it should as the wrong components wear faster and the then worn components will speed up the wear of the correct mating components. just based on what I see the 520 sprockets should last about 25% less time than the 525 so at some point between 50% and 75% of sprocket life it will start beating up the 525 chain more. Then it is all down to care care of the chain and how the bike is ridden.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chain wear seemed very little for the km. he wants me to put a 520 on it, but i'm concerned that with sprockets that have done 12000km already, it's not a good idea. chain has so much side play that i don't think alignment would be a real issue.

bit of a dunno all round.

·
Registered
958 Posts
When I used to live in downtown Atlanta and had nowhere to work on my bike, I had a shop put on a new chain and sprockets on my 05 Thruxton. I rode it for a few years and when I finally went to replace it, I noticed the guy put on 525 sprockets and a 530 chain. I wouldn't recommend it but I never noticed any thing out of place. I do recall having to change it quite sooner than I thought it would've lasted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts