Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a 14t front sprocket on my bike. While I'm at it I thought why not add a nice gold chain. Then I thought maybe I should just convert the whole thing over to 520.

Anyone have experience on these bikes with this conversion? Does it make much difference? Can the 520 handle the torque output of these motors?

Thanks.

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
First, as a general rule, it’s better to increase the rear sprocket size to avoid the higher chain tension resulting from a smaller front sprocket. Changing from a 15 to a 14-tooth front sprocket will result in a seven percent higher chain tension.

Second, the heavier the bike, the higher the chain tension needed to make it wheelie and the higher the maximum chain tension it will experience. So, a 680 pound Streetfighter-plus-rider will generate a higher chain tension than (say) a lightweight Corsa-plus-jockey or even a Suzuki GS-X. When a chain under tension elongates 10 percent, it needs replacement - frequently for a Corsa bike.

Third, combining a change to a smaller front sprocket with a change from a 525 to a 520 chain on a higher-torque model Ducati will significantly weaken the final drive load capacity. Reports of chain failures are common enough, so it may not be wise to ignore this point for the sake of saving 275 grams of chain weight.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Why on earth would you want to go with a weaker chain than manufacturers recommendation on this bike?? I would think the horsepower/torque it's asking for problems.

Chris

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why on earth would you want to go with a weaker chain than manufacturers recommendation on this bike?? I would think the horsepower/torque it's asking for problems.

Chris
Thats why I'm posing the question ;)

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
Have done the 520 conversion so far on every Ducati I ever had, from 748 to Streefithter incl. 1098R , never had an issue and I bet you there are thousands of Ducati running out there that way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Im currently running 520 set ups on my 999R and 1198 with no problems. There are several 520 set ups that are stronger then stock parts.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Well , Renthal , DiD, Supersprox. All used by race teams so i assume they all run with 520 with no probs & they are kicking out close to 180 bhp

·
comrade moderator
26,842 Posts
Here's the thing about using race chains on the street: Race bikes generally only launch hard once or twice a weekend. Street bikes have to start from a dead stop many, many times. Starts from dead stop are the most stressful job a chain has to handle. Racing is generally very easy on chains. Street riding is not. Race teams slap on new chains all the time. Street bike chains are expected to last several years.

I see no plusses to dropping chain sizes on a street bike, only negatives.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
My mate actually went UP on his Gsxr 1000, looked like it should have an anchor on the end

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
What's the upside to doing this conversion, granted an incremental amount of loss of rotating mass but what's the benefit?

Why would ducati and aprilia fit fit 525 chains on their bikes if not needed? I'm just curious as I've really no understanding behind this so would like to hear.

Chris

·
Registered
45 Posts
Stock 525 vs. 520.... Use of a less expensive chain with simlar strength qualities but at the expense of weight. All the parts are adjusted for the bike to hit a total price point.

I will fit a 520 kit to my Street Fighter. Reduction in rotating and sprung weight (I'm guessing 2.5 to 4 lbs total reduction). Higher quality of chain, less friction, equal or better strength then stock.
Change in gearing.

I have changed every one of my sportbikes with stock 525 to 520 with favorible results.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

What's the upside to doing this conversion, granted an incremental amount of loss of rotating mass but what's the benefit?

Why would ducati and aprilia fit fit 525 chains on their bikes if not needed? I'm just curious as I've really no understanding behind this so would like to hear.

Chris

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Thanks for the explanation!
Chris

Stock 525 vs. 520.... Use of a less expensive chain with simlar strength qualities but at the expense of weight. All the parts are adjusted for the bike to hit a total price point.

I will fit a 520 kit to my Street Fighter. Reduction in rotating and sprung weight (I'm guessing 2.5 to 4 lbs total reduction). Higher quality of chain, less friction, equal or better strength then stock.
Change in gearing.

I have changed every one of my sportbikes with stock 525 to 520 with favorible results.

Cheers,

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

1 - 13 of 13 Posts