Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I ended up getting a 50mm full termi kit for 200 bucks from a guy on CL. The pipes that attach to the cans had some dents from his license plate/turn signal mount flinging in to the wheel. But nothing major.

Now I did get a "Ducati performance " chip from one of the former soviet block countries off eBay, after hearing I might have a "hole" in the power band around 5-6K. Being I spend most of my time there commuting in the freeway.... why be annoyed.

After I wrapped the pipes, I installed the kit. Pretty easy, per usual. I do need to align the cans a little better, but good enough for testing.

Out the gate she is louder..... almost, but not quite, Harley annoying loud. On the bike I hear the termi song, but nothing loud. But I get the impression that from behind/passing, she is barking.

Top end 6-9k seems to me, to be better. Cold idle sucks, and takes a few min before I can take the throttle off fast idle without it dying. Warm idle is around 900-1000.

I commute 76 miles a day on the 95 916. On the aftermarket 45/50 system I had before, stock tune, I got about 39mpg on average. So far after 2 days of riding, I get around 36 on this 50mm set up. But I have been riding it hard..... just to hear it... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I dont think that you will gain any thing at all with 50mm. They just creates holes but dont give any thing back to compensate for the holes. Stock or akrapovic 45/60 is the way to go.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Nice one, if you like the sound go for it. Might be worth getting a mate to do a ride by and follow behind him to be sure. Anyway if you don't get hassled by cops, why not.

Might be worth putting it on a dyno and checking your air fuel ratio, you may need a power commander.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
time for an update!

after installing the exhaust and the "new" chip, i noticed a few things.
1- she was a cold blooded monster. never seemed to ever warm up. even stuck in traffic (by cali standards)... i even checked the gauge to make sure it was not broken.. just never got above 140 ever... or even to it.

2- MPG dropped like a stone.... went from 40-44mpg, to 33-35 mpg. (way to rich)

3- sound is just epic. get compliments all the time. even had a bike cop work his was up to me at a light and comment on the bike and sound...

So i decide to try the stock chip... got my MPG back, she warms up like normal (and normal operating temp), and i noticed no holes, or lack of power. i do just commute on the bike (76 miles a day) , but it is all on the 91 and the 110 here in LA.... so no riding it "super hard"

Reactions: paulmm600

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
I have the 50mm's on my 748R... agree re. the sound. It is, quite simply, "a glorious noise". My youngest son described it as a sound that you can feel in your chest.

;)

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
You need to get that garbage wrap off the exhaust pipe, it kills them.
Am glad I'm not the only one who thinks that... That stuff is at home on a Honda CB350 or Triumph based cafe racer. It just looks ghastly on a Superbike IMO.

I did not want to get caught in that cycle of cleaning the pipes annually, so I disassembled the cans, and sent everything to Jet Hot for a Satin Silver Ceramic finish. That was in 2012... it has stood the test of time quite nicely, and retains most of the OEM look and feel, which is what I wanted.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jet hot is not a bad idea. The main reason I wrapped them was to hid some dents on the pipes just in front of the cans from the Precious owner (of the exhaust) . It is nice. It having my legs baked “as much”. But if I end up keeping her, jet hot for sure.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have a full 50mm from headers all the way through?

Me yes! Him, I’m guessing so :)

Reactions: leonlc

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Me yes! Him, I’m guessing so :)

I’m really interested in how they perform on your bikes. Did you guys lose much power lower down in the rev range compared to the 45mm? I am interested in getting a pair but was under the impression they were too big for a stock motor. I sold a magnificent pair of 52mm because of this.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
mine is a full system. i honestly did not feel much loss. but like i said, i commute, and do some twists.... on a track im sure there is some loss without a re tune.... but a half system, im sure you would not loose that much on the street.

·
Premium Member
5,726 Posts
I’m really interested in how they perform on your bikes. Did you guys lose much power lower down in the rev range compared to the 45mm? I am interested in getting a pair but was under the impression they were too big for a stock motor. I sold a magnificent pair of 52mm because of this.
Unfortunately I have nothing to compare it to... the original owner who I purchased the bike from put them on there along with a Factory Pro chip which apparently took care of some of the mapping problems with the OEM EPROM. It's nothing spectacular up to 4-5K where it just starts an almost 2 stroke like pull as far as I have taken it, about 9-10K.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,882 Posts
50mm is overkill, but not so much as to make a 916 unrideable by any means. I wouldn't lose sleep if it was already mounted. 50mm is plenty big enough for a testastretta 996R or a built 996 (SPS or similar spec).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts