Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

$500 S4R Project/Restomod

12519 Views 51 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  fastgas
Hi, I'm going to begin documenting the restomod process for my newest ultra-low-buck-chuck project bike here. I will, of course, be soliciting advice given that I have no experience with 4V ducati engines. Background: it runs, it cost $500, 6.xxx miles, gas tank is dented.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What a deal. Can't wait to see the progress you make on it! Do you plan to do a full tear down?
I haven't decided yet. This is definitely a rider-quality bike and I had intentions of initially restoring to a reliable, loaner-spec setup for visiting friends and family that I refuse access to my nicer bikes. The only obstacles to that are basic tires/valves/belts and this ding in the front rim:

I do have a number of hypermotard parts this bike will inherit where possible.

· Registered
2,297 Posts
Ouch. That’s a great deal though. I’ve been on the search for one in those exact colors for a reasonable price. $500…….far and away below the “reasonable” price range I set for myself.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ouch. That’s a great deal though. I’ve been on the search for one in those exact colors for a reasonable price. $500…….far and away below the “reasonable” price range I set for myself.
I have the wheel off and the bearings tapped out. There's a local wheel repair outfit that will make it as good as new. I originally wanted to replace these with something lighter and more contemporary but the white 5 spokes are absolutely perfect on this bike. So once the front is fixed I will submit both front and rear for fresh powdercoat and go from there.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'll give you $600 for it, and save you the trouble of fixing it up.
Too late. I've already started gathering bits for a tail chop, a pair of rearsets, a BMC filter/airbox hack tools, Luimoto seat cover, bar end mirror/signals, etc. I also nabbed this exhaust from the guy in Japan:

It has a little Patina and it was expensive however it should be considerably lighter than the OEM headers and breadbox collector! The Hypermotard has donated its old 14/41 gears and chain, drive flange, clutch slave, bars, billet pressure plate and cushless hub, rear rotor etc.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The wheel has been fully repaired:

The rear was checked and found to be completely true. I dropped both off for "ultra white over broken glass" powdercoat this morning:

The exhaust, Luimoto seat cover, Kbike clutch parts, rearsets, levers, tail chop/tidy, integrated rear light, bar end mirrors/turn signals, BMC air filter, and misc other bits all arrived while I was away. My hope is to have all of those items installed and ready once the wheels are complete in about 1 week. The new exhaust feels like it's going to save about 10lbs over what was left of the original system. I'm excited to install it but curious if I'll need to remove the rear shock to get to the rear header nuts.....

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The exhaust turned up. The can has a little more patina then I thought it would but it's fine and fits the spirit of the build

Did some airbox mods and prepared the BMC to be re oiled. I had an M750 in college that I hacked the entire rear 2/3 of the air box off and had trouble with debris getting in and sitting on the filter. Hopefully this helps and gives me some extra airflow:

The hypermotard donated it's "old" (1200 miles) 525 chain, 14/41 gearing, rotor, and drive flange. The rear sprocket was installed incorrectly and had about 5mm of lateral free play:

I'm planning a very clean tail chop, most likely going with the sawzall approach since I don't have the patience to use a pipe cutter!

I'd like to find a carbon hugger and fairing/windshield to finish things off. I originally hated this dented tank but I love the spirit of it!

· Registered
517 Posts
That’s a hell of a sweet deal! I restored an S4R two years ago over the summer. Super fun bike.

If you are looking for additional parts, I have an Ohlins DU333 rear shock(remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster), and a FG Gubilini carbon fiber steering damper. Shoot me a message if interested.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That’s a hell of a sweet deal! I restored an S4R two years ago over the summer. Super fun bike.

If you are looking for additional parts, I have an Ohlins DU333 rear shock(remote reservoir and remote preload adjuster), and a FG Gubilini carbon fiber steering damper. Shoot me a message if interested.
I'd love that shock, PM sent.

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Strong work so far. I just restored a 2004 S4R. Replaced everything except the frame, wiring, and swingarm. After months and miles of a shakedown, I'm pulling it apart for a proper build.
Thanks. I've not too far from having it broken down that far. I pulled the rear shock out and installed the new exhaust thanks to the extra room. The pipe slipped together beautifully but the can is far, far too large. I'm preparing to chop almost 8" out of it!

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Everything to the right of the blue tape is going bye-bye.

This thing is way too long and there's some damage in that area. This chop will eliminate most of it and this R&G guard will cover the rest:

· Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Ohlins is on. The hose is a little yellow'd so I'm working on a solution to cover it.

That dented tank got to me and pricing replacements ($2800 for Al, $2900 for an OEM) I opted to go with this $650 cover from the guy in Japan with all of the tasty parts. It should look nice with Stomp grip installed and some matte black vinyl applied over the strap area. I have a vinyl guy that is working on making a white over blue racing stripe to apply on the tank and headlight fairing to restore the original look.

Seat cover was ready to be collected this morning

1 - 20 of 52 Posts