Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm moving back to MA from VA. It's roughly 500 miles. The thought of loading the bike on a movers truck makes me ill. I'm tempted to just ride. Should I shoot myself now or let the ride kill me?

I can probably handle 100 mile stretches without too much trouble, which works out given the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
So I'm moving back to MA from VA. It's roughly 500 miles. The thought of loading the bike on a movers truck makes me ill. I'm tempted to just ride. Should I shoot myself now or let the ride kill me?

I can probably handle 100 mile stretches without too much trouble, which works out given the gas tank.
You can do it. I'm not a long distance rider myself so 500 would probably kill me too but I'd do it to avoid putting it on a moving truck... either that or I'd just put it on my trailer and tow it.

·
Registered
403 Posts
why not do an overnight and break it up into two days? Pick a back road route, eat some good food at a nice sit down place, have a martini or a nice glass of wine at dinnertime - if you want to kill yourself just getting from point A to point B - it may take away a little of the magic of the bike. Sometimes you need to stop and smell the exhaust fumes mate!
cheers, Martyn

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why not do an overnight and break it up into two days? Pick a back road route, eat some good food at a nice sit down place, have a martini or a nice glass of wine at dinnertime - if you want to kill yourself just getting from point A to point B - it may take away a little of the magic of the bike. Sometimes you need to stop and smell the exhaust fumes mate!
cheers, Martyn
It's a thought, I've just got a wife and two kids and a whole lot of shit to unpack, so I don't want to dally. That said, I'm sure they'd prefer I arrive alive and in semi-decent condition, so it may be a fair compromise :)

·
I Wear The Silver Badge
117 Posts
Going from VA to MA sucks, there's no way around it. God knows, I've done that more times than I'd like because of work....... and that's just driving.....80 miles an hour if traffic flows............ in a CVPI.......and it still rots.......

Riding, I'm guessing approx six stops at 10-15 minutes a whack, That's an hour plus to that 6-8 hour ride. Not really far enough to break it into two days unless you drink alot, or like hanging out. Because if you want to sight see, why not just drive home. Once you leave VA, all you'll want to do is get home.

When you get up here and get her off the truck, take her out for a spin..............What part of MA are you settling in?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Going from VA to MA sucks, there's no way around it. God knows, I've done that more times than I'd like because of work....... and that's just driving.....80 miles an hour if traffic flows............ in a CVPI.......and it still rots.......

Riding, I'm guessing approx six stops at 10-15 minutes a whack, That's an hour plus to that 6-8 hour ride. Not really far enough to break it into two days unless you drink alot, or like hanging out. Because if you want to sight see, why not just drive home. Once you leave VA, all you'll want to do is get home.

When you get up here and get her off the truck, take her out for a spin..............What part of MA are you settling in?
Yeah i know it sucks, I've been doing it for 10 years. I grew up in MA and ended up in VA after layovers in Cali, Italy and Ireland. So I'm finally going home, which is Wrentham. Think Foxboro stadium or gillette or whatever they call it these days (I still call it Sullivan!)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Very doable. I've done up to 413 mi. in one day now. Plan a backroad trip to avoid the slab especially New England slab, take a little more time and enjoy it. PA has some great roads, then cut east across NY and into New England. We will be doing another 3 day trip from NJ through NYS and maybe into VT before the season is out.

·
I Wear The Silver Badge
117 Posts
Yeah i know it sucks, I've been doing it for 10 years. I grew up in MA and ended up in VA after layovers in Cali, Italy and Ireland. So I'm finally going home, which is Wrentham. Think Foxboro stadium or gillette or whatever they call it these days (I still call it Sullivan!)
It's always nice to get home after some travellin'. My Dad grew up in Plainville, though he moved from there when he was young.

Do you mean Shaefer Stadium?? :D The site has now become Patriot's Place. and it's former parking lot is now Gillette Stadium.........

·
Registered
96 Posts
Welcome back to Mass

Greetings!

You did not mention which day of the week (Or I did not see it) you will be travelling back to New England.

I just did the NJ/Long Island trip for work and if your trip takes you though NYC I can speak first hand that the Hutch and the Merit were in great shape and there was little construction.

Plenty of gas stops on the merit (1 on the hutch) and nice roads on a weekend.

If you are looking for a more laid back route the saw mill or the taconic are usually good roads for a hyper, but I can not speak to the road conditions.

As for the PA Del/Mar/VA portion of the route, I am not that familiar with the roads, but from my experience, unless you are by the water gap the roads in jersey are pretty straight and flat.

If you are transiting the west part of jersey, I think the roads are spectacular in that neck of the woods.

I do a couple hundred miles on each saturday that I am not riding the XR in the woods and I have no issues except, wear good undergarments that do no pinch off or collect moisture. Riding posture is easily adjusted every 5 to 10 minutes and that makes my trips more pleasant and seems to prevent fatigue in my case

Have a safe trip.

Best regards,

Joe

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
Ask the Wifey and kids (how old) I think it is about the frame of mind more than anything.
Is there tension because of the move?
Are the kids excited about dad riding ?
What does the Wifey think ? Can she handle things without you?
Can you leave early and meet them there ready to unpack? And tell them to take their time and enjoy the ride?
Or is the move a big PITA and just get it over with?
Hope this helps .From an outsider looking in..
I say make it an Adventure all around for all... Good luck!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
500 mile day is an easy day. Granted I don't have a Hyper, but my SV is even more of a torture rack (clip ons, rear sets, naked and gets about 120 miles to the tank with flat slides).

I can recommend:

Wear some bicycle shorts (the ones with the chamois pad). Or atleast some wicking undies. NO JEANS. Unless that's all you have. Jeans are a simple way to ruin a long distance ride. They don't breathe. My perfect long distance set up is bicycle shorts, light weight columbia hiking/fishing/wicking long pants and then my Olympia mesh over pants. Plus a sprinkling of some Gold Bond on the men bits (or baby powder for your weaklings). The powder helps soak up the sweat that occurs from sitting on the seat.

I learned about the powder a long time ago...but put it to the test with my Buell. With the rear cylinder right there...it gets HOT.

·
Premium Member
12,387 Posts
Gold Bond , Corn Starch, (really cheap) Baby Powder all very affective against the Dreader Babboon Butt..

·
Registered
26 Posts
You need "Monkey Butt". Its actually a product you can buy in most motorcycle stores. It is a mixture of all the right powders to keep your bits fresh and sweat free.

·
Registered
179 Posts
500 in a day is a killer/tiring ride, you will get very tired and sored and won`t enjoy the last 250.
If you do it, 300 the first day, 200 the second day, will be fine if you stop 5-10 min. every hour to cool off your butt.
DON`T EVEN THINK ABOUT LONG HIGHWAY LEGS, then you will just waste your time and the rubber.
Plan riding along with your Family, your kids will see you as a hero and it will be an accomplishment and a challenge, ( just don`t make a mistake in front of them ).
WEAR BRIGHT COLOR clothing !!!! and a bright color helmet for safety.
I think the question has only one answer, but if you don`t feel 100%confident you can do it, then don`t because you are not 100% ready.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts