Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank seems to have spread about 1/2" in the 2 years since I bought the bike and it was really getting on my nerves. I shimmed the tank mounts a little but the idea of it spreading further was in the back of my mind. The slight sloppiness of the tank wasn't making me too happy either.

So, I've taken a pass at updating the mounts so they capture the tank. I don't think that this will draw the tank in, but I'm hoping it will prevent further spreading.

here's what I did:
  • I pulled the tank
  • I pulled the rubber pucks
  • I cut a 43mm long M6 stud from some bolts
  • put 2 nuts on the bolt and tighted them together so the remaining length matches the puck mounting bolt (this is so the stud doesn't bottom out and draw out the threaded insert in the tank)
  • pulled the puck capturing mounts, milled a ~10mm dia slot in them (10mm instead of 6 to minimize any lateral force on the stud when mounted)
  • remounted the pucks using my new studs
  • remounted the puck capturing mounts.. I left my 5mm thick spacers in place.
  • remounted the tank- take care- undue lateral force on the studs could cause them to be levered out
  • put a washer and nut on the stud and tightened down
  • it actually drew the tank in just a bit..
Initial thoughts:
  • amazing. I didn't realize how annoying a slightly moving tank was until i had something to compare it to.
  • still concerned that that threaded inserts in the tank will pull out but i haven't seen any indication yet. they're not meant to take pull force but there's really not much pull force on them
  • I'll update after a few hundred miles

Attachments

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more thought: i may add a rubber washer under the other washer.. just to totally isolate any kind of lateral force from the stud/washer/nut combo.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I just bent the brackets out a little and it took care of it...

but good work!

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I shimmed them to start about a year ago.. but still it seems like the tank continued to spread a little. I wanted to put a stop to that.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
There is a defect with the tank but it's your bike, your choice. I would prefer to see posts directing people to file a incident with the NHTSA (which I and many others have done.) I got my tank replaced by the dealer, and will have them replace it again if that one spreads until, they get the formulation of the tank material correct so it does not spread at all.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I like the idea of being able to remedy the problem so you can ride the bike. I like the approach of modifying the mounts. When we did the shims a year ago, it seemed that the mounting setup could've been improved. I think this answers the problem to a point, at least better than what Ducati has done. Even with all the documented problems and incidents filed, Ducati is not publicly admiting there is a problem. Can't blame 'em. This problems is not new to Ducati and not exclusive to Sport Classics. Duccadent: can you provide clearer pics, if it's not too late, of the mounts and studs and of your process? I have a new tank coming from Italy that is supposed to be able to handle out US fuel better, but I would also like to mount it using this method. Thanks!

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Thanks for posting that Ducadent.

Since Ducati has of yet not corrected the cause of the problem I've not pursued getting a replacement tank. Fixes such as your's are a good alternative.

My expanded tank is not a problem because I always have a strap-held tankbag on my bike. This may sound like a crude 'fix', but I rationalize it with the fact that early cars and bikes often used straps (OK they were leather, not nylon) ;-) to hold things in place.

BTW, I agree with DMCTRUBY that we should all put pressure on Ducati for a real solution. I've both written Ducati N.A. and filed an incident report with the NHTSA.

-don

·
Registered
900 Posts
Just get a new tank installed
To date, new tanks made prior to April '09 have not fixed the problem. If there is a method of modifying the mounts, I'm willing to try it along with the post 5/09 tank I have coming.
Thanks for posting that Ducadent.

Since Ducati has of yet not corrected the cause of the problem I've not pursued getting a replacement tank. Fixes such as your's are a good alternative.

My expanded tank is not a problem because I always have a strap-held tankbag on my bike. This may sound like a crude 'fix', but I rationalize it with the fact that early cars and bikes often used straps (OK they were leather, not nylon) ;-) to hold things in place.

BTW, I agree with DMCTRUBY that we should all put pressure on Ducati for a real solution. I've both written Ducati N.A. and filed an incident report with the NHTSA.

-don
I agree with keeping the pressure on Ducati and NHTSA. I was incident number 6 with them. How long and how much pressure will be needed? Who knows. I just like the premise of the thread that lets us continue to ride in relative safety until (if) Ducati reacts. I think they are doing something, as mentioned about the supoosed compound change in newer tanks coming to USA but they will not say anything because of liability. The tank I ordered for my '07 was superceeded with a "USA" sufix. I plan on running 100 octane racing fuel with not additives as much as possible. The metal tanks that are in the works may be a solution to the spreading issues, but you will need to seal and treat those tanks on a regular basis, probably. Even if the new tank I have coming does the same thing, the bike is so great that I'd probably shim, modify mounts, use tank bag straps, leather straps and bungee cords to keep riding it. Since this is no longer the dawn of internal combustion engines and motorcycles, you would think that issues like this could be avoided. Ducadent-please send me details on the mount mod!

·
Registered
714 Posts
Im a big fan of ingenius solutions to exsiting problems,but I sometimes find these type of fixes usally rear the ugly heads in some other way,but still a cool remedy,. KUDOS to you for thinking of it.we will all keep on eye on your fix.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, believe me. I'm all for free tanks and I'm on a the sticky thread complaining about it. However, I'm already out of my warrantee for mileage (no free tank there to my knowledge). Also. I've got a custom painted tank- I don't think Ducati North America is going to pay to paint my tank again even if they give me a free one. And finally, even with a new tank there's no guarantee it's not going to spread again. I haven't heard of any proof of any design changes and I also haven't seen any proof of any process or material changes to the new tanks.

So... unless someone has an option I haven't heard about, this is the best option I can think of. Actually I'm extremely pleased with it. Even with most new bikes on the showroom floor the tank rocks around a bit which is unsettling.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Hey, believe me. I'm all for free tanks and I'm on a the sticky thread complaining about it. However, I'm already out of my warrantee for mileage (no free tank there to my knowledge).
I believe the tank is covered under emission regulations so mileage is not a factor.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
hey ducadent - i've been thinking about making a modified mount setup for quite some time now - to do exactly what you figured out. i was thinking i'd need more strength to clamp directly to the frame as the tank puck-mounts seem a little flimsy to me, but your idea is brilliant. once again, simple beats over-thinking things...

my ideas were about trying to get a mount that captures the tank and allows you to actually torque it in place to draw in the tank and hold it there. i realize that if the tank is gonna deform, the stress will find another place to manifest, but like you my main concern is keeping the damn thing on the bike in case of an accident!

i'm very interested to hear your results over time.

of course we are all watching for a real, permanent warranty fix, but till then, kudos to you for thinking up a work-around :cool:

·
Registered
125 Posts
I believe the tank is covered under emission regulations so mileage is not a factor.
I was told by my dealer's service manager that there is no coverage under a "5 year emissions" warranty, but that Ducati was just providing good faith replacements. I am waiting for a new tank for my Paul Smart right now. He was a bit dissmissive when I brought up the emissions warranty.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok....I have had my tank rubbers on my desk now for 2 months....sort of waiting for some inspiration....and the seat upholsterer to finish my bloody solo seat pad.

Thanks....great idea.

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've attached a few cross sections to address the detail questions earlier in the thread. These also might help people to visualize what's going on.

Attachments

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've attached a few cross sections to address the detail questions earlier in the thread. These also might help people to visualize what's going on.
That's fucking brilliant. It's the same principle behind the dual gas tanks on the Gran Canyon that even though are acerbis made plastic, DON'T spread. I was trying to come up with something like that hadn't taken the tanks off so couldn't think of a way.

I'd bet you mucho $$$ it holds up without bending.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Not sure about the "fucking" but I think the graphs are brilliant :D:D

At least my limited brain can see what you were explaining above.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
900 Posts
See, I knew he was on to something. Thanks for the details ducadent. If GTRossi makes anything for this, I'll be a guinea pig. I just got my tank today from Ducati. It came out of the factory (Acerbis) 9/1/09. I'll be putting it on soon, but I'll only be running racing fuel in it. Once I pull the mounts and junk, I'm gonna give this mounting method a try. Can't hurt, and it just makes sense. The tank may show problems elsewhere, but I really think the mounts, coupled by our cocked up fuel in the States, factor into the issue. Thanks again for the detail. Well done!!!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts