Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to order a set of BST wheels for my 998 and need to make a decision on rear wheel width. My options are 5.75" or 6.0". Are there any benefits, besides better fitment of a 180 tire on the 5.75" and slightly lighter weight, of choosing one width over the other?

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Really the question should be, does the 190 react better in handling on the 6.0 wheel compared to the 180 on the 5.75 wheel?

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
6.0" is the way to go, and look at Dymag wheels, the rear single sided swingarm style are way better looking than a BST.

·
Registered
797 Posts
5.75" wheel

Different strokes.......

I bought a set of PVM's a few years ago for my 996sps and the rear is a 5.75" I could have got the 6.0" same price, yet using a 180 w/ a 5.75" works quite well and allows me to use all the tire, no slippy, great hook up, and I probably have about the same HP as your 998, 135RWHP.

A few other 748-998 boys up here in northern California, still use the 5.75" rim for their older style Ducs @ the track, yet if I was stuck at long/high speed tracks I might buy one, but for Sears Point/Thunder hill stuff I do, I have great "hook-up". And when riding on the street it costs a less for rubber......

Track-days/fast street riding and full racing are two different games.......

That's my 2 cents..

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the input! I ride primarily fast street/curvy backroads. I haven't done a track day or race yet, however I will in the (hopefully near) future. It sounds like most are suggesting the 6" wheel.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
You'll be happy with either wheel size.

Only the most experienced track riders can tell the difference and even then they all say the tire makes more difference than the width of the wheel.

-M

·
Registered
797 Posts
You'll be happy with either wheel size.

Only the most experienced track riders can tell the difference and even then they all say the tire makes more difference than the width of the wheel.

-M
Truer words could not be said.

You will be happy with either, except with the 5.75" you can run either a 180 or 190, if you buy a 6.0" you are stuck with a 190+ size rear. No real issue though, just a few more $$ for tires..... Most buy the 6.0" today, bigger is better, right? The BST rims are great no matter what size you buy.....Got to love those rims!!!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truer words could not be said.

You will be happy with either, except with the 5.75" you can run either a 180 or 190, if you buy a 6.0" you are stuck with a 190+ size rear. No real issue though, just a few more $$ for tires..... Most buy the 6.0" today, bigger is better, right? The BST rims are great no matter what size you buy.....Got to love those rims!!!
Thanks, that does put my mind at ease. But now I'm wondering if the $100 price difference between the two sizes is worth it? Also, what is the width of the stock wheel? 5.5" or 5.75"? I've seen two different numbers.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Thanks, that does put my mind at ease. But now I'm wondering if the $100 price difference between the two sizes is worth it? Also, what is the width of the stock wheel? 5.5" or 5.75"? I've seen two different numbers.
OEM stock wheels width = 5.5. Never seen an OEM 5.75 rim on a Duc. Could be wrong, but my 916, 748s, 996sps and the 999S all came with a 5.5"

·
Registered
797 Posts
Sorry I should have been more explicit. I've been told two different things.
Yeah, so.....What are you asking? There is the possibility that one of the persons you are talking to is incorrect, right???

If you do not believe me, call Motowheels. They only speak the truth, also. Martin @ Motowheels is a very savy/smart/intellegent Ducati expert on parts....

I've been playing/racing Ducs since I bought my 1993 888SPO, which also had a 5.5" rim, as well as my 916,748,996, 999S.........

There "could" have been special racing wheels that might of came on certain small production race-only bikes, but I've NEVER heard of them.....Anything is possible, not likely, but possible.....

M

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got the 5.75 BST on my 996 and have used both 180-55 and 190-50 tires at the track.
The 180 is lighter and turn in is easier but the 190 always gave me more confidence at full lean on the gas even though it's harder to finnish off the turn. Both work fine on a 5.75 wheel but I would decide what tire you want to use then choose the wheel width. The biggest difference I noticed was the 190 gives you more cornering clearance.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, so.....What are you asking? There is the possibility that one of the persons you are talking to is incorrect, right???

If you do not believe me, call Motowheels. They only speak the truth, also. Martin @ Motowheels is a very savy/smart/intellegent Ducati expert on parts....
Hahaha! Oh I believe you! I'm pretty sure that that the ONE guy who said 5.75" doesn't know what he's talking about.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts