Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for the next service. Going to replace the tensioner and idler roller bearings this time. I see the number people are using for these is 6003 2RS. A 17X35X10 double sealed bearing. Got a good deal at usabearingsandbelts.com for SKF brand. $6.87 each. Already ordered and on the way, so of course NOW I start thinking about what I really need!

ST4s parts manual seems to show one bearing per roller in the drawing. They say quantity 2 in the parts listing. I assume that is because there are two sets of rollers and a total of 4 bearings would be required to replace them all. The other problem is Ducati lists different part numbers for the fixed and movable rollers.

I'm over thinking, I know. Just wanted to verify that I need 4 total 6003 2RS bearings to rebuild all 4 rollers. Or, do I need 2 bearings per roller for a total of eight bearings? Are the tensioner and idler rollers usning the same 6003 2RS parts?

·
Registered
426 Posts
My 99 ST4 has only one bearing per roller and used 4 bearings. Tricky part was finding the right socket to press the new bearings in.
On my bike on the vertical Cly the stud that the eccentric turns on was just a whisker to long and i could not wiggle the unit out, I had to use an offset flare wrench to remove the stud and take out the whole stud and eccentric pulley as one.
I'm sure you know this but make sure when you press the eccentric in to the new bearings you have a socket on the inner race of the bearing you don't want to press load going through the rollers.
One the fixed units, they were tight on the stub shafts so warming up on the glass of a halogen lamp for 5 minutes helped them slide right on.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! That's what I wanted to hear. It would be no fun if I had to order 4 more bearings and pay shipping again!

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
Yes. Only one each.

44, getting the eccentric off is a bit tricky, but I've never had to remove the stud to do it. It takes a fair bit of wiggling. Of course, a bit of tolerance build up between the frame construction and the motor parts could cause a very different fit between two bikes.

One thing, I wouldn't shave anything off the end of the stud because on mine, the Fuji nuts only have about 1 thread to engage on.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Yes. Only one each.

44, getting the eccentric off is a bit tricky, but I've never had to remove the stud to do it. It takes a fair bit of wiggling. Of course, a bit of tolerance build up between the frame construction and the motor parts could cause a very different fit between two bikes.

One thing, I wouldn't shave anything off the end of the stud because on mine, the Fuji nuts only have about 1 thread to engage on.

Have a good one.
Correct theirs no meat there to shave so had to remove the stud. It was a PIA to get in behind the pulley and get a wrench on the stud. Had to find my long lost offset flare and then ran in to other bits so could not use it more then a 1/8 turn but by that time it was loose enough i could use regular wrench.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Works is done, but wanted to offer some feedback on bearings. I should have assumed this, as the PNs were different in manual, but... I ordered 4 of the same bearing. The fixed pulleys were the size I ordered. The eccentrics are different. I think I measure 37X20X10, but don't quote me on that! Good news is, all my bearings are good, so I didn’t replace any. Just cleaned everything up. In 6K, I'll have the correct bearings ready to go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts