Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies for the mild rant, I'm really trying to gauge if this is normal or not.

So this is my first Ducati, and I'm a little surprised at the realability, even going into the purchase I was expecting it to not be perfect. All of this has happened within the last month.

So far:
  • Moderate intermittent stumbling, sometimes just of idle, sometimes in the 4-6k rpm range, I've accepted this as 'normal' it's just annoying as it's only started in the past 100km or so
  • Spring holding the exhaust together disappeared one day while out riding
  • Occasional false neutral in 4-5 and 5-6 shifts
  • Today my rear brake packed it in, got to a client site today noticed the reservoir was empty, looked at the year brake and a nice pool of fluid forming next to the tire

The worst part about the brake failing... it happened at Harley Davidson Canada, so embarassing, haha :rolleyes: Fortuantely they only pointed and laughed at my 'typical Italian bike' for a couple of minutes.

All in all, kinda makes me want to sell the bike once the warranty is up... it's a shame because I love the ride, it's crazy addicting.

So is this par for the course or is my bike extra special?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS - I know it's not actually falling part, I'm just being overly dramatic :)

Also, any thoughts on how brake fluid could impact tire integrity? Aside from the initial safety concerns of the tire being slippery when wet, is there any chance that it would interact chemically degrading the tire? (I know brake fluid is murder to paint, not sure about tires)

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
Stumbling off the idle from 4-6000 rpm. My bike is in the shop right now for this same thing, and its turning into a witch hunt because I have an aftermarket ecu and tune system. Please let me know if you find out what that is. My bike went from running like a gem to completley unnacceptable within a few days because of this. (It was time coincident with high temps in L.A. and my radiator res getting low. Don't know if thag has anything to do with it.)

But regarding your post. Its sucks and I'm feeing the same pain ($$), but I wouldn't switch bikes. Wouldn't even think about it...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I won't address the stumbling, as it's been covered ad-nauseum here and elsewhere, but the other problems you describe are easily remedied and not likely to recur.

I'm trying to remember in 25 years of riding if I had a machine that didn't need something (or a few something's) every once in a while.....coming up empty right now.

I wouldn't think the brake fluid will have any long-term effect on your tire if you cleaned it up thoroughly and fairly quickly.......brake fluid gets on all kinds of tires pretty often in the real world.

I get too much enjoyment out of my Duc to let it go, the things that bother me about it quickly fade every time I throw a leg over.

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
wow those 848's must be junk :p
Agreed! I've lost a bolt/ 'screw' maybe and had to care for my bike from time to time...
The fluid loss is odd- anyone out to get you ?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow those 848's must be junk :p
Totally. I think I'm just gonna drop it on the side of the curb, with a 'free' sign on it... :D

I'm really just curious if this is 'normal' I don't really mind all that much (especially when I'm riding it), my previous bike I had for 4 times the kms (and had 25,000km total) only needed tires and fluids. I'm not expecting that reliability, but a 5000km interval between each defect wouldn't be asking too much to ask IMO...

The brake thing does scare me, because if the front had let go while I was riding I could be in much much worse shape. No one out to get me, in general I try my best to not be a dick in life. Plus rear did go while I was riding it as I noticed as soon as I turned the ignition off.

Fortunately I already had an appointment tomorrow for the shifting thing, so at least I don't have to wait 2 weeks to get an appointment with the dealer.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
I won't address the stumbling, as it's been covered ad-nauseum here and elsewhere...
I'm not talking about the standard lean fuel issues that people have to deal with at 3,000-5000 rpm when the bike is new. This is a new issue. For 7000mi the bike has run very well. Then within 2 hours of riding this new situation was fully developed. Once I'm already at speed but with throttle closed, then gradually opening throttle, like in the middle of a corner. It jerks and stumbles severly. 4-6000 rpm is worst.

If you know the thread with the answer I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've only been a Duc owner for a month now, and nothing has gone wrong with it in 1400 miles. And I love this thing...

I had my Street triple for 3 years and 18000 miles and the only thing that failed on it was the water pump and the r/r(and three flats in the first year, but that's not a manufacturers deal). Twas a fun bike, but I don't think I'll ever not own a Duc now...

·
Registered
198 Posts
I'm not talking about the standard lean fuel issues that people have to deal with at 3,000-5000 rpm when the bike is new. This is a new issue. For 7000mi the bike has run very well. Then within 2 hours of riding this new situation was fully developed. Once I'm already at speed but with throttle closed, then gradually opening throttle, like in the middle of a corner. It jerks and stumbles severly. 4-6000 rpm is worst.

Checked the clutch plates for wear?

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
The rear brake issue is nothing major. It must be diagnosed to determine what failed. Leaking fluid is usually a hydraulic line bolt or washer service. If it leaked from the caliper, then the drain nipple needs attention.

I would clean up any fluid mess, refill the rear reserv. And test the system to find the leak. Again, not very hard to address.

Best of luck sorting it out. It is important to do as the owners manual of all bikes state, perform pre ride checks of fluids, check chain tension, tire wear, engine leaks. I always treated new bikes just like a used bike, and be mindful of watching over the bike as its odometer clicks thru the miles.

Auto corect disabledh

·
Registered
635 Posts

I was replying to the OP's concerns and focusing on his problem, not so much your post that followed although you seem to share the same issue.

I'm not familiar with your bikes' configuration as to exhaust / air filter / ecu or other mods that may be affecting it but if it does as you describe there is cause for concern.

I can't tell you which thread contains "the answer" because many of them solved the problem in varying degrees for different people with different setups. If there was only one concrete answer there would just be one thread stickied in the FAQ's forevermore.

I still think it's related to fueling, it just may take a while to find the solution that works for your bike. I still have some areas I'd like to smooth out and I've not decided which route to go yet, but a good running bike is not impossible to achieve. Best of luck to you both!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
OP, sorry to hear you are having some downer experiences with your SF, but I have to wonder if you are somehow actually enjoying this misfortune, after all your forum name seems pretty masochistic :)

That stumble between 4-6k could be par for the course or something more like what Proheli is fighting - only further experience or a top mechanic will tell you. That rear brake fluid thing is puzzling, but you don't say whether you've done any line replacement or other farkling, or whether you may have taken your SF down one of BC's bumpier roads, jarring the crap out of the rear assembly in some abnormal way. And those shift issues: even on an 848 4-5, let alone 5-6, involve big road speed unless you are at basement revs while attempting to shift. In my experience, shifts tend to be sloppy and non-positive if you attempt them at too low revs. Mr. Neeve's video advice may help in any case.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts