Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
BTW, those top speed numbers are purely mathematical. In fact, there's a good chance that the top speeds would be higher than the math would indicate since the stock Multistrada cannot reach redline in top gear. More gearing leverage could achieve a top speed closer to stock albeit at a higher RPM.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Another question before I start cutting links...108 links with a 15/42 would put the hub more forward than stock, 110 links would make a long wheelbase, but the adjustment would now be little to none ?

Stock gearing, is the hub in a central adjustment location ?

·
Registered
937 Posts
@FalArAk
I can't comment for the 1200 but the 1260 has a longer swing-arm which necessitates a 120 link cut down to approximately 116~117. I can't remember which as my dealer did the cutting. I suspect the hub is positioned on the short end to take-up the slack as the chain stretches.

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Using a 14 on the front means unless your chain adjustment is perfect the chain can start eating into the rubber chain guards on the swing arm.

·
Premium Member
170 Posts
I’ve got about 5000 miles on a 14 front. I definitely enjoy the benefits of lower gearing in most situations, the exception being high speed highway driving. Fifth and sixth end up being too close together, so dropping it into sixth at 80-90 doesn’t provide much relief.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I made this this change when my chain went bad at 17000mi. Best model yet. Smooths everything out so far. Worth it 530 quick change kit 15/42 question sometimes if I want to go 14/42 has anyone do e this let me know. 2017 1200s touring.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Installed my father's day present yesterday. I liked the idea of the quick change sprocket, and I went with the 15/42 combo. It woke the bike up and, as a side benefit, my speedo now reads the correct speed (checked with a GPS).
The factory ducati 530 chain was too much for my D.I.D. chain breaker pin. I should have ground the pin heads, but I wanted to test the durability, and since the instructions don't say it's required I gave it a go.

·
Registered
937 Posts
... my speedo now reads the correct speed (checked with a GPS).
Welcome to the club. :) I have the same quick change carrier set-up on the Monster as shown although I don't plan to use that flexibility as I like the +2R gear ratio.
IMGP0015.JPG

My pet peeve is the Speedo Error.
I've toyed with the Multistrada's tire calibration setting (upside-down and all around) and still can't get it to match the GPS. What did you do to get it to track in sync?

·
Registered
45 Posts
What did you do to get it to track in sync?
I'm running the stock Scorpion Trail 2's at the recommended pressure. My speedo used to consistently read 4mph faster than I was actually going since the day I got it. The only thing I changed this weekend was the new sprocket, lightweight carrier, and chain. From 1-40mph the speed matches my GPS, and from approximately 40-70mph it was only reading 1mph over, which is close enough for me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gearing doesn't have any effect on the speedo reading, speed sensor is on the rear wheel.
I do remember seeing the front and rear have their own independent speed sensors. I assumed there had to be some sort of ECU calculations being made between the two sensors and engine revs. If the displayed speed is truly coming directly from the rear speed sensor, then Ducati just sources garbage speed sensors?

·
Sophomore Member
2,811 Posts
The reason it has multiple wheel speed sensors is for ABS and traction control. The back one is all that feeds into the speedo. There is no reason for the speed to be over complicated with utilizing both and engine speed.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Increasing the size of the rear sprocket should not affect the speedo as the rear wheel diameter is unchanged and is still turning at the same "wheel rpm" relative to true speed. Changing the sprocket only affects "engine rpm" relative to true speed. The speedo error solution must lie elsewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you read through the owners handbook you will see that all the speedo`s are calibrated to be 8% over, page 18. A product called the "Speedo Healer" is available can can be set to correct a specific %, I have mine at 7.5%, this also corrects the odometer which is also overstating the mileage by 8%.

Vehicle speed indicator
This function displays vehicle speed (Km/h or mph
depending on the set measurement system).
The instrument panel receives information about the actual
speed (calculated in km/h) and displays the number
increased by 8%.
Maximum speed displayed is 299 km/h (186 mph).
Over 299 km/h (186 mph) a series of

161 - 180 of 186 Posts