Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

121 - 140 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
You know, a few weeks ago I rode a Multistrada for the first time. Now this was in Florida where the roads are even less curvy than Texas but I didn't think it was over geared at all. To clarify, I'm not one who thinks one must cruise in top gear. I choose whatever gear suits the situation and have no problem running in 5th all day if that's what's called for.
I agree, I haven't seen any need to regear.. Power in 1-2-3 is just fine for almost every situation, and cruising in 4th or 5th on rural roads works. 6th is fine for freeway, might have to downshift if you want to get on it.
Some of the tight twisties have me in 1st, but if I went shorter gears it'd be more power than I'd want in 1-2 for that stuff. Depends on what people ride, I guess.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Mine is mapped and running 15/42.
Perfect match, and it runs silky smooth down to 2000rpm or so. One of the things I asked tomtom to fix when doing the mapping.
TB with the Termi map made for flawless running down to 2000 RPM with 15/40. It is so good I haven't even bothered to dyno tune it - although I should one of these days.

·
Registered
916 Posts
In the 5th day of a 5 day ride all around Colorado on my stock geared multi and been thinking about this thread. I have been in 6th gear for a good duration of the trip and its a very useful gear at 55-60mph plus (over 3k rpm). I think the stock gearing is perfect for the street. Certainly the multi isn't deficient in acceleration in any gear.

Been having a blast on my bike this trip and making lots of improvements in my riding skills. I've been transitioning nice and smooth from one cheek off to the other and have almost mastered blipping the throttle for smooth downshifts. Good times. Here's a photo of my favorite road so for. Highway 92 southbound to 50.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
...I have been in 6th gear for a good duration of the trip and its a very useful gear at 55-60mph plus (over 3k rpm)...
Weird. My 2010 Multi would have trouble at 4,000RPM in 6th let alone 3,000. Before changing the gearing, it would be labouring in 6th at anything below about 4,500-5,000 (that's about 70mph).

I wonder if the newer (twin spark?) Multis are better at lower RPM? :confused:

·
Registered
937 Posts
I find the 1260 Multi is geared a bit high. Consequently, I just bit the bullet and ordered an ESJOT 42T 530 steel sprocket.
Will be replacing the chain with an EK 530 ZVX3.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a direct replacement 42T rear sprocket for the 2010- MTS? I do not have the desire to go quick change right now, maybe someday. I did some searching and found in the UK but the site says out of stock. Do not want a smaller front either.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Does anyone know if there is a direct replacement 42T rear sprocket for the 2010- MTS? I do not have the desire to go quick change right now, maybe someday. I did some searching and found in the UK but the site says out of stock. Do not want a smaller front either.
This is in Italy they show stock and shipping to USA. I have NOT ordered here I just found the part by searching. I too am looking for a stock style 42 for my 13 mts.

ESJOT Steel Rear Sprocket 50-35059-42 for Ducati Multistrada 1200 S 10-12 in Steel Rear Sprockets
I purchased one from CarpiMoto. Fast shipping. I've purchased a few things from them previously. Good firm and service.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Multistrada 1260 Gearing Mod

Had the gearing change done yesterday at 1400 km on the Odo.
Definitely not waiting a year or two to change it.
ESJOT 42T Steel Rear Sprocket and DID 530ZVM-X 120 Chain.
Can't say the mod was cheap @ C$650 (US$485) as I had my dealer perform the conversion which labor represents about 40% of the cost.
Oh well, we're not getting any younger.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Filtering and sprockets

I filter quite a bit, and the speeds (right around 20-30mph) are a little high for 1st (too snatchy, even in touring), and too low for 2nd without some clutch.

Thinking about a 14T for the front to bring the gearing down a bit.
Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
937 Posts
I filter quite a bit, and the speeds (right around 20-30mph) are a little high for 1st (too snatchy, even in touring), and too low for 2nd without some clutch.

Thinking about a 14T for the front to bring the gearing down a bit.
Any thoughts or experiences?
I shortened the gearing for very similar reasons you described. I've also had experience with a 14T on my Panigale and enjoyed the outcome albeit the OEM gearing was overly long on that bike. If you've never changed the gearing, 14t is a cheap experiment but harder on the gearbox over a longer term. It's something to try when your chain and sprocket are 3/4 ways down in their lifespan. Once you're ready to replace them, you're now armed with experience to gear the rear sprocket according to your riding style.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Had the gearing change done yesterday at 1400 km on the Odo.
Definitely not waiting a year or two to change it.
ESJOT 42T Steel Rear Sprocket and DID 530ZVM-X 120 Chain.
Can't say the mod was cheap @ C$650 (US$485) as I had my dealer perform the conversion which labor represents about 40% of the cost.
Oh well, we're not getting any younger.
Did you buy your parts in Canada ? if so, which shop ?

thanks man :)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Did you buy your parts in Canada ? if so, which shop ?

thanks man :)

I only wanted a solid steel sprocket for durability. Two piece sprockets with rivets becoming loose and noisy was not an option for me.
Neither was aluminum. Unfortunately, a solid steel 42T is unavailable in Canada.
However, Carpimoto in Italy had one.
This in my third purchase from them: Mirrors, Carbon and now a sprocket.
Good firm with fast shipping.

ESJOT Steel Rear Sprocket 50-35059-42

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently ordered the 530 driveline set from Carpimoto as well to me in Canada with the +2 rear. Took about a week to arrive and I love the change. Price shipped with the better zvx chain was 200E plus $53Cdn additional cost.

·
Premium Member
3,827 Posts
I'm on 14/42 right now... it's a lot of fun (bike gets very 'lively' :-D) but a bit too low for day to day, going back to 15/42 next chain/sprocket swap.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I'm on 14/42 right now... it's a lot of fun (bike gets very 'lively' :-D) but a bit too low for day to day, going back to 15/42 next chain/sprocket swap.
14/42. Lively !!!!! no kidding. That's tractor pulling category & equivalent to +5R >:)
BTW, 15/42 rocks. I would never go back to the OEM 15/40.

·
Registered
48 Posts

·
Registered
937 Posts
sooo just to make sure I got the right ones

https://www.carpimoto.it/en-CA/7211_401584120-DID-530-ZVMX-Gold-Gold-Chain.htm
https://www.carpimoto.it/en-CA/49483_50-35059-42-ESJOT-Stainless-Steel-Rear-Sprocket-Ducati-Multistrada-1200.htm

I'm close to the 15k service, so I figured I could also change the gearing for a smoother riding experience.
based on what I read, +2 on the rear gives you a smoother throttle response at lower speed . less top speed
am i missing something ?
You are all good to go if you have a 1260.
The 1260 stock chain is 114. Consequently, a 120 links is the safe way to go but you'll need to shorten it.
However, the stock chain on a 1200 is 108. Thus I believe a 110 links will suffice to fit a 42T sprocket.
Other 1200 riders should chime-in to confirm.

121 - 140 of 186 Posts