Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got about 750 miles on the new chain and sprockets, couldn't be happier with this very-little-additional-cost upgrade. It should be the OEM setup, puts the bike right in the sweet rpms at the bottom and top ends, significantly more grunt down low and much less need to downshift passing at highway speeds, and a quick check at the top was gratifying - still accelerating when I backed off at 145mph (indicated). Also no loss in gas mileage detected though I know lots of factors here, but seems even easier to average 40+mpg per tank without scrimping on grins.

This set is from sprocketcenter, $409.95 to my door, and $130 to my tech for the install.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Yes I did the same from the Sprocket Centre (good service and nice people) but with the non quick change carrier. Great upgrade, really smoothed it out at low revs then I added the Fat Ducs which made it even better.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Got about 750 miles on the new chain and sprockets, couldn't be happier with this very-little-additional-cost upgrade. It should be the OEM setup, puts the bike right in the sweet rpms at the bottom and top ends, significantly more grunt down low and much less need to downshift passing at highway speeds, and a quick check at the top was gratifying - still accelerating when I backed off at 145mph (indicated). Also no loss in gas mileage detected though I know lots of factors here, but seems even easier to average 40+mpg per tank without scrimping on grins.

This set is from sprocketcenter, $409.95 to my door, and $130 to my tech for the install.
Looks nice Dad ! Were you on the stock gear combination 15/40 and switched to 15/42 at change ?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the second time replacing the chain & sprockets and my first time changing from stock gearing (15/40).

The quick change carrier is "AFAM/Superlite CNC Machined 6061-T6 billet alloy Quick Change Sprocket Carrier (Black or Gold)" (link below).

If I was only replacing the front sprocket, then yes, purchasing a single 14T would be much cheaper, but if you're replacing the whole kit and AFAM/Superlite CNC Machined kaboodle, then the cost differential is much less. In fact, I just checked my records and the dealer charged me $430 the first time for sprockets and chain, so this mod was cheaper.:eek:(may have gotten poked).

Maybe it's the gold but this whole setup looks much beefier than the previous set. Says rated to "1400cc" so I can ride like a 'Busa boy I guess.

530 Sprocket Kit - Quick Change Sprocket Set with Your Choice of X'ring Chain - DUCATI 1200 Multistrada '10-13 - 1200 Multistrada 2010-2013 - Ducati - Sportbike/Touring Sprockets

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
How about $30,- for a 14T front? Same result, much cheaper.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thats the route I went to try the 2.86 gear ratio to see if I liked . My sproks n chain were almost new . 30 bucks seemed alot more logical than just about 500 bucks . Now im in the need for new chain n sproks so ill probably try the 2.80 ratio 15/42 combo. I really liked how the 14tooth pulled out of corners and from the starting line though .

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sweet... I have the same setup on the way... Ordered it last week. I got 20K out of the OEM chain, so no complaints. I'm really looking forward to the 42 rear.

Do you know if you are still at 108 link or 110? I know the place I ordered mine from says the chain comes cut to length.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts

Now if you could just keep the front wheel on the ground.
When it is time this is the route I will go. It was amazing just being down at sea level how much easier the front end lofted, got a few big pucker factors coming hot out of corners before I got used to it. Not that I would ever do it intentionally. :D

·
5,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is the second time replacing the chain & sprockets and my first time changing from stock gearing (15/40).

You've changed your sprockets twice all ready...
How many miles did you get out of each set?
I changed the first set around 18K when it was dragging the ground after a trip to Deals Gap (should have changed it before the trip). And I got almost 11K out of the most recent set. Probably could have gone a little longer but it was close and I was ready for the mod. Did I mention how pleased I am with the performance?

·
Super Moderator
8,173 Posts
Just changed over to 15/42 from Sprocketcenter aswell!
Awesome coincidence to find this thread today. Did it thursday last week aswell as getting a new topbox and centerstand installed.

I opted for 15/42 Superlite steel sprocket set (not quick-change) and DID 530 ZVMX chain.
530 Superlite RS7 Steel Sprocket and Chain Kit

I´m superhappy with the look and feel of the sprockets and chain. I´m guessing it will be on there for a long time!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I usually go down one tooth on my bikes, but in the case of the Multi that might be a bit too much. Now you've got me thinking of doing this after I wear out the original chain and sprocket set. Knowing that the slightly lower gearing won't affect mileage (all that much anyway), and having added friskiness in the lower gears, makes this mod worthwhile.

·
Registered
103 Posts
14t

14T major change in how it feels, now US speed limits fit the engine...

1 - 20 of 159 Posts