Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys
I wanna get some mean torque on the wheel, I have a 96 900ss. Do you guys think 15 front/ 41 rear tooth sprockets are overkill? I dont feel that confident with an upgrade to only a 39 tooth.

Secondly, does anyone know where I can get 5.5" wide monster wheels which are interchangable with my 900ss?

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
I don't know about "mean torque" but I used both a 39T and 40T rear sprocket and they worked well. I used the bike to ride locally and cross country. Much, much better than the 37 T sprocket. If you went to a 41T sprocket would it require a different chain length?

bruce19

·
Registered
231 Posts
I don't think a 41T rear sprocket will be an overkill. I'm running a 39T rear, but on occation I install a 14T front sprocket. The 14/39 combination should be very close to the 15/41. With my 14T fitted, giving full throttle in 1st is lethal! it picks up the front very quickly. With the 15T I find it much more controllable with nice long, low power wheelies. The 14T is however much nicer in slow traffic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok im probably going to order these from ca-cycleworks, i really don't feel like swappin back and forth, would a 15t front and 41t rear require a longer chain?
What about a 14t front and 39t rear?
Is 14t front 41 rear overkill? I would love to try and find out. I love the descriptions you guys are giving, it's getting me pumped up already.
Please lemme know asap so I can order this stuff!!

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well what is better 14/39 or a 15/41? is there any gearing differences the will produce more low end power to the wheel?

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
XDELIRIOUS45X said:
well what is better 14/39 or a 15/41? is there any gearing differences the will produce more low end power to the wheel?
The gearing difference is slight (2%), 1:2.786 for the 14/39, 1:2.733 FOR THE 15/41.

Tom

·
Registered
231 Posts
XDELIRIOUS45X said:
ok im probably going to order these from ca-cycleworks, i really don't feel like swappin back and forth, would a 15t front and 41t rear require a longer chain?
What about a 14t front and 39t rear?
I'm not sure about whether the 15/41 combination would require a longer chain, but the nice thing about the 14/39 combination is that you don't have to change chain length when swapping between the 14T and 15T front sprocket. It takes about 15 minutes to swap the front sprockets and re-adjust the chain and off you go - nice option to have if you're going to do a long trip, just slip on the 15T. When back and mostly do town riding, slip the 14T back on.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah I think I'm going to go with the 14t/39t, I probably won't be swapping the 15t back on, the longest ride I go on is usually down the Jersey Shore, and that only takes about an hour.
Great! Thanks Guy! I'll update with some pics once I get this thing all together.

·
Chilehead
6,985 Posts
Standard length on my SS1000 is 96 as I recall, and I currently have either 98 or 100, not sure which (15/43 gearing), so 108 is more than enough.

Tom

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Don't forget to get the chain breaker / riveter from Chris as well. Saves time in the long run. I did mine with an angle grinder but watched a mate use the breaker.. much nicer.

Mal

·
Registered
58 Posts
XDELIRIOUS45X said:

unless your new combo is lighter then your old. your bike will make the same power at the wheel. your rpm will be higher at any speed. the 14/39 is a 2% increase over the 15/41. not much of a difference. i would go the 14/39 a 2.78 final drive vs the 2.73

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will probably have it put on by the dealer so I'll let them break the chain, i work for a car dealer and by the end of the day im too lazy & tired to work on another vehicle.
yeah im going to go with the 14/39 with the MVXZ X-Ring Red Chain, Should match my conversion well.
Thanks For All the Info! much appreciated
I'll keep ya guys updated!
Mark

1 - 20 of 30 Posts