Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Supersprox has 40 T available.

I just ordered a 41T in 520 for my SF

I will be fitting 15/41 in 520.

William
Santa Cruz, Ca

10 SF

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got mine from my local dealer, Hattar Motorsports. But Motowheels also carries it. (it is a Driven carrier + sprocket)

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Dumb question, why don't you drop a tooth in the front instead, it has plenty of clearence and you won't have to change the chain, also get the same results? 1 in the front = 3 in the rear

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bucknut, did you have to change the chain?

Yes the chain was replaced, They did the work so I dont know what size. I would have prefered not replacing the chain due to the cost but they used a gold one that looks cool on my black bike. I thought with just 2 teeth I would be able to keep the stock chain but I guess not.

·
The Engineer (Tell your mom hey)
1,642 Posts
Dumb question, why don't you drop a tooth in the front instead, it has plenty of clearence and you won't have to change the chain, also get the same results? 1 in the front = 3 in the rear
not a dumb question,, just another way to skin a cat.
changing from a 15t to a 14t in the front increases the teeth stress much more than going from a 38 to a 40 in the rear. in the rear you can get a system that will allow you to have multiple (quick change) sprockets.
Also you can go half steps, if you want to call it that; for example, go for a 41t or a 39t.
Personally I am strongly contemplating a 41t over just a 40t. I had a 42t on the rear of my last duc and it was great, but very much more limited on the top end.
I'm sure a single tooth in the rear is not really that big a deal but I am a compromiser.. and I liked the 42 tooth but don't want to go that high, and see the advantage of a 40t.. so 41 is right in between. I can't make that compromise with a front sprocket.

The only real advantage to doing the front sprocket is cost (arguably it's a significant advantage), and maybe a slightly less bit of rotating mass, but not much less.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I went to a 40 and had to change the chain also. And yeah, the gold looks nice on a black bike.

On my old Monster I was running 14-41, as most of the roads I ride are pretty much 2nd gear with occasional 3rd.

In stock form the SF always seemed to be needing to be in a different gear on these roads: first was too low, second too high. Going to the 40T was a big improvement and now I'm back to mostly being in second. But I think I could have gone higher still, maybe 41 or 42. On the freeway, with a 40T, the bike is still running pretty low in the rev range at 70-80 mph speeds. And I'm guessing on track you'd still probably not get to top gear except on a super long straight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed the Yoyodyne quick change hub and a 41T sprocket.

Tried to spin the eccentric adjuster and the rear tire hit the swingarm when using the stock 525 chain.

I wanted to test it before I put the gold chain on to see if I had to.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
If you go down one in the front and one up in the rear, you can keep the stock chain. One down in the front is roughly equal to two in the back.

Driven makes a nice lightened front sprocket:
DRIVEN Front Sprocket: Testastretta/ DS 14T-525 $24.95

We are using the Driven Quick Change sprocket /carrier on our Streetfighter project bike:

DRIVEN Quick Change Sprocket Carrier: 1098
DRIVEN Quick Change Sprocket: 1098 525

We use the Stealth sprocket on our 1098 project:

SUPERSPROX "Stealth" 525 Sprocket: 1098-1198-SF

-M

1 - 14 of 14 Posts