Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
talking to some young belt riders the other night--couldnt convince them my 76 ss was a 4 valver-no matter how hard i tried

·
Registered
818 Posts
I'm pretty sure there's no way in hell any bevel was ever a 4-valve. The first 4-valve Duc I think, was the 851 in '90.

But, as a not-so-young belter who loves a mechanical challenge, I'ma look tha shit up

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
but everytime ive worked on my heads,ive had to repair/grind/lap/and set 4 valves--2x exhaust and 2x inlet--a 4 valver for sure--came that way from the factory

·
Chilehead
6,984 Posts
Well, the D16 has 16 valves total, not per cylinder, do in that respect it is correct to view a bevel twin as a 4V.

Cars are also normally viewed that way.

Tom

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Somewhere I have a picture of a four valve head for a bevel single... but it's not factory built so I suppose it doesn't count. ;)

It's been done, it's just not cheap. Or even what I'd call affordable. In fact I'd go so far to say it's flippin expensive - I never got a firm price but from what I gathered I'd have at least $10k (US) into it before I was done. :eek:

Yeah... I've been known to overspend on Ducs before but that was a little over the top for me...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Back in 1975 I told a dirty shirt wannabe my 750GT was a prototype Sportster and I was a factory test rider doing durability testing. Yep! 90hp and it will do 150mph. The name on the tank? Just some letters they had lying around.It was all great fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I read where the factory experimented with 4 valve heads for the bevels (both racing & road bikes) but found no advantage over the 2 valve layout.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I saw an article some years ago where an engineering student in the US built 6 valve heads for a bevel as a project and the results were very good. I can't remember which mag or which year.

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
I saw an article some years ago where an engineering student in the US built 6 valve heads for a bevel as a project and the results were very good. I can't remember which mag or which year.
Not a bevel (or desmo for that matter), but Francesco Romanelli built 6-valve heads for belt-drive ducs.

http://www.romoto.com/engines.html

http://www.romoto.com/tema.html

His stuff is pretty far out there. Peripheral plasma discharge ignition...engine cooling via heat-conductive graphite foam...W-9 configurations with gas direct injection...4-valve HD evo motors....torsion-bar rear suspension.

Fascinating stuff.

·
Registered
74 Posts
but everytime ive worked on my heads,ive had to repair/grind/lap/and set 4 valves--2x exhaust and 2x inlet--a 4 valver for sure--came that way from the factory
there are no air cooled bevel with 4 valves per head for serial production engines.

·
Registered
540 Posts
SE84,
Thanks for the interesting info. I would have eventually have had to go and look for that and it would have taken me quite a while.
Ian

·
Registered
350 Posts
I have some pics I could scan I took in Daytona years ago of a TT2 style bike with Honda XT600 heads on it (4 Valve)
Cycle magazine did an article on it in the late 80's early 90's........

How Odd anyone would chose to call their bevel Ducati a 4valve......

Does that mean an 851 is an 8-valve? Odd how how no one ELSE in the world refers to Bevel twins as 4 valve except you..........

Maybe we should call your bike "Shaft-Drive" too

I mean, it IS shaft drive, right? (just not the real wheel like EVERY one else in the world)

I guess if you wanted to be a goofball you could argue it's not an Italian bike, but a Roman bike..... ect.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts