Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning my upgrades of the off-season, and my 1st to-do is change gearing, since mine is stock (14/39). This is for an 06 749 biposto.

1st question - I've read 14 is the lowest you wanna go in the front - is that true?

There are a lot of short tracks in the midwest (blackhawk, putnam, etc) that have pretty short straights, so my current gearing is awful. Fiddling with www.gearingcommander.com, I noticed that going to +3 rear at 11k rpm will hit roughly 153 mph - probably faster than you'll need at blackhawk. Are there any negatives to going +4 in the rear?

Also, chain links - going form 96 links to 97 significantly improves the "sprocket and chain wear" on gearingcommander. is there any issues with this?

Last one - 525 or 520?

This is for a track-only bike, no street miles at all.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
No problems there. I ran 520 14/43 on my 749 and liked it. It was a little short for longer/faster tracks, but livable. IIRC, I had 100 links to get the swingarm just a bit longer than stock... on my R, 14/40 with 98 links gets you 495mm swingarm length.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, great info, thanks!

we also have Road America, which is a pretty long track. even then, the stock gearing (with a stock motor/exhaust/ecu) is too tall! never even hit 6th there. so, maybe i'll buy two sprockets....you know, putnam has a long straight....ok maybe 3....god dammit...

i'm really excited to see what proper track gearing will be like. too bad i have to wait about 7-8 months.....damn wisconsin....

·
Registered
228 Posts
Going 4 up in the back was the best thing that ever happened for my bike. Around town it helps and on the highway at 55 I don't have to switch back and forth from 5th / 6th to keep the bike from jerking. Well I guess that won't help the OP out on the track, but the acceleration out of the slower corner is great.

To the OP are you racing or running trackdays?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
trackdays - but my goal is to get my race license early next season, and grid up for a few races.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
follow-up question:

If i just bought a +4 (43T) rear spocket, would my stock chain (96 links, I believe) be long enough?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
darn-

I was hoping to go cheap and just buy a rear sprocket without having to buy a new chain, as my stock stuff only has about 5k miles on.

well, that makes 520 more appealing...

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Not to take any biz away from our sponsors... but you can find good chain/sprocket kits on eBay for about $150. The RK/Vortex kits come to mind. Good kit, but you'll probably want to ensure you get a rivet masterlink if the kit comes with a "clip" style link (most do)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
150, that's pretty cheap. so far I haven't found any complete kits, but I haven't checked ebay...

maybe i'll support my local ducati dealer....oh wait, they're closing oct 31....

:(

·
Registered
357 Posts
150, that's pretty cheap. so far I haven't found any complete kits, but I haven't checked ebay...

maybe i'll support my local ducati dealer....oh wait, they're closing oct 31....

:(
Which one is closing?

·
Registered
235 Posts
follow-up question:

If i just bought a +4 (43T) rear spocket, would my stock chain (96 links, I believe) be long enough?
No. You will need to add 2 links. 14/43 seems a bit too much...esp for BHF. For reference, I used to race a 748/853 in CCS. @BHF I used 14/41 and it was perfect. For Road America, I used 15/38. My .02

·
Registered
923 Posts
i went to a 40t on my 999, goood mod.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks for the info kerlyb-

my only reference is gearingcommander.com, and with a +4 rear it gives a top speed of 150mph - well more than I've ever seen at BHF or Putnam.

15/38? when i was at road america, with stock gearing, I barely got into 5th.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts